A few questions about David and Ivan's tour

Tom Servo

Just returned Saturday on the Grand Princess. We had a reservation with The Native Choice for our stop in Costa Maya. When we got off the boat they were not at the transportation booth so we went into town to the Cat's Meow. We found out that they are no longer using the Cat's Meow for their tours, and that they just go to the piers and as soon as they have enough people, they leave. They do not regard reservations and left us stranded. We were able to get to the ruins with a company called El Tucan de Costa Maya. They took us there for less than David and Ivan. The tours are run by the government once you get there.

I would not rely on them being there for you!!!

We recently took the tour with 'David and Ivan's' group - The Native Choice is their website. We were in Costa Maya on Monday, April 9 off the Grand Princess - thanks to all the cruise critic people for recommending them. What a fabulous tour. Well organized and very friendly and knowledgeable people. Eliu was our guide and he was fabulous. David was running around when we got off the ship and making sure everything was taken care of and everyone got on the correct bus for their tour. Can't say enough good things about these guys - all very friendly and professional. Be sure not to miss this one.

Rozbe ~ We were traveling with a group of 23 and had 12 in our group that had prearranged last week to go with David and Ivan. (We didn't book because we had been to the ruins before). Anyway, they were to meet at the Cat's Meow and David and Ivan were no shows for them as well. The owner there said it happens too frequently and they are always scrambling to help the people get on other tours.

Good luck!

.... Doesn't David & Ivan's website say all over that they are no longer USING Cat's Meow?

There's this on the page about the Native Choice website Chacchoben Mayan Ruins tour:

This tour departs from our new office in Mahahual village.

Please note that we are no longer at Cats Meow Restaurant!

Check our
for further details on

http://www.thenativechoice.com/ourlocation.php <--- a page dedicated to finding them

So.... why are people still going to Cat's Meow and getting angry not to find them? It clearly says their tours DON'T begin there anymore. Am I the only one actually doing my homework?? :confused:

.... Doesn't David & Ivan's website say all over that they are no longer USING Cat's Meow?

There's this on the page about the Native Choice website Chacchoben Mayan Ruins tour:

This tour departs from our new office in Mahahual village.

Please note that we are no longer at Cats Meow Restaurant!

Check our
for further details on

http://www.thenativechoice.com/ourlocation.php <--- a page dedicated to finding them

So.... why are people still going to Cat's Meow and getting angry not to find them? It clearly says their tours DON'T begin there anymore. Am I the only one actually doing my homework?? :confused:

HMMM -- so is Cat's Meow screwing David and Ivan customers, and booking them with somebody else instead of honestly telling them where the new office is?? A bit of skullduggery going on??? A falling out??

>:-)

Manamin and Merced MIke, Interesting take on this. I'd just re-checked their web site a few days ago and noticed the changes in mtg point.

Hope ita ll works well and we don't miss their tour.

Oh well, worst comes to worst, we'll spend the entire day on the beach!!!

Will let you know here how it goes. We'er scheduled with them on May 4, off Carnival Valor.

They must have changed their website after we left on our trip. They had my e-mail address and could have notified us if they were no longer at the Cat's Meow. Also, we searched out another company and they did not try to steal David and Ivan's business. Hopefully whoever has booked them will find them when they get to Costa Maya, but I wouldn't depend on them

Manamin and Merced MIke, Interesting take on this. I'd just re-checked their web site a few days ago and noticed the changes in mtg point.

Hope ita ll works well and we don't miss their tour.

Oh well, worst comes to worst, we'll spend the entire day on the beach!!!

Will let you know here how it goes. We'er scheduled with them on May 4, off Carnival Valor.

David and Ivan do not have a "booth" at the port, but if you ask just about anyone, they will point them out to you. Both David and another representative were present (I don't remember the young man's name, but he was a scuba diver). I loved how friendly everyone was in Mexico. Even when their job was to sell you something and you had booked with their competition, they still went out of their way to help you out.

When we met them we ended up waiting for almost an hour for a couple who didn't show up. I wonder if they ended up a the Cat's Meow instead?

Ivan said that he was familiar with Cruise Critic, but that most of their business came through travel agents. On our tour everyone was from Cruise Critic!

It is too late to edit, but it just hit me that they couldn't have missed anyone. David and the young man were at the port, and Ivan was waiting for us in Majahaul. I thought it was strange that he met us there (we were transported by van) but he was probably waiting for people at the Cat's Meow!

HMMM -- so is Cat's Meow screwing David and Ivan customers, and booking them with somebody else instead of honestly telling them where the new office is?? A bit of skullduggery going on??? A falling out??

>:-)

Yes it is pretty odd - since just about anyone at the port transportation area will direct you to them AND it is interesting that the people who say they were stood up did not ask around at the port or use the cell-phone number for David.

