Pride of Hawaii worst cruise I've ever taken

grey911

Actually Orient line which operates the Marco Polo is part of Star as well, but no one thinks of them as part on NCL. NMnita

Not even on Cruise Critic. Orient has their own board. See what board NCLA is on?

All the 'love the towel animals' people can flame me, I don't care, I've just never been able to understand this complaint.:rolleyes:

Me too! I want a clean, well-stocked cabin but a towel animal being "necessary" to one's satisfaction with a cruise - I just don't get it.

Yes, nothing AGAINST the towel animals, I enjoy them when I get one, but it isn't going to make or break my cruise and I would never consider it a 'complaint' when I don't get one.:)

Carnival crew gets sent to class to learn them! I don't mean the demo class that we get onboard, a real class, two full days, and they have to pass it!

My room team on the Sun tried to teach me and I was hopeless. They got a good laugh along with their extra tip. :)

That would be me too :p . Unless you count the jumbled towels on the bathroom floor that once resembled a stingray :D . And without a tail!

Iwouldn't even think about trying to learn. Cooking, yes, almost anything but when it comes to things like the darling towel animals, forget it!!!NMnita

Look at all of the items the OP was upset with.

No mints

No Towel Animals

Plastice Wrap on food

They didn't have problems with Room Service, their friends did

Luggage late from Airline, this was NCL's problem why?

Every Food Dish was terrible tasting?

No toppings for the Ice Cream.

Upset a superior was scolding a servant, this happens everyday in the real world.

Upset a worker had to work double shifts.

Rarely there were Potatoes available. (Try different things)

The kids were running around at the pool, "This was Disruptive"

We never saw a show because we ate at 8pm and the show was already begun or no seats left by the time we'd arrive. (Change the time you eat).

The list goes on and on and on.

If you let all of these minor issues bother you you will never have a good time. I believe you your attitude will determine whether you have a good time or not. I don't need NCL to dazzle me with a song and dance for me to have a good time.

Did they even get off the ship?

Well.....it' is an impressive list.....

I know we were on a cruise where I heard help being yelled at and it really bothered me....it was really out of line.. You refer to it as a superior scolding a Servent......WoW.....is that how YOU view them ??

We've been on one other NCL cruise and we had a wait no matter what time we went to dinner.

Personally, I do think a cruise like should attempt to "Dazzle" me. After all I'm paying them my money.

That said......I also believe you are responsible for your own attitude and you have to accept certain things

7 seas, I thought we were the only ones that do not put Hawaii at the top of our favorite list.

We've been to the Hawaiian Islands many times and I must say that the best visit was the first in the mid 70's. Now, if we want tropical, we go to Cancun.

I guess we'll never have o experience NCLA.

I have always heard if you want to see Hawaii, then do it by land. I just could not bear the plane ride. When NCLA began cruising to Hawaii I thought I would do it by ship. Even so, I do not want a floating hotel if that is how I am supposed to view the NCLA ships. I am still "iffy" on cruising to Hawaii. Good thing the world is big!

I think it is unfortunate that NCL gets confused with NCLA. Don, thanks for the added information.

Coka

Again, this is a new poster. You say you had read the boards prior to cruising but did you ask any questions? I guess not.

I really don't see what was so bad, yes, no turn down and no towel Animals. Towel animals are fun, to me they have no baring on how good a cruise is. The beds not being comfortable, well, that can be a real problem. Did you ask for an egg crate? This helps a lot.

You didn't see anything on CDC about a virus outbreak, thank goodness NCL was on the ball so there was no serious problems. I would be thrilled, not complaining.

Of course had you really paid much attention to these boards prior to sailing you would have known NCL and NCLA are two different companies. You would have also learned sailing an American Flagged ship is very different and you don't do Hawaiian Island cruises for a cruise experience as much as for the chance to see as much of Hawaii as possible in a short time.

It sounds like your complaints are really pretty minimul, but if you do not sail NCL again, at least you saw Hawaii. BTW, I finally had to stop reading your review as it ran together so badly it was impossible to follow.

I really find it hard to beleive that a chef came out and advised a crew member to shut the buffet down or what ever he said; again, you lost me there. As for the management criticizing in front of anyone, I agree with you. I saw this once on a ship (it was an NCL ship btw) a bar tender jumped all over a cocktail server because his English wasn't good enough and he brought the wrong drink to someone. Of at least the bar tender assumed that was why the order was wrong. I agree, this is unacceptable and I mentioned this on my comment card at the end of the cruise.

