A few questions about David and Ivan's tour

Tom Servo

After reading about all of the great feedback on David and Ivan's tour, my wife and I were thinking about taking one when we'll be in Costa Maya at the end of this month. I was just wondering when the tours usually start, and since I've read that there are multiple tour guides, are there various times throughout the morning that you can start the tour, or are they all scheduled to begin approximately at the same time?

Also, I am recovering from a slight injury that makes long walks difficult for me at this time. Is there a lot of walking involved in the tour, or is it pretty leisurely?

Thanks!

After reading about all of the great feedback on David and Ivan's tour, my wife and I were thinking about taking one when we'll be in Costa Maya at the end of this month. I was just wondering when the tours usually start, and since I've read that there are multiple tour guides, are there various times throughout the morning that you can start the tour, or are they all scheduled to begin approximately at the same time?

Also, I am recovering from a slight injury that makes long walks difficult for me at this time. Is there a lot of walking involved in the tour, or is it pretty leisurely?

Thanks!

They actual have more than one tour but the regular chacchoben ruins tour is their most popular. If the group that day is large, more than one guide will accompany the tour. Our group was unusually large (about 30 people) and we had Ivan and two of his assistants. Ivan conducted the tour and Carolina and her husband assisted anyone who needed help. They only run one "regular" Chacchoben ruins tour in the morning and schedule it for about 1 hour after the ships arrive. I have problems walking long distances and was able to do the tour with no problems (They move at a leisurely pace and there are opportinities to sit down). Carolina (who is wonderful) even assisted me so that I could climb up the Grand Basiamento - worth it for the great view - do do it if you can.

The tour begins 1hr after the ship arrives. Their kiosk is located next to the ticket booth for going to town. You have to leave the shopping complex near the red building. Once you arrive they will take your name, you pay $3pp transport fee and wait for the others. The group was large around 40 people so we took a bus and split into two groups for the tour. I think David as a guide is much better but his assistants are learning. There is walking around 1 1/2hrs on level ground with some places to stop and rest. It is a leasurily pace but HOT so bring extra water.

We had a great time compared to the hit n' run tours coming from the ship. Plenty of time to relax and take pictures once the cruisers moved through. You will learn more from them, save $$ and have a better experience.

They arrange their tours according to the ships in port. If there are different ships with different arrival times, there will be different tours -- one hour after each ship arrives.

I agree with the others that it is an easy, leisurely walk. Climbing to the top of the big steps might be difficult, but there is plenty to see without going up there.

Check out our pics at

Western Caribbean Cruise

Have a GREAT cruise!

My husband has spent the last month and a half recoving from cellulitis, an infection in his leg, and his doctor told him to take it easy on this tour. The walk was easy, with lots of opportunities for resting - enough that he decided to climb the Gran Basimento and didn't regret a moment of doing so. As they will tell you, this part of the Yucatan is flat; if you see a hill, it's probably an unexcavated ruin.

MercedMike - I did want to thank you for your posts and your wonderful pictures. We had a great time at Chacchoben, and the weather cooperated for us to have lunch in Chacchoben village. I'm glad we were able to experience it; hopefully, I'll be able to post some photos soon, once I finish editing them.

Just back from the 3/5 WC cruise aboard the Fantasy. As for the tour, we got off to a bad start. One member of our party fell ill on our day in Costa Maya and did not make the tour. Secondly, our now party of three, proceeded to get our own transportation into town to meet the tour group at the Cat's Meow. Upon arrival, we were informed that we'd just missed the tour!!! But this is where we learned of the professionalism of this tour company. Seems there had been some transportation problem which caused the tour to leave the Cat's Meow early. The restaurant owner, Barbara, made a phone call to the tour company to explain our situation. After a short discussion, and 3 orders of coconut shrimp later...a member of tour company (Silvanna) made her way to us as we ate lunch. She made a call to Ivan to arrange transportation for us since we still wanted to tour the ruins. But since our lunch was arriving at the same time, they postponed long enough for us to eat. Silvanna waited with us until transportation arrived a short while later. Our guide/driver's name is Eliu. He's is a very knowledgeable and personable young man. Since we'd gotten off to this bad start, Eliu offered us the option of a "private" tour (for our party of 3). We were all blown away! My wife, sister-in-law and I were very impressed by the wealth of knowledge Eliu shared. We were the last group to get to the ruins and the last group to leave. We never felt rushed. It was truly the best day of the entire cruise!!! The only drawback was my wife left one of our two-way radios in the womens restroom. If anyone finds it, it's a black Uniden (rechargeable battery).....just in case. :o

If you're in Costa Maya, do yourself a favor and book this tour and this tour company!!!!

1071172104_JulieBonnieatCatsMeow2.jpg.b9c159f43c635a72ed7b3947b380230c.jpg

1970774595_JulieBonnieEliuattemple2.jpg.2a1a908b82ba0a4aa9d92dc49721ca9d.jpg

790414742_MainTemple2.jpg.4872c845229e8a29d688f2823f09593a.jpg

632540828_Meatsecondtemple2.jpg.bc901c69b28d70ee86ed6c89d036d0ab.jpg

Did you book with them online. I filled out the form a couple of days ago, and emailed them a week ago and still have not heard from them. I do not leave until May but still I like to have everything planned. I have heard that it does take awhile for them to get back to you, has anyone ever not heard back from David and Ivan.

