10, 12, 14 year olds - Cat's Meow OK?

5 in OK

We were all set to head to the Cat's Meow when we arrive in Costa Maya in a couple of weeks for some great relaxation and quality family time - but heard at work today (during a "Can't wait to leave in a few days on our cruise" chat) that it may not be a good spot for teens/pre-teens. This conflicts with what I have read here - so slightly concerned.

Is the Cat's Meow okay for kids - is it frequented by families?

Thanks in advance for the help. :)

Gee -- it seems like when you are on the Costa Maya with a group of kids like that, it would be a great time to take advantage of an educational opportunity. Instead of sitting in a bar all day, why not take the tour to Chacchoben with David and Ivan. It will be such a great experience for the kids and give them a real appreciation of the history of the area. Then you can stop off in Majahual for an hour or so on the way back.

Have a GREAT cruise!

Excellent suggestion - and we have given that some thought, however, we have two excursions scheduled for our stop in Cozumel the day before and are going constantly from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. We just wanted to relax in Costa Maya and lay around on the beach.

Now, we're just trying to find a family beach appropriate for our family.

Any suggestions there would be great!

Cat's Meow will be fine. You can either sit near the water or the main bldg. We were just there and had a large basket of chips & salsa and two 24oz cokes for $4.00. You can not beat that. CM is a good place to relax and easy to walk down the main street without too much troubles.

We will be on the Splendour March 17th with 4 kids.......7, 13, 14, 16. We have planned on Mahajual(sp?). Our plan is to walk the beach til we find something that suits us, it doesn't look that big so it won't take long to figure it out.

Mike in Tulsa

We will be on the Splendour March 17th with 4 kids.......7, 13, 14, 16. We have planned on Mahajual(sp?). Our plan is to walk the beach til we find something that suits us, it doesn't look that big so it won't take long to figure it out.

Mike in Tulsa

Great idea Mike :)

From everything I have read Costa Maya is "easy" enough to just walk around and find what you want ...no real big need to prebook here unlike other more "complicated" ports (ie, like Belize, where you tender and everything is pretty far from port)

It is also important to remember that any Beach/bar/place can change from day to day....there could be a loud party group there at Cat Meow the day you are there...or there could be other families...

it depends on the time of year, the amount of ship's in port, and even just the individual quirks of the cruisers that happen to be there on any given day IMHO

At least with Costa Maya you can walk along and find a place that feels "comfortable" to you...most of the places get pretty good reviews so I think you can not go too wrong...if you are not enjoying the place just move and try another

Not to worry. If Cat's is not looking good that day just wander dow the street to another place. It was very busy at Cat's when my family (three kids 7.12,15)were there in Febuary. We ended up just walking to the end of the strip. Although there were many nice places all along the way my DW wanted to see the whole town. The whole town is only about a 1/4 of a mile long. So just go, look around and find a spot that suits your mood that day. Just lay back enjoy the day and feel sorry for the poor soles back home.

5 in OK,

If your kids are into snorkeling, there's not much to see in front of Cat's Meow, we were there last September and liked the place a lot and it's sure easy to get in the water. If you do get in, wear some shoes, dive boots, whatever as there is glass and other stuff in the water. One kid in a family of 4 cut his foot on something. The food was great, sitting on the beach free--we liked it all in all.

jimw - thanks so much for the response - especially the water shoes - we'll be sure to take those along - hadn't even thought of that? - one more thing to add to the packing list!:)

We'll try Cat's Meow and head on down the beach if we are unhappy. Sounds easy enough.

Thanks again!

Janet

Your kids aren't going to sit there with you the whole time anyway, they will probably be across the street in th water, so i think taking them would be fine.

If there are no seats at or infront of Cats Meow, just walk further, we like the area right infront of Myan Bar, there is shade and hammacks.

I suspect some people get upset because they have never been and assume it is like a real bar, it is not, more of an open air type thing with food & drink.

Cat,s Meow has the best food in the village at great prices(worlds greatest coconut shrimp), the kitchen is spotless and the water and ice are purified. Barb the owner is canadian and a real doll, she will point you in the right direction for some teen action (snorkeling ,shopping ect.).The best snorkeling is found off shore about 100 yds. out (rent a boat at the beach for the best results,$25).When I was there barb helped us rent a car, we drove to the ruins, Laguna Bacalar and back to Ma-ha-wall.

The cruise terminal is over priced, busy and to be avoided as much as possible, a 40oz. bottle of tuquila was $15 in Cozumel (best shopping on the trip) same bottle $45. Check out the amber jewelery sold in front of the Cat's Meow (supper deals).

What ever you decide to do you will be doing it in paradise. Have a good trip.

Your kids aren't going to sit there with you the whole time anyway, they will probably be across the street in th water, so i think taking them would be fine.

If there are no seats at or infront of Cats Meow, just walk further, we like the area right infront of Myan Bar, there is shade and hammacks.

I suspect some people get upset because they have never been and assume it is like a real bar, it is not, more of an open air type thing with food & drink.

The best place to enjoy the CM is across the street from the resturant/bar by the beach. The tables are right near the water, so you'll be able to watch your kids and enjoy the beach with them.

Archived