***LIVE*** FROM THE GOLDEN PRINCESS with Arlene & Tony

arlenemilt

Tony, can you please find out the schedule for new bedding in all cabins on the Tahitian? There was a post on another thread that all cabins are getting upgraded. We have a BA in June.

I will check it out for you when I am onboard the Tahitian.

Tony

:cool: :eek: :cool:

Did the Bluff Cove penguin tour in the Falklands - well worth standing in the cold and begging for a spot on the last tour to go (our 'official' one was cancelled) - very exciting four wheeling over hill and dale through the mud and muck off to the cove. Lots of penguins (and lots of penguine poo, as Arlene noted - we were the ones who didn't make dinner...)

Hi, Donna. I've been following right along! Glad you and everyone are having such a great cruise with wonderful weather.

What happened with the Bluff Cove tour being cancelled? That was a Princess tour, wasn't it? I wondered if you were the ones who didn't make dinner.:eek: Guess that means next year I need to bring some throw-away shoes for the penguin tours!!

Keep on having fun, and thanks for sharing it with us all!

Becky

What a treat to have several people posting with a slightly different perspective and personality. Thanks to all. Note to Easycruise: Just got back from skiing in Tahoe (Sierra cement) and stayed with relatives in Davis. Temperature in the 80' in Sacramento, trees in bloom...

Your trip is definitely on my wish list.

Thank you for keeping me informed, a friend of mine e-mailed me and said it really cooled off to 79 degrees one day.:eek: I left to get away from the cold winter we had, go figure.:cool: But on the other hand I wouldn't trade places, having a great time. Tommorrow is the Antarctica tour.:eek:

easykruz

Sounds like everyone had a great day in Ushuaia.

EasyKruz... are the wild horses still roaming Terra del Fuego National Park? They were an awesome sight.

Tony... hope that someday will meet you on the high seas.

Arlene and Milt... nice to hear Milt is feeling better! It's rotten not feeling well when you're away.

Many thanks to all of you who are posting this cruise. Wishing all of you good weather tomorrow and the remainder of the cruise.

Sandy

Sandy,

Yes I did see horses roaming around but I didn't relize that they were:eek: WILD:eek: .

Easykruz,

WILD Bill

Hi, Donna. I've been following right along! Glad you and everyone are having such a great cruise with wonderful weather.

What happened with the Bluff Cove tour being cancelled? That was a Princess tour, wasn't it? I wondered if you were the ones who didn't make dinner.:eek: Guess that means next year I need to bring some throw-away shoes for the penguin tours!!

Keep on having fun, and thanks for sharing it with us all!

Becky

Becky,

I HIGHLY recommend the Bluff Cove Tour. We loved it. The Land Rover ride was like being on a roller coaster. Our driver was excellent.

I wore my closed top crocs - easy to wash when we got back.

You can get so close to the penguins here. It's amazing.

Soon I hope to get my photos posted to webshots. I have about 1200 to sort thru :eek: & pic the best ones to post.

We also did the Penguin Colony Tour in Punta Arenas. This was good, but, not near as wonderful as Bluff Cove. Much cleaner though. Here I got to wear my Uggs. Was quite cold for us this day too.

This itineary is wonderful - you will love it.

Cathy

Becky,

I HIGHLY recommend the Bluff Cove Tour. We loved it. The Land Rover ride was like being on a roller coaster. Our driver was excellent.

I wore my closed top crocs - easy to wash when we got back.

You can get so close to the penguins here. It's amazing.

Soon I hope to get my photos posted to webshots. I have about 1200 to sort thru :eek: & pic the best ones to post.

We also did the Penguin Colony Tour in Punta Arenas. This was good, but, not near as wonderful as Bluff Cove. Much cleaner though. Here I got to wear my Uggs. Was quite cold for us this day too.

This itineary is wonderful - you will love it.

Cathy

Thank you, Cathy. We are certainly looking forward to it. Funny you mention Crocs; I had actually thought of them, so they'll definitely be going along now! We do hope we're not cruising too late next year for penguins. Our cruise doesn't begin until March 30th--the last one of the year.

