Dawn Review, 2/16, long

Tahoestarr

We started our trip on 2/15 driving from Carson City, Nevada to San Francisco. We booked a room at the Hyatt Fisherman's Wharf, and had a great view of the Cable Car Round table. We had dinner at the Rainforest Cafe, and took a ride on the cable car, since it was so close by, and it was a beautiful night. The Hotel provided a very nice room, with great views and comfortable bedding (and expensive parking @ $39 a night)! We couldn't see the bay, but when the Dawn docked on the 16th, we could see the top of her from our window, and the Princess logo on the top of the ship was proudly welcoming us. Very exciting!

We got up early, and had a lovely room service breakfast (what the heck, you're on vacation), packed up, and headed for the pier at 10:30. When we drove by the terminal, it was quite chaotic, so we decided to take a drive and come back at 11:00. We pulled right up to the curb, the porter was very helpful, and checked our luggage (way over packed), and I left DH on curb with carry on luggage. I parked the car across the street at the City Park Garage. We had a reservation, but they didn't even ask our name...better safe than sorry, so I would still call for a reservation.

Walked into the terminal, where there was NO LINE, checked in and was shown to the priority check-in lounge. This was our first Princess cruise, and I was surprised seeing we were only in a mini suite. I didn't think were entitled to this service...but don't look a gift horse in the mouth. We waited for about 5 minutes, and began boarding. We were in our beautiful mini suite by 11:30 AM. Couldn't have been easier.

When we boarded, we were shuffled into the closest elevator, so we really didn't see any of the ship prior to finding our cabin. Took the long walk to our AB mini suite C 747 aft, where we were greeting by Jose our room attendant. He welcomed us, and opened the door to our beautiful Cabin!!! WOW, the cabin is just beautiful. It's the largest of the mini suites, and has the largest balcony. It's a very quiet location, no foot traffic, except for our very cordial neighbors from North Carolina. The new bed and bedding was very comfortable, and glad I didn't haul my own pillow (which I usually do), because their pillows were wonderful. Of course I don't have trouble with allergies to the feathers, and neither does DH. We sat on the balcony and enjoyed the view of the bay, before exploring the rest of the ship. This balcony is perfect. Mostly covered, however, provides good sun as well. Also very private unless you stand at the rail, then you can see others above you....or should I say, they can see you. But step back a foot or so, and no problems. Also, no wind while at sea. Great place for a room service meal. This cabin also has great storage! Walk-in closet, plenty of drawers...we didn't even use it all. Glad we brought a power squid for all of our rechargeable...only 3 outlets in the entire cabin. One hidden by the table in the entry way, which we didn't find until half way through the trip. One at the vanity, and one at the wet bar. The Bathroom (s)....OMG...was wonderful. Two separate compartments, one with the commode and sink, and the other with sink, two medicine cabinets (so much storage), and jetted tub and shower. It was all decked out with beautiful marble. Let me also say that Jose, proved to be the best room attendant we have ever had. Always a smile, and just a wonderful man.

After we took in our cabin, we made our way to the Horizon Court for lunch. The place was packed, so maybe we should have gone for lunch first, and then enjoyed our suite. We finally made our way into the buffet (which doesn't have the best layout), and found two seats at the bar counter. The food was pretty good for a buffet, and I must say they were very good with the hand sanitizer. Thank goodness. We took a quick walk through of the ship, not long enough to really take things in, but she sure is beautiful. We made our way back to our suite to find two glasses of Champagne, which we enjoyed as we sailed away. We had the best seat in the house on our very own balcony. Luggage arrived shortly there after, and as soon as we cleared the Golden Gate Bridge, and out of the bay, we unpacked, and checked out more of the ship. Had a quick dinner at the Horizon Court, and turned in pretty early. We were both pretty whipped.

