sport jackets for formal?

sm76

We went on the Explorer in Sept, 5 day to Bermuda, we thought since it was a short cruise that it would be less formal and but we still decided to dress like we normally do for formal, hubby in dark suit and me in a long dress. Boy were we wrong. The bulk were dressed to the nines, with probably 60% in tuxes and lots of sparkles and spangles and we got to witness the Maitre D turn away those who were in casual attire. It was the first cruise that I had been on these boards regularly so I made a point of paying attention when I saw the group obviously not dressed in formal. Flame me if you wish, but I was thrilled they were turned away.

I'm not strongly on one side of this issue or the other. I enjoy wearing a suit and tie for formal nights. It's not like it gives me a rash or anything. I also enjoy a bit of formality occasionally, and a cruise formal night is one of those occasions. At the same time, it does not give me a rash if someone does not dress formally on formal night.

However, when I see someone without a tie or even a jacket at formal dinner, I just have to wonder why. Why not get into the formality for a couple hours or so? It's fun. It's not stuffy. It's not like you're expected to bow to the queen or do some formal waltz in the center of the dining room. Just relax, get into it, and enjoy. Then, after dessert, head back to your room and change for the rest of the night. You'll do that, anyhow.

D

I'm not strongly on one side of this issue or the other. I enjoy wearing a suit and tie for formal nights. It's not like it gives me a rash or anything. I also enjoy a bit of formality occasionally, and a cruise formal night is one of those occasions. At the same time, it does not give me a rash if someone does not dress formally on formal night.

However, when I see someone without a tie or even a jacket at formal dinner, I just have to wonder why. Why not get into the formality for a couple hours or so? It's fun. It's not stuffy. It's not like you're expected to bow to the queen or do some formal waltz in the center of the dining room. Just relax, get into it, and enjoy. Then, after dessert, head back to your room and change for the rest of the night. You'll do that, anyhow.

D

Nicely put!!!!

My fiance doesn't own a suit, he doesn't need one for his line of work. He will wear a shirt and tie for formal night (same as he does to all the weddings we have gone to) and if there are people who don't like than they can go cry in their soup. I'm sorry, I'm not going to make him go buy a suit just for the cruise that will then hang in his closet unworn for who knows how long.

I love to dress up...I will be in a full length gown. Does it bother me that my fiance will not be to the same level of "formal"? No, of course not, so why does it bother any of you?!?!?

Live and let live.

The word "SUGGESTED" is exactly what is printed in the Daily Planner that is received in the Cruise Compass. The cruise lines can not force you to wear what is suggested by their ideals. The only type of dress that they can deny into the dining room is shorts.........and on our last b2b........we saw many coming in shorts on casual nights.

BTW......when RCI starts paying for our cruises......then we shall dress like they "suggest". Until then.......we shall dress attractively and will not be an embarrassment to our tablemates.

My family and I enjoyed our first cruise this past December on the Voyager. We packed semi-casual wear (dress for me, sportcoat for dh, nice pants and shirts for the kiddos) and planned to skip the formal nights. We did skip the first formal night and when we returned the next night our waiter and the headwaiter asked what we had done the night before. When we explained that we hadn't brought formal wear, nor did we want to wear formal wear, they told us that it simply wasn't necessary. They were so kind and sweet and honestly seemed like they would be disappointed if we didn't come to the last formal night. So for the next formal night dh wore said sportcoat (with tie), I wore the nice dress, and the kids cleaned up nicely as well:) At the table right next to us was a family with the father in a tux, the mother in an evening gown, and their little girls in beautiful, frilly dresses. At the table across from us was a group where the men were wearing tropical shirts and the ladies in sundresses.

Here's the thing...everyone looked like they were having a good time! Our headwaiter spent a lot of time talking about this issue with us and he said that the "formal night" was really a thing of the past and was fading away. He said that people are on vacation and they want to relax and for most (not all!) that means not dressing up. He said to never let the formal night keep us from the dining room and I'm so glad he did:) The food is so much better than in the Windjammer as is the ambience.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I don't think that those people who don't want to wear suits, tuxes, or gowns are being disrespectful. Quite honestly I just don't want the hassle of having to pack all of that stuff! The other thing is that I'm so busy enjoying my food and talking to my family about how much fun we're having I really don't have the time to look around and criticize everyone else.

So, all of that to say enjoy your cruise and dress how you want to dress. It really is okay:)

Archived