Will be looking forward to seeing your pictures. Thanks again!

Becky

Becky,

For sure bring your crocs. I brought 3 pairs! My closed toe, my disney beach pair & my flipflops(athens).

Hopefully the penguins will wait for you. They are just amazing.

At Bluff Cove there were 4 King Penguins standing together. One still had the chick under her pouch. I tried to zoom in the best I could to get the photos.

Another nice thing at Bluff Cove is that they have naturalists standing by to answer questions & share information.

As soon as I get my photos done I'll let you know here.

Cathy

Maybe I need to read more carefully, but I'm not understanding why they would cancel your excursions and replace them with others? Do you actually get to go onto Antarctica or just around it? Arlene, how are you doing? Milt better? Looking forward to seeing you in SF!

Tony, sounds like you are having lots of cruise time this year, too. When does Javier re-join you? Pacific Princess and Celebrity Xpedition spoiled me. Really like those small ships better than the big ones :-) Maybe looking at Oceania next. Have you been on that line yet?

Suzie

Well the day has finally arrived, now we will see if we make it to Antarctica or not. It is very quite all over the ship. Everyone still in bed I guess. Will update everyone after the tour.

Easykruz

Bill:)

P.S. Suzie, yes we actually land on the seventh continent. If they cancel, for any reason, they substitute another tour (if you want to go, if not they charge $200/person).:eek:

Arlene, WAY of topic, but a question, if possible: Did you say Milt suffers from gout? Just wondering what sets his off. My mother-in-law gets laid low by gout, wondering what does and what he does to help cure it.

Sounds like your trip has been awesome! I love hearing all about it. Thanks for posting! Gabrielle:rolleyes:

Milt's a doctor and knows better, but sometimes the uric acid gets too high all by itself. I don't know what your MIL eats, but she needs to not OD on shellfish, beans, peanuts, asparagus and alcohol; all in moderation, but not at the same time. A buildup of high purine foods triggers a gouty attack. Beer is a killer.

Arlene (the almost doctor :D without a license)

from sunny Punta Arenas where the temp is currently in the mid 40's; calm water and no wind. Please, please, powers that be, keep it this way. We've heard that this area gets so windy you sometimes need to "hang on" just to stay upright. The four of us (Milt, Fran, Len and myself) will tender at approx. 9:15 and check out the town. Perhaps we'll pick up a tour at the pier; playing it by ear. We are so happy to see clear weather and hopefully Bill and Vicky (easykruz) will be able to complete their Antarctica excursion.

BTW, Bill says he can make towel elephants, but I didn't find one in my cabin last night. :mad: You owe me, Bill! :)

We had another special dish prepared for our table last night; yummy pasta dish. Angel hair pasta folded into a wrap of grilled eggplant and topped off with marinara and layer of thick cheese. Also special dessert; don't know what because I don't eat that stuff. Of the ten of us, 8 are staying on all the way to San Fran and we definitely intend to keep our wonderful wait staff all the way.

We did not attend any show; don't care for jugglers or harpists. I did buy myself a small piece of jewelry in one of the shops. After all, Milt had a successful shopping day, so I took my turn too. :D

Just jabbering away now so need to end it. Nothing to report until post port. Bye for now.

Arlene

Maybe I need to read more carefully, but I'm not understanding why they would cancel your excursions and replace them with others? Do you actually get to go onto Antarctica or just around it? Arlene, how are you doing? Milt better? Looking forward to seeing you in SF!

Tony, sounds like you are having lots of cruise time this year, too. When does Javier re-join you? Pacific Princess and Celebrity Xpedition spoiled me. Really like those small ships better than the big ones :-) Maybe looking at Oceania next. Have you been on that line yet?

Suzie

Suzie...I have not done Oceania yet either and Javier will be cruising with me later this year in Asia on the Sapphire.

Tony

Good Morning from Punta Arenas, Chile. We woke up this morning to the dropping of the anchor which seems to be beside our window on Deck 5.