First sea day, we had arranged to meet with fellow Cruise Critic members, and have lunch. Meet in the Wheelhouse Bar at trivia time...oops. However, we managed to find each other, and had a nice lunch in the Venetian Dining room. What a great group of people! I must say I've met some long term friends from this group, and really enjoyed everyone's company. On an 11 night cruise, you really start to feel like family. This was our Anniversary as well, and when we returned to our cabin, Jose had decorated our door....very fun. Also formal night, so we decided to dine at Sterling's, so we could enjoy each others company, and share a wonderful meal. I must say that I wasn't that impressed with Sterling's. I've had a better steak at the Outback Steakhouse. However, the service was impeccable. They couldn't do enough for you. I'm sure if I had told them I thought the meat was a bit tough, they would have done back flips to make it good. All in all, it was a good experience. We made our way to the Internet cafe to check on the kids. Went to the show...."Piano Man", and enjoyed it very much.

Second sea day, the seas are nice and clam, and the weather begins to get warmer. Wayne made his way to the Golf Simulator, and took a few lessons in preparation for our upcoming golf game in Mazatlan. Jake, the golf pro, was a great guy, and really helped his game. Thank goodness...no more slicing....LOL. Ship board act ivies were plentiful, and very fun. Neil the CD and his staff did a great job at keeping us entertained. Loved the morning Wakey Wakey show....made up for missing Regis and Kelly...LOL. They scheduled a Cruise Critic get together, so we all met again, and had lunch after drinks. Plenty of trivia games, pool games, bridge, art auctions, bingo, and Wayne even entered the Lovely Legs contest. He was robbed! If you couldn't find something to do that you liked on this ship, then you just can't be pleased. Great movies (wish they had MUTS), classes, lectures etc. We had dinner in the Florentine Dining room (anytime dining), and had a wonderful meal. I will say that NCL seems to have the anytime thing (freestyle) down much better than Princess. Although the wait staff was very nice, the service was a bit slow...just off. Not a huge problem, I mean who cares, you're on vacation. We had all the time in the world! You really do need a reservation if you don't want to wait...or go early (5:30) or late (9:30).

Third sea day (yes 3rd, we had to change the itinerary), more golf lessons, and trivia. Now I'm accustom to winning an occasional trivia game, but Marsha...you guys just killed us! The seas are very calm now, and the weather very warm...70ish. Beautiful! The most incredible sunset I've every seen. Went to the movie in the Princess theater and saw RV....very funny. Watched Jim and Lori dance a bit in the Wheelhouse Bar...You guys were great!

General entertainment was enjoyable. The musicians and bands were all fun, and added a nice touch. Loved the live music in the Horizon Court each evening. Dan Horn, Ventriloquist, was very funny....didn't see many of the other big shows, but heard good things. If you didn't get to the Vista lounge early you just didn't get a seat! That goes for the Princess Theater too. Didn't run into people saving seats...so that was a good thing. DH is in showbiz, so didn't really feel the need to see production shows. Watching the Wake in the evening from the balcony was entertainment enough for us.

Ports:

Acapulco....finally! Day four, mid day. The temperature was about 86 degrees. Slight humidity...not bad at all. Beautiful sunny skies. Oops, there's the poor Regal Princess...Dead. We felt very bad for those folks. Worked our way to those private hidden decks on the bow to watch us pull into port. We took the Princess excursion to the Cliff Divers, and city highlights tour. It was very enjoyable, and I must say that the tour busses are very nice. However, I wish I had done the tour with Rosie with my fellow CCer's. Went back to the ship, and spent the rest of the evening watching the sun go down on Aca. Enjoyed the sail away party on deck and the midnight Mexican Buffet. Danced the night away!

Zhuatenejo/Ixtapa.....over slept after dancing the night away, and missed our countryside tour. Princess was very nice and refunded our money, and we chose the Ixtapa resort tour. Again, great busses, and we took a tour of Zhua, and then off to Ixtapa. I must say this was my favorite port, and I'm disappointed that Princess will not be going there next season. Visited one of Ixtapa's big hotels, and had a drink by the pool....very nice. Then to the beach, where we saw iguana's and Crocs. Very cool. Walked around the town of Zhua, and did some shopping. Just a beautiful place. Returned to the ship, and had dinner at La Scala. This is a great treasure on the Dawn. The food is wonderful! Great location for people watching. After dinner, we found a private hot tub at the lotus pool area. Had the place to ourselves. We used the tub up on deck, and had a great view as we sailed on to PV. The stars were amazing, and really capped off the evening.

