Roll Call - Aquafest Halloween Cruise 10/28/07 - 11/04/07

gmhohio

Interesting article Anthvick. It's nice to see we've been noticed by the press in St. Maarten. It's also refreshing to see a newspaper in the Caribbean take a positive viewpoint about our arriving on their island.

The one thing that makes me wonder about the campaign of St. Maarten United Ministerial Foundation (SMUMF) to stop a so-called gay cruise from coming to the island on November 1, was how were the SMUMF people going to tell the difference between the GLBT and straight people? I like everyone else have seen some rather effeminate appearing straight men as well as some very masculine appearing straight women, while at the same time seeing extrememly masculine gay men and very feminine lesbians. Oh well....

Guess SMUMF just feels that everyone on the ship is a sinner waiting to be saved. Hmm, must be the fact that there's an ice rink on the ship.... :D

Less than four months to go and I need to figure out how I'm going to fit all my clothes in two suitcases less than 50 pounds.

Have a good one and a great weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

After reading some of the reviews and responses posted, my partner & I (new to cruising) are still lost about what excursions to take. He wants to go snorkeling, and we both like seeing what the destination is all about (city and country tours). We're both pretty active vacationers, so no laying around the beach for us.

We were thinking snorkeling in the Bahamas, but not sure what we want to do in the other 2 destinations. Sounds like shopping in St. Thomas is the thing to do, but I've also heard to head to St. John's and go snorkeling there, like the Aquafest-suggested excursion.

After reading Anthvick's recent link to a St. Maarten newspaper article suggesting a possibly unfriendly reception in St. Maarten, we're interested in what other Aquafesters are planning to do there? The Aquafest-suggested excursion in St. Maarten (day on the beach) didn't interest us. I read about Bernard of SXM tours in several postings...anybody hire him before? Not sure how gay-friendly the different choices would be.

Thanks for any comments!

HI Glenn, Gregg, Daffyd & everybody,

We are interested in going to Universal Studios on Saturday if we can join up with who is going also. We would love to meet up along the way with others. Our friends/family just are not interested in cruising so we go are going it alone.

Email me at andybar10@hotmail.com

Andy

Hey Andy,

That sounds like a great idea! I'll email you at your hotmail account to get/give details. Anyone else up for a web adventure with Spiderman or braving the Revenge of the Mummy?

• 2 weeks later...

On St Martin Pete & I were adopted for the day by a lovely str8 couple. We took a taxi from the Dutch side over to France & snorkeled at Pinel Island. You take a boat over & there's a little lunch place you can have dinner & a Heineken for $10. (This was in 1995).

We had fun all day, Steve

Costume?

jerij

For the cruise, jerij. Was not assuming you were going to dress up like Uncle Sam or Betsy Ross for the fourth. Besides, it's a little warm for powdered wigs! :p

I'm relatively new to the CC boards, and fairly experienced with cruising and with Pied Piper.

I don't know anything about AquaFest, though... other than what is on their website. I thought I had heard that it had a rather higher "sexual temperature" than the Pied Piper trips. It's certainly a bargain price for being among the first on Eurodam (if available, and if you don't mind hurricane risk), but I don't know enough to make a decision.

Anybody have experience across some of these options that could do a comparison?

Hi David,

There are usually in the neighborhood of 400 - 500 Aquafest Cruisers at Halloween. As you pointed out, it is during Hurricane Season but the ship would avoid any port with storm damage.

I've been on two Aquafest Cruises to date and can tell you from experience that the temperature settings can be wherever you choose to set them. In short you can set the temperature somewhere between 'Nunnery' and 'Bath House', it's your choice. Since it is a mixed cruise as opposed to a charter, one must exercise some discretion.

Hope this answers your question.

I'm relatively new to the CC boards, and fairly experienced with cruising and with Pied Piper.

I don't know anything about AquaFest, though... other than what is on their website. I thought I had heard that it had a rather higher "sexual temperature" than the Pied Piper trips. It's certainly a bargain price for being among the first on Eurodam (if available, and if you don't mind hurricane risk), but I don't know enough to make a decision.

Anybody have experience across some of these options that could do a comparison?

