First cruise...first post

MSBfan

Hello fellow cruisers...

Just recently booked first cruise for wife, myself, and daughter(33 m/o @ sail date). I found this site through Google, and have been reading SO much about different tips, ideas, and thoughts that I have been neglecting to answer alot of my emails!!:eek: This site is great!

I have been trying to find answers to questions I have by searching through the previous posts, as opposed to just asking a question that has already been answered, and see that a lot of people have had similar thoughts/issues.

Just wanted to extend a thank-you to all who have taken the time to post pictures, ideas, and their own experiences, both good and bad...it has greatly helped with my planning, and to ease some concerns.

Hello fellow cruisers...

Just recently booked first cruise for wife, myself, and daughter(33 m/o @ sail date). I found this site through Google, and have been reading SO much about different tips, ideas, and thoughts that I have been neglecting to answer alot of my emails!!:eek: This site is great!

I have been trying to find answers to questions I have by searching through the previous posts, as opposed to just asking a question that has already been answered, and see that a lot of people have had similar thoughts/issues.

Just wanted to extend a thank-you to all who have taken the time to post pictures, ideas, and their own experiences, both good and bad...it has greatly helped with my planning, and to ease some concerns.

Welcome to CC!! If you have any questions, do not hesitate to ask. Many, many will be most helpful and try to give our best advice. You are quite welcome for the thanks and appreciation!!

Great to have you on board! just a warning....cruising can become addicting.

Have a great time. Also be sure and go to the port section to get an idea of what is available at each port.

Welcome aboard. Tell what Cruise line and what ship you're going on and more info will flow freely to you. Just one drawback to cruising, you will become addicted to it. Well it's not that bad of an addiction really, we all have it on here and just can't wait til our next cruises.

Ahoy and welcome on board! This will be an invaluable tool for you to plan your excursions, hotels, clothes, you name it, you'll find it here. Do hesitate to ask questions, even if you think they are silly or dumb. We were all first-timers at one point.

Make sure you check to see if you have a Roll Call and join that as well. It's a great way to make connections before the cruise.

Wilkomme, Bievenu, Welcome!

Charlie

MSB,

Ask us anything, come on, we love to give answers even if it's the 100th time we've received the question and gave the same answer. You'll love it here. I have questions for you -- which cruise line and when do you sail?

Is your child a boy or girl? Are you flying to the port or driving to it? We can give you all kinds of advice. My first advice-- wear comfortable shoes, you will do A LOT of walking just going from the port building onto the ship and to your cabin. Secondly--whatever luggage you bring, including carry on, make sure it's on wheels. Ok, now you ask us questions...................

We are on a Carnival cruise but there is a bit of conflicting information about taking wine/spirits on board the ship. Is it allowed or? The brochures say wine can be taken aboard and then a corking fee can be charged at dinner which is great because we only like organic wines and not many ships offer them. I have also read where alcohol of all sorts is taken and held until after the cruise. Does anyone have any information or advice.

Just curious...

MSB,

Ask us anything, come on, we love to give answers even if it's the 100th time we've received the question and gave the same answer. You'll love it here. I have questions for you -- which cruise line and when do you sail?

Is your child a boy or girl? Are you flying to the port or driving to it? We can give you all kinds of advice. My first advice-- wear comfortable shoes, you will do A LOT of walking just going from the port building onto the ship and to your cabin. Secondly--whatever luggage you bring, including carry on, make sure it's on wheels. Ok, now you ask us questions...................

Will be on the Imagination in May...DRIVING to Miami(Wifes not too keen on flying these days)from Akron...but going to break the drive up over 2 days each way to visit friends along the way.

Wanted to do some family oriented shore excursions my daughter may enjoy, or at least come along for the ride with us, so in Grand Cayman doing the Turtle Farm, Hell, and Stingray Sandbar experience, and in Ocho Rios the Bamboo Beach Club together then once they are back on board, I am going to try the Dunn's River Falls hike. Considered doing it while they stayed at the Beach Club, but wasn't sure how wise that was from a "safety" standpoint...any advice??

Hi all,

I hope that you don't mind that I posted under you.

I am looking forward to my first cruise with my husband, brother and sister in law and wonderful 9 year old nephew this July 29th on the carnival Valor Eastern Caribbean for 7 wonderful days. We are all excited about the cruise and I have found a wealth of knowledge on the boards for us to share. Thank you to all the members that have so many cruises under your belt to help us out.

Thanks

Tammy

Wanted to do some family oriented shore excursions my daughter may enjoy, or at least come along for the ride with us, so in Grand Cayman doing the Turtle Farm, Hell, and Stingray Sandbar experience, and in Ocho Rios the Bamboo Beach Club together then once they are back on board, I am going to try the Dunn's River Falls hike. Considered doing it while they stayed at the Beach Club, but wasn't sure how wise that was from a "safety" standpoint...any advice??

Hey, MSBfan--welcome to Cruise Critic!

We always do family excursions--everyone gets to help with the planning, which makes it even more enjoyable when we go.

We did the stingrays, turtle farm, and Hell on our last cruise and had a great time. You'll be able to hold DD as the stingrays swim around you, and she can even kiss a stingray (for luck!) if she'd like.

Hell is nothing to write home about (though I did send postcards from Hell to a few friends back home :D), but it's fun to say you've been there. My DD (11 years old) just had to have a shirt that said, "I'd rather go to Hell than school!" Of course, she's not allowed to wear it to school, but she thought it was great.

We totally enjoyed the turtle farm. It'll be a great place to take your DD. You'll see giant sea turtles and you can catch one of the young ones (about a year old) and hold it. If you'd like to see some photos (a couple are of my DDs and me holding the turtles) visit my album at http://www.photobucket.com and search for jaynemay. There are also photos of Hell and Dunns River Falls in the album.

When we were in Ocho Rios the girls climbed Dunns River Falls and had a great time. I walked part way down the path the runs along side the Falls and waited for them at the viewing platform so I could watch them climb part way. There's a shopping area as you're exiting. Many people have said that the vendors are really aggressive there (that wasn't our experience though)--if that concerns you, just go back out the way you came in and you won't have to go through the shopping area.

You can find specific information--and tons of it!--on the ports of call boards for the specific ports you're visiting (on the main page for the message boards, scroll down to Ports of Call and click on the name of the port you're interested in).

Have a great cruise!!

Jayne

:)

Archived