PV...Another beautiful day (was there anything but?) We took the Princess Jeep Safari tour which was just a blast! You drive in 4 person jeeps, and take turns driving. We had the pleasure of sharing a jeep with two Princess employees....Kuus (Internet manager), and Nap (photographer). We drove for several hours to small villages back in the mountains, went through farms, and it was just a side of PV you don't often see. We had a chance to get out and talk with the people in some of these villages. Took photos of the children with our digital camera, and they were just thrilled. Got to drive through a river....OOPS...my feet are getting wet...and ended up the tour on the beach where we spent over an hour, having an included lunch and beverage. It's was a great time, and met some wonderful people. Must say we were very dusty when we returned to the ship, so spent some time cleaning up, and ate in the HC.

Mazatlan...Golf day...let's see how those lessons paid off! Now DH and I aren't serious golfers, we never even keep score! Here we are with a Caddy!!!!! OMG...what do you do with a Caddy???? It was a hoot! By the end of the game, we were old pros! Gotta love a caddy that cheats for you! LOL. Federico, I'll never forget you! By the way, by the end of his game, DH was able to successfully apply several lessons learned by Jake! Thank you Jake! Took a cab to Senor Frogs for lunch and a margarita! Located right across from the beach, the views were great, and a very fun place. Took a cab back to the dock....now these cabs in Mazatlan are a hoot! There are like 4 person open air golf carts. This particular cab had a horn that sounded like a police siren! Is that legal? Only in Mexico! Went back to the ship by way of the Farmacia! Now we were looking for sleeping pills....seems that my snoring was on the rise, and keeping DH awake...go figure. Well, they didn't have sleeping pills, but were trying to push the Valium and Xanax....oh my. This is still amazing to me that you can buy this over the counter! Oh well...no sleeping pills for hubby. Had dinner in the Florentine, and the service wasn't any better...but the food was great! Went to the bow to the wadding pool, and soaked our feet...as we watch the night stars.

Cabo...Woke up early so I could watch us pull into port, and look for whales! Oh boy, it was like someone hit the whale button, and there they were...everywhere! Not to mention some amazing jumping fish and dolphins. DH was still asleep, and I'm on the balcony screaming....WHALES! We had of course booked the zodiac whale watch excursion through Princess. A little wild for this overweight 49 year old woman with bad knees....but I wouldn't have changed it for anything! We found a mama, daddy and 2 week old calf who were really putting on a show! Breaching, flapping over and over. I was almost in tears! It was truly a religious experience. Being that close to them....you could hear them singing! You could feel the spray! It was just indescribable. After that, we took the long walk around the Marina and found Cabo Wabo. Had to make a visit there, since DH has worked with Sammy Hagar in that past doing sound for some of his shows. The food was so so, and the Waborito nearly did me in....LOL. Did a little shopping, and made our way back to the ship. Sat on our balcony for sail away to continue to watch for Whales and dolphins....they did not disappoint!

Sea day...Time to head home. Good news was it was Academy Awards night (also formal night), and they had planned a great Academy awards party...red carpet...Oscar ice carving...giveaways...drink of the day was oscaritas..lol....this was a big deal....and I had been looking forward to it since I first realized it would be AA night on our cruise! Got dressed in my formal wear, walked the red carpet...took my seat in the front row....announcement...."we are sorry, but we can't get the satellite feed unscrambled"! What???? Oh no! They were as disappointed as we were. The CD and his staff worked so hard on this event, and no Academy Awards! DH bought me a beautiful Sapphire necklace that made up for the loss of the Awards....hehehehe Had a late dinner in the Florentine, and again....service! Food great! The Love Boat Dream!!!! Yummy!