I didn't find the week to be all that tawdry. Sure, if you want to "advertise" your availability for a tryst (or two) you will certainly be able connect with someone. Unlike an "all-gay" cruise where the ship is chartered, you are not likely to find overt sexual activity in public areas. IMHO such activity is much more likely to take place in passenger cabins and such is a bit more "discreet". I actually find it to be a pretty good atmosphere. There is a large enough critical mass of guys/gals at the group functions so that flirtations take place, but not so crazy over the top that you're stepping over intertwined bodies on the deck when all you want to do is sunbathe or stargaze.

I don't know much about the Pied Piper groups, but I believe they are much smaller groups of people, and Im not sure if they throw the same type of parties that Aquafest does. You put several hundred homos in a lounge, throw in costumes and booze, and you'll get bumping and grinding on the dance floor. Dont' know if that would happen with a Pied Piper group.

Just wanted to drop in and say hello to everyone going on the Aquafest cruise. This will be our first AF cruise but we have made a number of bear group cruises in the past. We have always found sailing with a gay group aboard a regular cruise to be a lot of fun - with little or no issues. There are four of us going from St. Louis. I'm BJ and my DH is Dave. Looking forward to meeting all of you.

Hi BJ,

Welcome aboard to you and Dave. I'm sure that you will find the group a lot of fun with a lot of nice people. Looking forward to meeting you all from St. Louis. It's always great having fellow midwesterners around.

Hi to everyone:

We just wanted to say that we are looking forward to seeing everyone again as well as making new friends. It's going to be a super cruise this year. Still working on costumes but we'll get there.

We're already booked for next year and I've listed info on that cruise and the entertainment on the Yahoo group.

Less than three months to go. Serenity now! Glenn and Shane

Where is everyone staying this year???

Staying? Have room numbers been assigned? God, I've got to read my mail!

In Orlando, I'm staying at the Parliament House on Saturday night. (Guess that puts me in the trash section) On the boat, who's game?

Just got back from Puerto Vallarta tonite. Plane delayed, lost luggage, have to work tomorrow which I won't now make....

Well, traveling by myself on this cruise too and SOOOOO looking forward to it. Everytime I travel with someone people think I'm part of a couple. I think solo vacations are the thing for me from now on.

BTW, don't do PV in the summer. No tourists, too hot, lots of places closed for the season. However, you can still have fun... :-) (even when you're with a friend....)

jerij

Hi to everyone:

We just wanted to say that we are looking forward to seeing everyone again as well as making new friends. It's going to be a super cruise this year. Still working on costumes but we'll get there.

We're already booked for next year and I've listed info on that cruise and the entertainment on the Yahoo group.

Less than three months to go. Serenity now! Glenn and Shane

Where is everyone staying this year???

Where's the info for this if you don't mind me asking.?

We joined the aquafest yahoo group today - we are starting to get *really* excited! We are stumped about costumes tho - got to get something going soon as I assume there will be some FABULOUS ones on board!

See y'all there!

Frank and Richard:cool:

I was shocked to read the article about the religious groups in St. Maarten petitioning to have our ship diverted from their port! Seems they are deliberately trying to scare folks by telling them that all 3,100 passengers will be gay, and that "they don't need the gay dollar". Well I immediately sent an email to the St. Maarten tourism board trying to let them know the truth, that we were a group and there would be 2500+ (presumably) heterosexual folks that they would be turning away due to their ignorance. I can't imagine that they would take these zealots' complaints seriously, but with all the bad press around Jamaica these days it makes you wonder. I have to admit I am reconsidering whether I will disembark in that port now...

Frank

OK, I got my flight booked today. This makes it official! I feel like I'm really going now.

Just as an FYI, I'm flying in on the Saturday and staying at the Parliament House in Orlando. I don't know if any other SINGLES are coming along on the cruise (usually a few), but the PH is a good alternative if you don't have someone already lined up to do the Disney/Universal/etc.

I'm probably not doing a costume this year. I was traveling with a cock-blocker last year but at least his SO had done costumes for us. I'm traveling by myself this time and costumes aren't something I'm good at :D.

Let the countdown begin..... 78 days!

jerij

Archived