Just had breakfast with some quick poached eggs and espresso and OJ and heading out this morning for a full day in Punta Arenas.

going to go to Senor Tenor for lunch and have some grilled baaahhhh and hopefully enjoy our current sunshine as it is suppose to cloud over later this afternoon.

The Office remains closed until March 17th and reopens at 8:00pm taht night...thank god!

More to follow later today from Punta Arenas, Chile onboard the Golden Princess.

Tony

really great live from the golden!!! so many people adding their views really enhances the vicarious sailing and the pictures are adding as well. thanks to all of you who have taken the time from your busy days --- and not so busy days on the ship. hope and pray the tour to anarctica is a go--that would be a wonderful experience.

as i read this post, my mind wanders and i can only imagine how it was when the first explorers went around the horn---what it was like in those small sailing ships and what were they all thinking? must have been pretty awesome.

again thank-you --- really makes it real. clare:) :)

really great live from the golden!!! so many people adding their views really enhances the vicarious sailing and the pictures are adding as well. thanks to all of you who have taken the time from your busy days --- and not so busy days on the ship. hope and pray the tour to anarctica is a go--that would be a wonderful experience.

as i read this post, my mind wanders and i can only imagine how it was when the first explorers went around the horn---what it was like in those small sailing ships and what were they all thinking? must have been pretty awesome.

again thank-you --- really makes it real. clare:) :)

Agreed. I think this particular "Live From" is fantastic. I really love all the different views and input of day-to-day life on the ship. The information is definitely interesting (I can't wait to take this cruise someday). I am also anxiously awaiting word from Bill (easycruz) to see if he made it to the seventh continent -- what a once-in-a-lifetime experience!

Thanks for taking the time to share with us.

really great live from the golden!!! so many people adding their views really enhances the vicarious sailing and the pictures are adding as well. . . . clare:) :)

I totally agree. I'm wondering how many people this week are looking into a South America cruise as a result of this thread! It's been thoroughly enjoyable traveling along.

Becky

I totally agree. I'm wondering how many people this week are looking into a South America cruise as a result of this thread! It's been thoroughly enjoyable traveling along.

Becky

Becky, if you're thinking about it, then GO!! I was on the Antarctica trip this past January and it was a marvelous trip. It's well worth the time and expense. I'm sure I'll do it again someday.

Becky, if you're thinking about it, then GO!!

We are booked for next year (March 30th) on the Star! Just wish it weren't so far away. All the enthusiasm here for South America certainly sweetens the anticipation! Can't wait . . but I guess I'll have to. Thanks!!

Becky

Looks like they have had Great weather All day!:)

It's now almost 5PM, we should be hearing from someone soon, they Sail at 7PM. Hope the Antarctica Landing went off, OK?:eek:

Can't wait to hear the Full Reports!;) :eek:

Bill

golden_bridge.jpg

Ann true the Full Suites have the matress toppers and pillow selection which makes a huge difference as I can vouch that on teh last four sailings on the Golden Princess I was upgraded to a Full Suite and also a Family Suite. All I can say is enjoy as I am "slumming it" on Plaza Deck this cruise!Tony:cool: :eek: :cool:

Tony... are you telling me that they have you change cabin for each leg of the cruise??? I would think with the amount of time you spend in the ship that they would accomodate you to stay in one place... Or maybe you like 'experiencing' different location... even on Plaza Deck...!!

Great to read you all... it's like we were still there!

MC

We are booked for next year (March 30th) on the Star! Just wish it weren't so far away. All the enthusiasm here for South America certainly sweetens the anticipation! Can't wait . . but I guess I'll have to. Thanks!!

Becky

Well then, you're all set! One thing I would advise is to keep an eye on the Princess Cruise Personalizer after final payment is made. When you are allowed to book your shore excursions, do so. They sell out fast and if you wait until you're onboard, you'll probably be disappointed. I esearched the excursions from the past year's cruise and had a good idea what I wanted before my cruise options were offered. It made it very easy to choose my bookings when I finally could.

Archived