When we went with them, they had Pedro waiting at the port and David was at the Cat's Meow (I know this is changed now). I was very careful to have phone numbers printed in case I could not find them.

Interestingly on our tour some people ambled off the ship VERY late and David had to send a taxi to pick them up back at the port (luckily they did call his cell phone number or they would have been out of luck) - so in my experience they REALLY make an effort to round up everyone but some people make it hard.

What time does Ivan and David's tour get back to Mahujual? We'd like to do the tour and also go to the beach. Is there enough time?

How many hours do you have? It depends on the schedule of the ship. You SHOULD be able to do the tour and then have 2+ hours in town/at the beach. Our ship was late to dock and we waited for a long time for a couple who did a no show. And then we were a particularly curious group, and he did not rush or hurry us. We got back to town about 90 minutes before final boarding for our ship (Splendour), which was about an hour later than planned, but COMPLETELY safe.

MercedMike,

I've seen a lot of posts from you recommending David and Ivan's tour, so thought I'd ask you some questions directly, if that's okay...

We will have our 6 and 3 year old with us - is this tour really feasible for their age? Also, what about bathrooms - are there any along the way?? (Kids can't hold it forever, you know!!) Do they offer a discounted price for kids?

Thank you, in advance, for any info you can provide. Appreciate it!:)

They arrange their tours according to the ships in port. If there are different ships with different arrival times, there will be different tours -- one hour after each ship arrives.

I agree with the others that it is an easy, leisurely walk. Climbing to the top of the big steps might be difficult, but there is plenty to see without going up there.

Check out our pics at

Western Caribbean Cruise

Have a GREAT cruise!

Hi Stingrae,

I'm not MercedMike but I booked this tour for our family for our June cruise. Kid's rate is $40/ adults $43. Not much of a discount but I guess they still take up almost the same amount of space! I don't know about the bathrooms, but I seem to remember reading about "primitive" facilities at the ruins.

Here's there web site to check out

www.thenativechoice.com

helene

:) My mom and I just got back from the tour with them. David was at the pier to make sure people knew where they were going. The tour was great-the talks at each structure were informative and interesting. if you had no background in mesoamerican archaeology-you could easily follow the talks-if you had a background in it (like I do) you were not bored-very accurate and well done. The tour was relaxing-we were not rushed at all. Its nestled in the jungle so its not too hot, beautiful scenery, more structires excavated than I had expected. I got bit by one mosquito. The walking wasnt too bad. At the last structure there were some steps to climb-my mom had a knee operation last year so she took the "easy route" I took the steeper stairs-neither had any problem. Whats nice too is there is still time for the beach-so afterward we were droped off at the Cats Meow-everything positive others have said is true. Yummy food and cheap beer right on the beach. If you want to see these ruins-go with David and Ivan!!! did I mention its half what the cruise lines charge?

MercedMike,

I've seen a lot of posts from you recommending David and Ivan's tour, so thought I'd ask you some questions directly, if that's okay...

We will have our 6 and 3 year old with us - is this tour really feasible for their age? Also, what about bathrooms - are there any along the way?? (Kids can't hold it forever, you know!!) Do they offer a discounted price for kids?:)

There were several young kids on our tour, but maybe not that young. You know your own kids and what they are able to do. It involves about a 45 minute ride out to the site. There are some restrooms at the gift shop, but they are a bit primitive - not quite porta potties but not what we consider clean modern restrooms. Take hand sanitizer for the restrooms! Then it is a fairly good walk around the site, a couple of hours, until you get back to the gift shop. It is not strictly regimented, and the kids can meander and even run around a bit during the tour.

I think the kids would love it, but if your 3 y o is the kind that suddenly says, "Potty now!!" (and I know they can!) you might have problems. OTOH if you can tell them before leaving the ship, "GO NOW!" and then they are good for a while, you will probably be OK.

Have a GREAT cruise!

Mike - and - Helene,

Thanks for the info! I booked this tour today. I'm sure it will be great - I've heard/read so many great things about David and Ivan. Thanks again!

Hi Stingrae,

I'm not MercedMike but I booked this tour for our family for our June cruise. Kid's rate is $40/ adults $43. Not much of a discount but I guess they still take up almost the same amount of space! I don't know about the bathrooms, but I seem to remember reading about "primitive" facilities at the ruins.

Here's there web site to check out

www.thenativechoice.com

helene

I've had the good fortune to travel a bit over the years, I have to say the ruins tour with Ivan was one of the best experiences I've ever had. We went Thursday the 26th, They met us at the port an hour after we docked, drove us to the real estate office that they use now and we left from there. The drive to the ruins was very informative about current culture etc. The indepth explanation of the culture that created the site really made the experience. We had a group of 10 and we successfully avoided the tour bus groups that came and went as we were there. It was a magical experience that I recommend most highly. Oh, we had plenty of time for a bucket beer ( 6 for $ 10 )on the beach at El Faro, great food too.

Archived