Why is the Regal in dry dock?

Giovanina

We've cruised on the Regal the last two years and like the ship very much (we'll miss her when she leaves the fleet this summer). I check the bridge cam most every day and for the past 3-4 days she has been in dry dock in Balboa. Does anyone know what's happened and why she's there? She was scheduled to make a 12 day trip from San Juan to Lima, sailing on March 1st. Would be grateful for any info anyone has.

We've cruised on the Regal the last two years and like the ship very much (we'll miss her when she leaves the fleet this summer). I check the bridge cam most every day and for the past 3-4 days she has been in dry dock in Balboa. Does anyone know what's happened and why she's there? She was scheduled to make a 12 day trip from San Juan to Lima, sailing on March 1st. Would be grateful for any info anyone has.

2/20/2007

Update on Regal Princess

Prior to Regal Princess' arrival yesterday in Acapulco, it was discovered that the ship had sustained some damage to one of its ballast tanks. Following an assessment of the damage and the associated circumstances, it has been determined that the ship touched bottom as it was departing Huatulco on February 18.

At no time during the subsequent sailing to Acapulco was the safety of our passengers and crew compromised.

It has been determined that the required repairs will unfortunately take longer than we had originally anticipated, and we deeply regret that it is necessary to cancel this current cruise. The ship was scheduled to depart yesterday, February 19, on a 10-day Panama Canal sailing between Acapulco and San Juan.

We are making arrangements to return passengers home and, in the meantime, they will be staying aboard Regal Princess, with all the ship's services available to them.

As a result of the cancelled voyage, we will give passengers a full refund, including air fare. We will further provide passengers with a future cruise credit equal to 35% of the cruise fare paid for this voyage.

Following some preliminary repairs to Regal Princess, it will proceed to a dry dock where repairs will be undertaken. At this time we expect that the following cruise may also be impacted, but the extent is not yet known. We hope to provide this information as soon as possible. The next sailing, a 12-day South America voyage, is scheduled to depart on March 1. There are 1,552 passengers and 683 crew aboard Regal Princess.

2-21-07

Following further assessment of the damage to Regal Princess after it touched bottom on February 18 upon departure from Huatulco, Mexico, we deeply regret that it is now necessary to cancel the March 1 South America voyage departing from San Juan.

The time required to make the necessary repairs is, unfortunately, longer than we had originally hoped.

As a result of this cancellation, we will give passengers a full refund, including air fare. We will further provide passengers with a future cruise credit equal to 25% of the cruise fare paid for this voyage. The ship will proceed tomorrow to a dry dock where repairs will be undertaken. The next sailing, a 12-day South America voyage between Lima, Peru and San Juan, will operate as scheduled on March 13.

Thank you so much for such an informative response to my question. Glad it was nothing more serious, but I am sorry for all the passengers. I know how much I look forward to our cruises/trips and how disappointing it would be for it to all go wrong!

Archived