I hope you enjoy your next cruise more regardless of what line you decide to cruise. NMnita

i agree and the chef thing threw up a flag for me as well.

I know we were on a cruise where I heard help being yelled at and it really bothered me....it was really out of line.. You refer to it as a superior scolding a Servent......WoW.....is that how YOU view them ??

We've been on one other NCL cruise and we had a wait no matter what time we went to dinner.

Personally, I do think a cruise like should attempt to "Dazzle" me. After all I'm paying them my money.

That said......I also believe you are responsible for your own attitude and you have to accept certain things

Yeah, that kind of bothered me too. I certainly never thought of people who worked under me as "servants." Co-workers whom I was in charge of as a leader, yes. Servants? This is not the feudal system. (OTOH, I'm very well aware that I have been a servant to my cats over the years, but they are in charge, you know.)

I agree with you as well about berating an employee in front of other staff or customers. It is unprofessional and never appropriate. In fact, in some companies, it's cause for the supervisor or manager to be disciplined by his/her boss.

And I certainly agree about attitude playing a role in how much we enjoy a cruise. I want professional behavior and good service and nice facilities and a clean/stocked cabin and decent food. I like it when they go the extra mile to, as you say, "dazzle," but if they don't, I'm happy as long as we have the basics and we get what we paid for. I won't tolerate unprofessional behavior or truly bad conditions; I will tolerate the fact that ships officers and crew are fallible human beings who are not perfect. I would never fault the cruise line for bad weather; I don't understand that. It's like faulting the cruise line if the airline loses your luggage...:rolleyes:

beachchick

Of course had you really paid much attention to these boards prior to sailing you would have known NCL and NCLA are two different companies. You would have also learned sailing an American Flagged ship is very different and you don't do Hawaiian Island cruises for a cruise experience as much as for the chance to see as much of Hawaii as possible in a short time.

NCL and NCLA maybe different companies,but they are really same sh.....

Look at all of the items the OP was upset with.

No mints

No Towel Animals

Plastice Wrap on food

They didn't have problems with Room Service, their friends did

Luggage late from Airline, this was NCL's problem why?

Every Food Dish was terrible tasting?

No toppings for the Ice Cream.

Upset a superior was scolding a servant, this happens everyday in the real world.

Upset a worker had to work double shifts.

Rarely there were Potatoes available. (Try different things)

The kids were running around at the pool, "This was Disruptive"

We never saw a show because we ate at 8pm and the show was already begun or no seats left by the time we'd arrive. (Change the time you eat).

The list goes on and on and on.

If you let all of these minor issues bother you you will never have a good time. I believe you your attitude will determine whether you have a good time or not. I don't need NCL to dazzle me with a song and dance for me to have a good time.

Did they even get off the ship?

Really?ha-ha-ha.I have much better advise:just book other line and you will love cruising))))

Perhaps you misunderstand the meaning of servant, this is not a derogatory word or name, a servant is a worker. There was no intention to belittle the worker.

it was out of line how?, do you know if the superior was in the right or wrong? What insight do you have on this situation, perhaps this worker has a history of not following orders, who are you to judge.

Welcome to Wikipedia,

the free encyclopedia

A domestic worker, domestic, or servant is one who works within the employer's household. Servants are distinguishable from serfs or slaves in that they are compensated, that is, they must receive payment (and, following labour reforms in the 20th Century, benefits) for their work. They are also free to leave their employment at any time, although socio-economic conditions and laws relating to working in a foreign country may make that difficult.

In large households, there can be a large number of domestic workers doing different jobs, often as part of an elaborate hierarchy.

A butler is a senior domestic worker, whose duties traditionally included handling the wines of the household and some management of the other servants. Female domestic workers are often called maids.

Perhaps you misunderstand the meaning of servant, this is not a derogatory word or name, a servant is a worker. There was no intention to belittle the worker.

it was out of line how?, do you know if the superior was in the right or wrong? What insight do you have on this situation, perhaps this worker has a history of not following orders, who are you to judge.

Welcome to Wikipedia,

the free encyclopedia

A domestic worker, domestic, or servant is one who works within the employer's household. Servants are distinguishable from serfs or slaves in that they are compensated, that is, they must receive payment (and, following labour reforms in the 20th Century, benefits) for their work. They are also free to leave their employment at any time, although socio-economic conditions and laws relating to working in a foreign country may make that difficult.