Last sea day....Now the seas are getting rough....really rough! 20 foot swells! It was difficult to pack in that aft suite bouncing up and down! Now we are starting to feel a bit ill! YUCK! Took all day to pack....having to lay down every 2 or 3 minutes. Neil CD planned another CCer's meeting, this time he showed up with Champagne....unfortunately, I couldn't make it, due to yuckiness! It really got to DH, and he was down for the count. I finally made my way down to the Internet cafe to check email, and ran into Lenty and Marsha (fellow ccer's and newly found neighbors), and found that it was not nearly as bad in that area of the ship...duh! So I went up and convinced DH that he should come down and sit with me in the library. We spent and hour or show chilling out there (very comfortable place), and finally felt like eating something. So being it was the only food mid ship, we ate again at La Scala. Yummy! Don't forget to eat at La Scala! Then off to bed...rockin' and rollin' all night! Actually nice sleeping conditions.

About 6 am I noticed it was still, and I looked up to see that we were in the Bay...and there was that beautiful Golden Gate Bridge! We had just passed under it!

Disembarkation....Now I had heard nightmares about this process. Long winding line waiting for customs...just awful. After we got up, we turned on the princess channel, and they kept announcing that there was no waiting in the vista lounge. Great, by the time I get there, it will be packed! Not the case! We walked right in, and were out of there in about 3 minutes...seriously! It was very easy. Had a tearful goodbye with our Jeep mates Cuus and Nap...we will miss you both very much! Nap gave us a lovely goodbye gift..thank you so much Nap! Went back to our cabin, grabbed our carry ons, and had another tearful goodbye with Jose....I'll miss you Jose, and C747! Went to the HC and had breakfast, and sat on the pool deck until our color was called. Walked right off the ship, and were on our way! Easy! I guess we got lucky!

I must say this was a fabulous cruise! Our first on Princess....but not our last....purchased future cruise credit! We met great new friends, and actually was able to turn off life for the first time in a long time. The Dawn Princess is a lovely ship....not just for her age, but I'd put her against any of the newer ships. Public spaces are beautiful....great crew...never ran into anyone with an attitude (crew that is). Overall one of our favorite vacations! Thank you Dawn Princess! We'll be back!

Great Review, thank you so much for taking the time to put it all down. I enjoyed it thoroughly.

Sailing in another month on the Dawn and looking forward to returning as we love this class of ship.

So glad you enjoyed your cruise! You'll love those future cruise credits, they assure you that another cruise will be on your horizon.

Thanks Again!

Great Review, thank you so much for taking the time to put it all down. I enjoyed it thoroughly.

Sailing in another month on the Dawn and looking forward to returning as we love this class of ship.

So glad you enjoyed your cruise! You'll love those future cruise credits, they assure you that another cruise will be on your horizon.

Thanks Again!

Thank you Toto, you were the one that got me hooked with your pictures of the sun class mini suites...I recall you were very nice with this newbie!:D

Thank you for your review of the Dawn. She sure sounds like a wonderful ship. Did you take any medicine for your seasickness or did you just change location for awhile?

We will be sailing on her in June and just can't read enough about her. We get more excited each day as we get closer to our cruise.:D

Thank you for a wonderful review....we will be on her in Oct. and Nov. My question is: did you bring your own clubs for your golf excursion. We would loveto golf, but would not want to haul our clubs......so glad you had a wonderful cruise...

Thank you for a wonderful review....we will be on her in Oct. and Nov. My question is: did you bring your own clubs for your golf excursion. We would loveto golf, but would not want to haul our clubs......so glad you had a wonderful cruise...

No, we rented the clubs...don't remember the price off the top of my head, but we didn't take anything...even ended up buying a new glove...take your glove and shoes if you can. But they will rent them. Some folks did carry their clubs...but goodness knows we had enough to carry! There were hardcore golfers on our cruise, and golfed in every port.

I was glad I rented clubs, cause I found a #1 wood that I really liked...and am going to buy it....my caddy called it Perro grande:eek: ...LOL....whatever, it worked for me!

