Question about upgrades

rockstarmama

:confused: I keep reading on here about folks that get awesome surprise upgrades -- Particularly on Carnival. I am getting ready to take my second ever cruise and very first with Carnival. One thing that I wish I had done was actually seek advice from a TA now that I have read so much. We got a super great deal on an inside cabin (with a residency discount), but I now realize that we probably qualified for a military discount and/or much lower rates for the 3rd, 4th or 5th person. We are traveling with our three kids and got a cabin for 5. However, we are paying the same rate for each of us. In retrospect, I would have paid more for the two adults to get more of a discount on the kids.

Is there anyway to actually request a free upgrade if available on the ship? I have heard people say that they were notified last minute of an upgrade from a grade 4 to an 8 or something. I am still learning the ins and outs of getting the best cruising value. With three girls, I'm also thinking we should have booked 2 cabins that connect or something like that (two bathrooms would be optimal.... don't know what I was thinking....;-)..... is it too late to try to request something like that if I can't get an upgrade? Should I just try calling Carnival and see what they say? I booked through Priceline cruises... never used them before, so I don't know the procedure.

Any advice or wisdom would be greatly appreciated:)

rockstarmama,

If you booked through a TA that is who you have to call. Carnival will not talk to you directly but they will give your TA the upgrades or credit if it is available and have them pass it on to you.

I am REALLY surprised that you paid the same rate for all 5 in your family. With you all in the same cabin. I have never heard of that before (but I could be wrong) In most cases the fare for the first 2 is much higher than the other people in the cabin. (maybe this is because you have 5 to a cabin and got a great rate!) We've never had a cabin for five. We've always booked the kids in a separate cabin.

Regardless, I would do a little research (on Carnivals website) on your cruise with the correct sail date and see if you see a better price in the category you have chosen. If you see a better deal call your TA and bug the heck out of them to get you a reduced rate or upgrade!

We did not receive an upgrade until less than 2 weeks from our sail date. Although I know others on our same cruise were getting them a bit earlier.

Good luck!

If you see a better deal call your TA and bug the heck out of them to get you a reduced rate or upgrade!

The OP said she used Priceline. I don't know if you ever tried to call Priceline, but it's almost impossible. Good luck with that idea.

I'm aggravated with Carnival's website, I booked thru a TA and had a cabin change, she said a glitch with Carnival's web site, so she booked one cabin and then got the one I wanted. The confirmation from Carnival doesnt show a booking # with the correct cabin # and Carnival's site when you log in with your booking # doesnt show your cabin # like say RCI's site.

I called Carnival who refuses to confirm my cabin # and I dont want just a verbal confirmation from my TA, I want to see it in writing.

Im so aggravated with the Carnival rep who was so rude, saying my TA was making it up about a glitch in their system, and about how I cant get any info from Carnival's website, they block it if you go thru a TA, Im in a mood to cancel my Carnival cruise and go back to another cruise line who is nicer. The rep was very rude calling my TA a liar and his whole attitude toward their poor web design.

I dont think I should have to sign into my Fun Pass when I cant see which cabin # my booking # is associated with, I call that poor web design and a sneaky way to discourage booking thru a TA.

The OP said she used Priceline. I don't know if you ever tried to call Priceline, but it's almost impossible. Good luck with that idea.

:( Sorry I was just trying to be helpful. I actually used them to book my upcoming cruise. That's why I made the suggestions I did. I was trying not to mention company names. Just something I avoid!

Don't give up Op there is hope!

:( Sorry I was just trying to be helpful. I actually used them to book my upcoming cruise. That's why I made the suggestions I did. I was trying not to mention company names. Just something I avoid!

Don't give up Op there is hope!

I didnt mean any harm, so sorry. I just know from real experience how hard Princeline can be to deal with. I did Credit Card Disputes with Amex and we used to attempt to call Priceline on CM's behalf...they just don't answer calls very well is the nicest thing I can say about that. Iv dealt with them hundreds of times, not just a few times.

I thought I was being nice in my good luck to the OP in dealing with them, based on my own experiences, didnt mean it to come out and upset you.

I do deal with online agencies, used a online agency 3 times, but you call them and have a rep to call if there are problems. Not my experience with Priceline. I was sincere, I hope the OP has better luck with them than Iv had.

:confused: We got a super great deal on an inside cabin (with a residency discount), but I now realize that we probably qualified for a military discount and/or much lower rates for the 3rd, 4th or 5th person. We are traveling with our three kids and got a cabin for 5. However, we are paying the same rate for each of us. In retrospect, I would have paid more for the two adults to get more of a discount on the kids.