In large households, there can be a large number of domestic workers doing different jobs, often as part of an elaborate hierarchy.

A butler is a senior domestic worker, whose duties traditionally included handling the wines of the household and some management of the other servants. Female domestic workers are often called maids.

And Wikipedia can be changed (by anyone) to say anything anyone wants it to say. :eek: :rolleyes: ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:About

Wikipedia (IPA: /ˌwikiˈpiːdi.ə/ or /ˌwɪkiˈpiːdi.ə/) is a multilingual, web-based, free content encyclopedia project. Wikipedia is written collaboratively by volunteers from all around the world. With rare exceptions, its articles can be edited by anyone with access to the Internet, simply by clicking the edit this page link. The name Wikipedia is a portmanteau of the words wiki (a type of collaborative website) and encyclopedia. Since its creation in 2001, Wikipedia has grown rapidly into one of the largest reference Web sites on the Internet.

Not disagreeing with your definiton, only pointing out that anyone at anytime can and does change Wikipedia. It is the most unreliable dictionary on the internet. College students, high school students, elementary students, basically anyone that wants to have fun, change the definitions to meet their needs. Do a google search for wikipedia for the latest news. It was all over the news stories the last 3 weeks. :)

You should have seen Wikipedia and the entry "Laci Peterson" during the Scott Peterson trial. The entry changed by the minute as people added and deleted other things.

I personally LOVE wikipedia, but I also take it with a grain of salt and know that I am reading not necessarily the truth or facts. I've edited entries many times, mostly to take out opinions or add "citation needed".

I would also be horrified if I witnessed a superior berating staff in front of me. I'd probably have to say something if I saw that.... (while it was happening and not a complaint later on)...

of course handling the situation the way you would have may be better, but it never occurred to me. I ususlly don't get involved in management disagreements. I guess I sorta feel it isn't my business. To complain on a comment card is just that; a complaint. Not knowing the entire story would keep me from interferring. Even though I don't approve of superiors belittling workers I don't know what may have been the situation. Maybe this was the 100th time he had screwed up an order. Anyway it seemed better to at least point it out in my comments. NMNita

NCL and NCLA maybe different companies,but they are really same sh.....

I assume you have cruised both or are in the travel industry. How else would you come to this conclution?

NMnita

Oh, I didn't mean to armchair quaterback how you handled it. I was just thinking how I might handle it if I see it when I go and I was thinking I might say something like: It makes me anxious to see you berate a worker in front of me and I don't want to see that on my cruise. Ya know. I didn't mean to say I would have done it differently than you did... I was just more or less thinking aloud...

Oh, I didn't mean to armchair quaterback how you handled it. I was just thinking how I might handle it if I see it when I go and I was thinking I might say something like: It makes me anxious to see you berate a worker in front of me and I don't want to see that on my cruise. Ya know. I didn't mean to say I would have done it differently than you did... I was just more or less thinking aloud...

No, you are probably right; we should have said something. As for armchair quarterbacking I do it all the time. LOL

I have always heard if you want to see Hawaii, then do it by land. I just could not bear the plane ride.

I disagree. Just look up your alternatives.

We did a 12 day cruise from Ensenada to Hawaii, and only had to put up with a 5 hour plane ride, and then sailed the rest of the way!

Loved changing the clocks along the way as well.

But what was really nice, was, being we had never been there, we got the overview we needed, so sort of scouted out where we would go if we ever returned. I wasn't interested in staying on one spot, and then go flying around, or worse yet, staying in multiple places.

Cruising Hawaii gave us exactly what we were looking for.

But those 7 days for the land part where quite exhausting. It's too bad we did our sea part first. Maybe we were just TOO relaxed.

We've also never returned, but if I were to, we enjoyed our cruise so much, we'd probably do it again. It's just harder to dedicate 12 days to doing it. My 9 year old has been bugging us to take her there, being that she was there with us the first time, only in vitro.

A seven day cruise with her would be perfect, if only we could find a perfect cruise to take her there.

I, too, will wait to read some stellar over the top experiences, or choose an alternative.

BTW, the return plane ride wasn't bad at all. It was an overnighter, and for some strange reason, I slept for the first time on a plane. I must have been that exhausted. But it certainly made the ride home painless.

Mahalo! :)

Archived