Kids Dining Room Dress Code

beach410

My boys have no casual dress pants. They have slacks for formal night. I know the rule for adults is no shorts in the DR, does the same rool apply for kids too? I am not thinking about athletic or jeans shorts, but nice dress shorts, like Kaki's and a polo shirt? Is this acceptable, or should I go buy them some casual pants that they will probably never wear again as they will grow out of them by the next time we cruise?

The same rules apply for kids as adults. No shorts in the dining rooms at night. Go buy some inexpensive pants at Old Navy, WalMart or Taget for $7.99. It's not like a huge amount of money to worry about wasting.

And I can tell you that the dining room is COLD with the AC on. They might not be comfortable in shorts anyway.

I know the rule for adults is no shorts in the DR...

It's the dress code for the dining room and has nothing to do with the age of the diners. I end up with the same problem with DD--she doesn't even own a dress and rarely wears skirts. But, each time we cruise, I watch the sales for a couple of months prior and pick up a few skirts for $10 or even less sometimes.

They'll need only a couple of pairs of pants and they can change back into their shorts right after diner.

Cheers!

Jayne

:)

How long is your cruise and how dressy are the dress slacks? My point is, could they wear the dress slacks with their polo's or whatever on the casual nights, then with their dress clothes on formal nights? The other obvious solution,as stated, buy them an inexpensive pair of pants. Hey, you might like cruising so much that they'll actually wear them again... on your next cruise.

My 4 very typical teens wear some strange clothes. We end up buying a few inexpensive items and they wear them multiple times. We have even bought almost new stuff from the consignment store. When you have 5 kids, you have to shop wisely, mine won't wear these again unless there is a wedding or funeral, god forbid.

For my ten year old twin boys last year, I bought each of them one pair of navy and one pair of khaki pants (at Wal-Mart or Target). They already had nice pullover-type shirts with collars that they could wear, and they wore each pair of pants twice (they changed right after dinner). For their formal wear, I ended up purchasing a suit (it was called a "tux") on e-bay - pants, jacket, vest, shirt, and tie for $35.00 each :eek: !

For my 6 year old son, I bought him some of the pants with the zip off bottoms that turn into shorts. They are nice looking and you can't tell that they zip off. I got one khaki pair and one navy blue. I got these clearance at Walmart for $7.00 last week. That way, I know he'll get to use them as shorts and I have him dressed appropriately for dinner.

Posted this question on my way out the door to Walmart, already knowing I was going to buy them anyway, because I figured this would be the response :D . The last time we cruised the boys were younger and I think a couple of nights they wore the longer style kaki shorts with boat shoes. They are 9 and 14 now and I want them to be comfortable and presentable. Tomorrow I am going to Kohl's to see the selection they have as well. Going to treat myself to something as well, ;) . The good thing is my 9 year old will eventually fit into his brothers and I know plenty of people with younger boys who really appreciate our hand me downs :).

Posted this question on my way out the door to Walmart, already knowing I was going to buy them anyway, because I figured this would be the response :D . The last time we cruised the boys were younger and I think a couple of nights they wore the longer style kaki shorts with boat shoes. They are 9 and 14 now and I want them to be comfortable and presentable. Tomorrow I am going to Kohl's to see the selection they have as well. Going to treat myself to something as well, ;) . The good thing is my 9 year old will eventually fit into his brothers and I know plenty of people with younger boys who really appreciate our hand me downs :).

Good choice. ;) Always a great day when it's a shopping day. Have fun! :p

Have a wonderful cruise and enjoy this time with the family!!!

Archived