No, we rented the clubs...don't remember the price off the top of my head, but we didn't take anything...even ended up buying a new glove...take your glove and shoes if you can. But they will rent them. Some folks did carry their clubs...but goodness knows we had enough to carry! There were hardcore golfers on our cruise, and golfed in every port.

I was glad I rented clubs, cause I found a #1 wood that I really liked...and am going to buy it....my caddy called it Perro grande:eek: ...LOL....whatever, it worked for me!

Thanks for the info...we are pretty into golf, but as I said, don't want to haul our clubs for one round....did you think you had good quality???

Wonderful review Tahoestarr! Found all the information very helpful and we leave on the Dawn Princess this coming Saturday. Just one question, did they give a reason why you missed Mazatlan? Just wondering. I am really looking forward to doing that Port and would hate to miss it but glad to hear you made the best of it. Thanks!

Wonderful review Tahoestarr! Found all the information very helpful and we leave on the Dawn Princess this coming Saturday. Just one question, did they give a reason why you missed Mazatlan? Just wondering. I am really looking forward to doing that Port and would hate to miss it but glad to hear you made the best of it. Thanks!

No, we didn't miss Mazatlan. We went golfing at El Cid. It's was a great day. You'll have a wonderful visit!

Thanks, TahoeStarr,

I really enjoyed your review of the Dawn. I especially appreciated the description of the things that you did during the day............and about the different restaurants.

Happy laundry!!! :)

Let me tell ya, I just finished the laundry....:eek: ...What a mess!

Leah-I have one question for you and I think I probably already know the answer, but can still hope. :)

Were there any nights that Sterlings moved outside for dining under the stars on your sailing?

Reason I ask is that last cruise on the Dawn it was always outside, but I had heard they have moved it back into the Horizon Court now. It has been a few years since I sailed on the Dawn.

Nope, they were inside the HC every night! Too bad, because we had some beautiful evenings! The perfect night to move it out on that forward deck...just outside of the HC, would have been in ACA, since we were in port until Midnight! Wow, that would have been a treat....Temps in the 80's... under the beautiful stars!

Thanks Leah. I figured they hadn't moved it back outside as they did on the Sun Princess. I love the way the Sea Princess moves it outside for two nights during the cruise, then it goes back inside.

We always book both nights for the 'under the stars' dining on the Sea. Usually the most romantic and best meals onboard.

Oh well, guess it is dining on the balcony or inside for us next trip. Again, thanks for the info!

Wow, thanks for the wonderful reveiw, made me feel like I was there enjoying it along with you and now I wish I was!!!:D

Sounds like you had fun and yes we loooovveee those FCC:) :p

We will be cruising on the Dawn next year and onboard the SUN for our first sun class ship later this year so lapping up as much as I can about these ships.

Thanks Leah. I figured they hadn't moved it back outside as they did on the Sun Princess. I love the way the Sea Princess moves it outside for two nights during the cruise, then it goes back inside.

We always book both nights for the 'under the stars' dining on the Sea. Usually the most romantic and best meals onboard.

Oh well, guess it is dining on the balcony or inside for us next trip. Again, thanks for the info!

Hope they have it outside on the SUN in September as that would be really wonderful - maybe I should pack a little tablecloth and flower vase and make our own DUTS (dinner under the stars) experience:D

Julia...

excellent idea...

my dh and I take one EVERYWHERE in the world we travel...it even makes a picnic in a hotel room memorable...

it's always worked out great...except when I forgot to pack the cheese knife into my checked suitecase when I was flying out of Paris....

security was none to pleased with that!

Hope they have it outside on the SUN in September as that would be really wonderful - maybe I should pack a little tablecloth and flower vase and make our own DUTS (dinner under the stars) experience:D

The last two times we have sailed on the Sun Princess, Sterlings was inside only. :(

I was just hoping since the Sea Princess brings it under the stars for a couple of nights on those saiings, that the other Sun Class ships would also bring it back. It looks and sounds like it is only still available on the Sea Princess, unfortunately.

Sorry, I think the wording of my post about the Sun came out wrong. I did not mean to sound like the Sun still offers this but just the opposite, that they only offer it inside in the Horizon Court.

Archived