What is a hump cabin & why is it better?

An aft cabin is at the very back of the ship. The hump cabins are different - they are in the center of the ship. Most aft cabins have a view of the wake of the ship as you are looking out over the back of the ship, not seeing a view from the side of the ship.

We loved the hump cabin!! We were in 7620 in January on the Mariner. Just as everyone said it is very quiet and centrally located. You won't be sorry if you book it.

Imcpark

Thanks for all the info on hump cabins. Did not know about them. We are booked on the Mariner for April 15. Would you believe cabin 7620. We were just told that was a good location. Now we know why.

All this cabin stuff makes me nuts. I can't keep up with it :(

All I know is we have always gotten an OS and have loved it - esp on the Freedom, since it was a bit roomier and the balcony was quite a bit larger. On the mariner we are in a hump cabin - I have no idea if it will be "better" or not.

On the mariner we are in a hump cabin - I have no idea if it will be "better" or not.

Please let us know upon your return from the Mariner. :) I've only been on one cruise (the Mariner) and had a hump cabin. I'd book it again in a heartbeat! The extra balcony room the aft cabins have didn't justify the view of all that metal. I may be wrong though - haven't seen it in person.

I passed one up when I booked the Serenade. It was before I really started getting into reading these boards, and for some reason ( don't remember why now ) I thought it would not be a good location. Obviously, I was mistaken. :(

-Mike

P.S. I hope this thread does not end up spawning a thread titled... "Hump Cabin snobs" :D :D

Just off the Mariner (first time cruiser!) with hump cabin 9622 - ... I don't think I would mind being forward or aft of the hump - just not the first or second cabin before the hump because there is less privacy.

Good luck!

Why less privacy? We are booked in April AOS 8632 and 8634, 2nd and 3rd behind the hump. Can people in the hump cabin look into those balconies?:eek:

Why less privacy? We are booked in April AOS 8632 and 8634, 2nd and 3rd behind the hump. Can people in the hump cabin look into those balconies?:eek:

Potentially, BUT... in order to see to either side of the hump cabins (or any cabin, I imagine), you have to lean out. So, if a person is leaning out to look from forward to aft, then they would be able to see onto the balconies just past the hump (not the entire balcony, just a little into it). In reality, I think you'll be fine and will have all the privacy you need. :)

I guess it depends on the balcony. On the Jewel we could see other folks and they could see us. Wasn't a big deal. This was cabin #1554. I would take it again in a heartbeat. The views were outstanding.:)

PC020049.jpg.b2f82ca8c81f41af17a3f71fd9e0637b.jpg

PC020045.jpg.1aa960e0d4ed006fde8bd8722cb7cd59.jpg

We are in an "end hump" cabin on the Liberty. We are the first hump cabin, but next door to us (middle of the hump) is a suite. Someone said that our balcony might actually be smaller than a normal balcony--does anyone know about this? We are deck 10.

So are ALL hump cabins great? Or are there certain decks that are considered to be "better"?

Not sure! But we LOVED the 9th deck on the Mariner... it was central "horizontally" and somewhat central "vertically." We took the stairs to almost everything (except after a long, hard day relaxing at the beach, then we'd consider taking the elevator... ;)). I wouldn't hesitate to book the 9th deck again - I'd even try the 10th or 8th. Heck, I'd try any of them to be on a cruise again! :D I really liked the view from being so high, but, ultimately, a different deck (even a non-hump) wouldn't be a deal breaker for me.

What if the hump cabin is near elevators and the Centruim, do you think it would noisey? I'm debating whether to change our deck 9 JS to a hump or not? Help!!!

You will hear no noise from Elevators or Centrum! The location is the most convenient, especially deck 10, 1 set of stairs up to Windjammer and pool deck:) .

What if the hump cabin is near elevators and the Centruim, do you think it would noisey? I'm debating whether to change our deck 9 JS to a hump or not? Help!!!

Nope, you won't (or shouldn't!) hear any noise. Here's a 'drawing' - I hope it doesn't distort when I post it! Basically, upon leaving the elevator bank, you will walk into an open area near the stairs. If you turn left or right you will go through a doorway and enter the cabin hallway. There is a physical divider (wall) that separates the elevators & stairs from the cabins. Sorry for such a basic rendition, but I hope it gets the point across. :)

Elevator Bank Open Area Stairs

**************** (Entrance to Cabins) *************

Interior Cabins Interior Cabins

HALLWAY

Balcony Cabins +++ Hump Cabins +++ Balcony Cabins

OK, you all convinced me that a JS hump cabin would be great!!! I saw one become available today on our AOS for 8 April on deck 9 so I snatched it up. It's dead center of the hump.....hoping I made a good choice. Will let everyone know when we return.

One other thing....our luggage tags are wrong now. My TA told me that I could get new ones at the Pier. Not sure I feel comfortable with that. I was going to call RCI to request new tags. Do you think they will send them to us? We're not leaving for 3 weeks.

OK, you all convinced me that a JS hump cabin would be great!!! I saw one become available today on our AOS for 8 April on deck 9 so I snatched it up. It's dead center of the hump.....hoping I made a good choice. Will let everyone know when we return.

One other thing....our luggage tags are wrong now. My TA told me that I could get new ones at the Pier. Not sure I feel comfortable with that. I was going to call RCI to request new tags. Do you think they will send them to us? We're not leaving for 3 weeks.

Hello from another Jersey girl. I called RCI the other day because the cabin # on my luggage tags is also wrong. She told me to simply use a Sharpie to change it because "only PEOPLE read the tags". She said many people change their cabins after the docs are mailed out and it's not a big deal.

Have fun on your cruise -- we sail the same day, but on Explorer.

Archived