Cell and Data at sea

parislady40

I recently received my docs, and after carefully going through the package, I stumbled on a leaflet that says we can have phone calls, text messages, and other services on our cell phones at sea. Billing is to be through our home provider. I am new to the large HAL ships, and as a newbie, the question is whether this is relatively new and also is it just the roaming charges as on your cell bill? Surely there is a charge for being able to use the ships wireless system? Has anyone who has used it clarify? This is not the internet use, but cell phone use while at sea. It says the service is turned of when nearing the ports for connection through their local wireless networks.

This is not the internet use, but cell phone use while at sea. It says the service is turned of when nearing the ports for connection through their local wireless networks.

I think you are charged something like $2.00 a minute for cell-based access ... be that text messaging or telephone calls or Blackberry usage. It's a heck of a lot cheaper, though, that a ship to shore telephone call from your cabin.

My opinion is not a popular one, but I personally am thrilled to have cell service at sea ... if for nothing else than emergencies. I like to be reachable if there is a major problem at home, like an illness or a death. But, I think at the per minute charge, you're not gonna get people yacking it up as you would at home, so I don't think it's gonna be the sort of problem a lot of people are envisioning.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Rita, I totally agree with you. I have had a brother die while I was travelling. I have my phone for emergency use only. I need to feel that if someone needs me, if not only for guidance, I am available. Some people leave older parents, children,etc, for the joy of cruising when possible. Sometimes, a phone gives the freedom to do that.

Note that on any HAL ship you can purchase a prepaid phone card for $25.00. Using this to call from our cabin back to Canada gave us 12 minutes or a fraction over $2.00 per minute, so if the cell phone base use is $2.00 per minute from Hal plus whatever your provider charges, I would stay with the prepaid phone card.

Note that on any HAL ship you can purchase a prepaid phone card for $25.00. Using this to call from our cabin back to Canada gave us 12 minutes or a fraction over $2.00 per minute, so if the cell phone base use is $2.00 per minute from Hal plus whatever your provider charges, I would stay with the prepaid phone card.

It is NOT $2.00 per minute from HAL. There will be NO charge on your shipboard account. the charge will appear on your cellphone bill as an international call at whatever rate your carrier chooses to charge. Look on your provider's website for international roaming. You will probably find ships from several lines listed along with rates and phone compatibility information. Most carriers require you to activate international roaming before your cruise.

Archived