Male Formal Attire

ssgemini

Some help for a 'foreigner' please. Formal attire (whether it be a dark suit or tux) has taken a turn both in Australia and the US. Here in Australia (and on awards shows such as the Oscars in the US) the trend for formal attire has turned to 'younger' men wearing tuxes with open neck shirts - something that I know the 'girls' find quite handsome. In fact, a recent formal event of over 1000 people that i attended (with delegates from 7 countries) saw most wearing this new trend. I recently purchased an obsenely expensive black Versace tux along with an equally expensive black Versace shirt to match (designed to wear sans tie) and i want to take it on my next X cruise.

I realise that for more mature cruisers this may not be the done thing - but your thoughts on the 'younger' set stepping out? Can Brad Pitt really be wrong????

(and please .. no criticism! your thoughts are appreciated!!)

Wow, sounds fabulous to me!! Let's be real, you're wearing a tux and that's as formal as a man can get, right? <G> Gee, since my husband and I are renting him a tux for our cruise, I think maybe I'll mention the no-tie look to him and give him the option of leaving it in the cabin. Thanks for the suggestion!!

Sounds pretty yummy to me....

My husband always brings his tux and several shirts, I may suggest that he try to find a dark shirt designed to go tie-less..

I realise that for more mature cruisers this may not be the done thing - but your thoughts on the 'younger' set stepping out? Can Brad Pitt really be wrong????

(and please .. no criticism! your thoughts are appreciated!!)

It actually sounds very good to me. It is classy and elegant, what more could anyone want?

I had to post to this thread since Brad Pitt was mentioned. We have a whole (crazy) Brad Pitt theme going in the SLAMO virtual shopping thread.

Of course I'm only speaking for myself, but I'm not impressed with the everchanging trends and fads. Nor do I look to celebrities for guidance

in what's good taste and proper. Being different isn't necessarily good.

Good taste is never out of style.

Wow, sounds fabulous to me!! Let's be real, you're wearing a tux and that's as formal as a man can get, right? <G> Gee, since my husband and I are renting him a tux for our cruise, I think maybe I'll mention the no-tie look to him and give him the option of leaving it in the cabin. Thanks for the suggestion!---------------------------

Hilary, you might want to consider this. The tux's supplied by rental companies have shirts designed to be bottoned and worn with ties. To go tieless with one of those shirts might look a little strange.

I'm watching Keith Lockhart conduct the Boston Pops in Symphony Hall--a classier setting than any cruise ship--wearing a tuxedo with a black shirt, buttoned at the collar, and no tie. The audience looks quite happy to me. No one is pointing at his lack of tie and wagging a finger. If anyone objects to your attire, ssgemini, tell him/her to mind his/her own business.

Archived