Special Diets

ChrissyUK

Has anyone had experience of special diets on Summit? My husband has coeliac disease and requires a gluten free diet. Have sailed with P & O before who were excellent, providing him with gluten free bread and crackers and advising him on which menu choices were suitable. They would also do special sauces or just a plain steak or omlette if he asked.

We did specifiy the dietary requirement when booking.

In the back of the brochure, it says, "For any special dining requirements please advise your TA of....any special food or dietary requirements. All efforts will be made to suit your dining preference."

I know of people with special food needs, diabetics, nut allergies, etc, who've been able to get the help they needed. The menus are designed so that the choices are easy for diabetics and vegetarians (maybe not vegans).

So tell your TA and then go to the dining room after you board and discuss the situation with the M'D to make sure he knows about it and discuss options.

I also learned on our last cruise that you can order things that aren't on the menu. One night our tablemates ordered liver and bacon with onions, spinach and mashed potatoes. Another night they ordered a dinner with curry dishes. The orders had to be placed at least one night ahead of time.

I have food allergies. We were on the summit in dec for 2 weeks.On the first day i met with the executive chef, told him what i could eat ect. EVery nigh after dinner i was given the following nights menu to chose from and the fod was cooked especially for me.They were outstanding. ENJOY YOUR TRIP.

Celebrity does seem to go out of their way to keep all diners happy! I AM vegan and there is a special menu (different every night) for vegetarians with the vegan selections starred. I was quite the envy of my table having both my special menu and the regular one to choose from!

A woman at my table had an alergy to cinnamon. I doubt that is very common. After the first night our waiter always asked in the kitchen and was ready to help her order.

I choose Celebrity in no small part because of their respect for differing eating habits.

best,

kat

ChrissyUK,

Has anyone had experience of special diets on Summit? My husband has coeliac disease and requires a gluten free diet. Have sailed with P & O before who were excellent, providing him with gluten free bread and crackers and advising him on which menu choices were suitable. They would also do special sauces or just a plain steak or omlette if he asked.

We did specifiy the dietary requirement when booking.

I met a gentleman with that condition on my cruise to Hawai'i aboard GTS Infinity last October. He indicated that the diet was no problem at all.

>> 1. It's best to have your travel agent advise the cruise line of your husband's dietary issue when you book. Rest assured that Celebrity will not refuse the booking because of it.

>> 2. Your husband also should advise your waiter and your assistant maitre d'hotel of his dietery issue on the first night. They will assist him to make selections that are gluten free at dinner for the duration of the cruise.

>> 3. At other meals, ask the serving staff if you have any doubt about gluten. Most of them are knowledgeable because it's a fairly common question.

>> 4. And if your husband is Catholic, he shold advise the chaplain of the situation before mass so the chaplain can accommodate his need. Some chaplains do communion under both forms, but not all. Those who don't need to know of the situation in advance.

Have a great cruise!

Norm.

We were on the Summit last year. They will bring sliced bread each evening at dinner and I would order the next evenings meal. Bread was available in the dining room. There were desserts available in the form of custards, creme brulee, etc. but not baked goods. I never did see crackers available but did not request them. If your husband wants cookies or crackers then I would call the customer service dietary department and see if they could be made available or you could carry it with you. Pasta was available. If he desires cereal for breakfast then you would also need to bring that. Our corn flakes, rice krispies, etc all contain barley malt. Although gf beer has finally appeared on the shelves here in the last few months, it has not made it to Celebrity. We need to continue to request it. They do a good job of providing gf meals but some of the extras are not available - most of the time it does not matter.

Most days I chose to eat breakfast at the buffet or spa cafe. The maitre 'd is good with helping chose gf selections and will check as to the safety. I did need to clarify that soy sauce is not gf and corn gluten is permitted. In 50 days of cruising with Celebrity, I've only once had something with gluten and that was an accident on my part. I chose a salad with what I thought was rice and it was orzo. I will be on the Zenith next week with a very small selection of goodies from home to enjoy.

Archived