Thanks

Pam

I did book with them on the Native Choice website. The response was certainly slow, but as explained by Eliu (our tour guide), internet access is somewhat sketchy for the residents of Mahahual. You have plenty of time yet...if you don't hear from them in a week or so, try reserving online once more.

Thanks everyone for all of the great information. My family and I (a total of 7 in our group) are going in June and had booked the tour through Carnival. After reading all the wonderful information, we cancelled that and booked with David and Ivan yesterday. I received my email confirmation today. We actually booked the Mayan Experience tour with them. Not only will we get to visit the ruins, but we will also have the opportunity to meet and visit a family of mayan decendants and will enjoy a typical pre-hispanic lunch. From a review that I read in Cruise Critics, it is a fun and informative tour.

We actually booked the Mayan Experience tour with them. Not only will we get to visit the ruins, but we will also have the opportunity to meet and visit a family of mayan decendants and will enjoy a typical pre-hispanic lunch. From a review that I read in Cruise Critics, it is a fun and informative tour.

We took this tour a few weeks ago and had a great time. Making tortillas isn't as easy as it looks!

nybumpkin, did you actually get a chance to make them? The description was not clear. The kids will have a blast trying that out!

Yes, we did. They give anyone who wants to try a chance to make them. Here's my oldest giving it a try:

1585251792_Chacchobenvillage3.jpg.29b580b106c49f7a6462d174e0355304.jpg

My question is the tour starts one hour after ship docks. How long does it take to get to the Cats Meow and how do you get off the ship. This is my first cruise and I am a little scared that I have to take public transportation to town. But all the reviews here are great and I want to give them a try. Is there a line to wait to get off or do you just wait until they announce that you can leave the boat. I just want to make sure we have enough time.

Thanks

Pam.

You just wait until they they announce you can leave the boat.

At the exit from the pier shopping area there will be plenty of shared vans/taxis to go into town. They cost $2 or $3 each way (I do not remember which) and take about 10 minutes to get to town. They drop you off at the edge of town and the Cat's Meow is one of the first buildings.

• 3 weeks later...

This was one the best tours so far that we took, my DH has trouble walking but had plenty of time to sit and talk with David, lots of information, while the rest of us was taking pictures. Make sure you stop at Pineapple City on the way back and buy a bag of pineapple with chili powder on it, try it it was great... Some the best pineapple we have ever had, a couple of years ago it was $1 a bag.

This was one the best tours so far that we took, my DH has trouble walking but had plenty of time to sit and talk with David, lots of information, while the rest of us was taking pictures. Make sure you stop at Pineapple City on the way back and buy a bag of pineapple with chili powder on it, try it it was great... Some the best pineapple we have ever had, a couple of years ago it was $1 a bag.

We agree"This was one of the best tours" we took! We were met at the pier area and transported to Mahual Beach area where Ivan introduced himself . We travelled in a van with 10 other people[from one family!] . Ivan gave an excellent talk on the way to the ruins..he is knowledgeable of all Mayan culture.

We will definetly be back to see and hear more! "Native Choice Tours" are the best! April & Wayne EOS Mar25-Apr1/07

We just got back last week, having sailed on the 3/31 Splendour of the Seas. Our group of 7 (DH, DS, and our friends and their 2 sons) all did the tour of Mayan ruins with Ivan as our guide. It was absolutely fantastic. Perhaps the best testimonial I can give is that even all 3 teen boys (16, 16, and 13) really enjoyed it. Our ship was scheduled to dock at 7. We got off the ship, walked down the dock into the shopping area and walked through and out toward the street and shortly before 8 found David and the vans that would take us to the ruins. We asked as we went and some folks were able to direct us too. The vans took us to the site, where we met Ivan. SMN

DW and I just got back from a 7-day cruise around the Western Caribbean. David & Ivan's tour of Chaccoben ruins was one of the highlights. DW has MS and can't walk long distances or climb a lot of stairs. However, the tour was easy for her, with lots of time to stop and rest, take photos etc. There is one place where you can climb up about 30 steps to the top of a manmade hill where a couple of the pyramids sit, but DW and some other people stayed at the bottom of the steps and rested while others climbed to the top, took photos, etc. There was enough people (about 30) that Native Choice used a bus instead of vans. David took the entire group around, and he was GREAT--often stopping to pull leaves from trees and have us smell them to demonstrate how the Mayans used them like we would use garlic and cloves, etc. They also had a cooler chest with bottles of purified water--it was a HOT day. They then offered to drop us directly back at the cruise port or take us to Mahahual.

Definitely made our day in Costa Maya!

Alan

We also booked a tour with David and Ivan. When we arrived at the Cat's Meow no one was there. The man working in the clothing stall next to the Cat's Meow said that David and Ivan often just don't show up. I had been concerned because after their initial email to confirm our tour, I never heard from them. There was another tour operator there who was willing to take our group for the same price as David and Ivan. We were driven to the ruins by Carlos and met by Carolina, who often works with David and Ivan. She was terrific and made our experience worthwhile. Our kids even enjoyed it! So my message to anyone worried about having everything planned out, it all works out. After the tour we went back to the village and at a Captain Mono's, had great guacamole and it wasn't as crowded as in front of the Cat's Meow.

Archived