Is there anyway to actually request a free upgrade if available on the ship? I have heard people say that they were notified last minute of an upgrade from a grade 4 to an 8 or something. I am still learning the ins and outs of getting the best cruising value. With three girls, I'm also thinking we should have booked 2 cabins that connect or something like that (two bathrooms would be optimal.... don't know what I was thinking....;-).....

First of all, take a look at your confirmation from Priceline and see what their policies are for making changes. (I'm assuming you haven't made final payment yet so that's a good thing) Can you cancel with them and not incur a penalty? Can you make any changes without paying penalty?

Then, do you have a dedicated TA at priceline or can you talk to anyone that answers the phone? If it's a particular one, call them and nicely talk to them and tell them what you've booked and that you're a newbie about this and ask for their help.

Some places will give you one freebie change or no change fee if it results in you paying more $$. If you can make changes, then I would ask them about switching you from what you're in to 2 adjoining cabins (choose whichever level you are comfortable with - inside, ocean view, balcony, etc.) Tell them you are eligible for a military discount. See how much that would be compared to what you are paying now. Tell them it would be you and two of the kids in one, and dh and the other child in the other. (You have to book it that way for Carnival). Now if this is too much money for you, then ask what else can you can do? Can you book one suite for the five of you? What would the best rate (military or resident rate) be?

You should always be getting one rate for the first two people and then 3rd and on gets reduced rates. But sometimes you can get some pretty good rates for two adjoining cabins. I don't think with adjoining you would be able to choose a "gty" for whatever level you're asking about, but you could still request upgrades if they came available but specify that you want to be ASKED ahead of time so that you can make sure that the upgrade includes all of you.

If all else fails and no one there will help you or let you do anything, you might want to eat any cancellation fee (usually around $50-100) and get out of your booking and call a TA or Carnival and rebook the way you now know would be more desirable for your family.

Hope this helps.

Kim

In my experience, the best way to get an upgrade is to book a Guarantee and not an actual cabin. Unfortunately when you have 5 people, there aren't many places you can be upgraded to, as there are few cabins that can accomodate that many, and some don't at all.

As for military rates, you can book them directly through Carnival or your travel agent should be able to look them up. Their rate code is MMM, but I'm not sure if they'll come up in a plain search.

Since I see your leaving in a couple of weeks you are too late to cancel w/o penalty which is what you would have to do to change to a military rate. Most upgrades are the result of booking a Guarantee be it inside, oceanview or balcony. Most upgrades are Inside to another Inside - just a couple of decks higher. That is why you see the jumping with joy when someone gets an super upgrade - it's so rare. This time your also hampered by 5 in a cabin. Not too many cabins are allowed that many so not sure if you could even book a guarantee with that many people.

Think of it this way... for your next cruise (cause we all know there will be one :-) your much better armed to make choices and ask the right questions of whomever you book with. Now go and enjoy your cruise and the time with your family!

a sneaky way to discourage booking thru a TA.

That is the reason they do it. The other lines have a better relationship with TA's and treat everyone the same on their sites, except Carnival.

If you are getting the same rate for all five people, it is usually because the rate for the first two people is so low., in your case the res. discount. If a MM discount is avalible on a sailing, it usually only applies to the first two people, which will make it as low, or lower than the 3,4 &5th person rate. Not all sailing get the MM discount and it is cabin limited. So, you may already have gottan the best rate:)

On a personal note I would have recommended with three girls two cabins. Been there, done that the hard way:)

Since I see your leaving in a couple of weeks you are too late to cancel w/o penalty which is what you would have to do to change to a military rate. Most upgrades are the result of booking a Guarantee be it inside, oceanview or balcony. Most upgrades are Inside to another Inside - just a couple of decks higher. That is why you see the jumping with joy when someone gets an super upgrade - it's so rare. This time your also hampered by 5 in a cabin. Not too many cabins are allowed that many so not sure if you could even book a guarantee with that many people.

Think of it this way... for your next cruise (cause we all know there will be one :-) your much better armed to make choices and ask the right questions of whomever you book with. Now go and enjoy your cruise and the time with your family!

Yep, well I think I'm just going with what I have for now. We are a close family... we'll just get a little closer for sleeping quarters....lol. I have a feeling that Papa Bear will wind up taking trips to the spa/gym lockers for his showers. He does it now at the Y, so no big adjustment. I may make an attempt at contacting Priceline tomorrow to see if they could change us to 2 cabins... can't hurt to ask.

I tried to price our cruise on Carnival's site with the 3-5 person discounted and found that even with everyone the same, it was still $100 cheaper overall, so no complaints from me... (we got an amazing rate)

I just start reading all of this stuff on here about upgrades and start thinking.... hmmmm..... could be nice;) I have a lot to learn, but I am completely thrilled either way!!!

Archived