Diving- Labadee, Hati...Any suggestions?

yogiesq

Since Labadee is RCCL's private "island", you would be stuck using their ship's excursions. I check the excursions they offer there and they do not list any dives. They snorkeling is OK if there have been no recent storms.

Remember, it is Haiti, a little bit of the 3rd world right in our own back yard. There will probably be no independent operators waiting to sign you up. And if there were, I would NOT (for safety reasons) be wandering off the reservation. My sister has been to Haiti for Doctors Without Borders and they had to have armed guards 24/7. To be honest, I am very surprised RCCL still uses it as a stop. You are safe in the Labadee compound and you will see the fence and guards where the safe area ends.

Mike

We were there last November and there was no dives on shore. It is not really an Island but part of Hatai, well fortified with a hight wall and some guards. You are not allowed to leave the compound. It look to us like an island before hand as well, but those there said no.

I thought there was one dive off the ship, but could be wrong.

• 4 weeks later...

I asked the Dive Manager last year about dives in Labadee and they do not offer any. Due to overfishing, the reefs and fish population are badly damaged in the area surrounding RCCL's area. But if you ever get to go to Coco Cay (their island in the Bahama's) they offer a very nice dive excursion.

Happy Diving,

DL

Archived