Rum Factories - Which One is better?

love2306

We are looking to do our own thing, touring a rum factory sounds interesting and close to the ship.

Do we want to go to Malibu or Mount Gay or both?

I believe i heard somewhere on here a taxi would be $3US per person - assuming that is each way?

What are the length of the tours?

What's included?

Is Babados drinking age - 18 or 21?

I've heard theres a beach by Malibu is the same near Mount Gay?

Is there anything else we should know?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Use this map

http://barbados.org/maps_google.htm

Just select a map point and click view

I found a lot of info on both tours

Malibu Beach Club & Visitor Centre

Learn more about rum production on a tour through the distillery. The beach club is the perfect place to relax with a cocktail or enjoy watersports activities.

Mount Gay Rum Visitors Centre

Discover the history of Mount Gay Rum, see how local rum is produced, and of course have a taste!

It looks like they are both on, or near, Brandon's beach near the cruise ship dock :o)

I can't wait to drink some Free rum

I don't think the Malibu Visitor Center has a website... what information are you looking for?

The questions the original posters asked.

Which of the two is the best?

How long is the tours? How much?

Taxi cost? Or best way to get there.

Best prices on rum?

Thanks for any info

Use this map

http://barbados.org/maps_google.htm

Just select a map point and click view

I found a lot of info on both tours

Learn more about rum production on a tour through the distillery. The beach club is the perfect place to relax with a cocktail or enjoy watersports activities.

Mount Gay Rum Visitors Centre

Discover the history of Mount Gay Rum, see how local rum is produced, and of course have a taste!

It looks like they are both on, or near, Brandon's beach near the cruise ship dock :o)

I can't wait to drink some Free rum

Thanks I will check out the link after work today.

Yes thanks for atleast responding - I was looking for more information from the trusted cruise critic-ers. I have been to all the sites listed above about them - With what I found - not really much help in planning a day around this - Has no one been there themselves? Any island locals lurking on this board to help us out? Please look at the original questions or the ones 'judyf' so kindly restated a few posts ago. I know someone has to know something (and yes i did do a search before posting - didnt find many answers there either) Thanks in advance!!!

As I said above, the Malibu factory is great. It is a cheap cab ride from the boat area (cabs are readily available). The tour is the best one we have seen of a rum factory (must better, for example, than Bacardi on PR). They start with a video (entertaining and funny while still informative), then take you step by step through the rum-making process in a factory tour. Before and/or after the tour, you can spend the day on their lovely, private beach. The tour also includes at least one (maybe two) drinks. They also have a small restaurant that serves "beach food" for lunch. I would highly recommend spending the day at Malibu!

The questions the original posters asked.

How long is the tours? How much?

best way to get there.

Mount Gay Rum Tour

ADMISSION US$6.00. Regular 45 minute tours from 9:30am to 3:30pm, Monday to Friday...tours run every hour. The visitor’s center is only 10 blocks walk from the dock

Hours Mon-Fri 9am-5pm Admission BD$65 (US$33) with lunch and transportation from your hotel. Basic tour BD$20 (US$10); day pass BD$80 (US$40) only a 15 block walk from the dock

As I said above, the Malibu factory is great. It is a cheap cab ride from the boat area (cabs are readily available). The tour is the best one we have seen of a rum factory (must better, for example, than Bacardi on PR). They start with a video (entertaining and funny while still informative), then take you step by step through the rum-making process in a factory tour. Before and/or after the tour, you can spend the day on their lovely, private beach. The tour also includes at least one (maybe two) drinks. They also have a small restaurant that serves "beach food" for lunch. I would highly recommend spending the day at Malibu!

Great info!!! Thanks for posting.

Do you know if there was water sports available at the Malibu beach?

I'm trying to decide on the MGF and Boatyard for the day OR Malibu and spend time at that beach.

Hours Mon-Fri 9am-5pm Admission BD$65 (US$33) with lunch and transportation from your hotel. Basic tour BD$20 (US$10); day pass BD$80 (US$40) only a 15 block walk from the dock

Wha's the difference in the tours? MGF is only $6 and MB is $20 I'm thinking these are both basic tours?

What's included in a day pass??

Thnaks!!!!!!

Seems like no one has info on the rum factory tours. I was hoping someone could helps us. There's seems to be a lot of questions.

Not true my friend........

My wife and I have toured both the Mount Gay pavilion in Barbados and the Four Square factory which is inland somewhat. The Mt. Gay tour is nice but you need to know they do not make the rum there. It's made somewhere else on the island. At the Four Square factory they do make the rum on site and the tour takes you through every stage of the process.

Both sites serve rum and rum drinks after the tour. Both were fun. If your 'really' into rum try these while on tour; At Mt. Gay try the Tri-Centennial (if there is any left) Warning: It's expensive at something like 10 bucks a shot and at Four Square try the Dooley's XO....about 12 bucks a bottle. Aged in oak for eight years than moved to sherry barrels for another two years. Very unusual taste and very smooth. While many people here consider Captain Morgan's Spice rum the king is this style. Four Square has one that has beaten Captain Morgan time after time in taste testing contests.......try some.

Drop me a line at gtidan2@sbcglobal.net and I'll send you some photos of both places......my pleasure.

:)

judyf-

note: malibu is $10 for the basic tour from above - i think you saw the barbados currency cost... an even better deal right?

Thanks I did read that wrong.

I've just searched the MG website again and it really doesn't give you any info unless I missed it some how.

Now there's 3 to pick from. Even more confusing :D

I know I am butting in here (pardon me, pardon me, coming thru )

But back to the Malibu tour & Beach

I think it was asked and not answered about water activities for the beach. Are there chairs to rent , snorkle equipment etc?

And as a relative newbie to cruising and never to this island I assume if it is easy to get a cab there, they are around to take you back?

We wanted to do a rum tour somewhere, hubs was wanting to do a pub crawl thingy here that was only 3 beach bars, and I would love to drink and plop, this malibu sounds like maybe it could make us both happy. Hitting lots of islands & would like one day with a close beach to just plop, read ,drink , this seems perfect.

Anymore info would be much appreciated

frog - avalibility of taxis back is a good question actually.... slighty off topic but on our last cruise in november we went to maho beach in st. marteen - very easy to get a cab to - but when we wanted to come back no cabs around - we ended up getting back ok but something that should be taken into consideration. I guess you could arrange for it to be a roundtrip fare but if its $3 bucks each way per person like i think it is - I personally would be skeptical that someone would "remember" to come back for 6-12 bucks - Has anybody walked to thesee places - thought i heard somewhere its maybe a 30 minute walk - but does anyone know what kind of a walk that is (are there sidewalks? is it through an ok part of town? any guidance as to directions?)

I did both Malibu and Mount Gaye just this past November. The two tours are very different and but together they give you a excellent education on the manufacturing of rum. I took a taxi to Mount Gaye (cost me $6 US) then walked up the street to Malibu Beach. Mount Gaye is on the main highway while Malibu is off this same road through a residential neighborhood. Yes, they're both close enough to the docks but I would not suggest walking it from the ship. It's not scenic in any way, mostly industrial. And there are NO SIDEWALKS!

Mount Gaye's tour was $8 US per person which includes 4 different rum tastings. Their gift shop offers many types of rum, including several which are not distributed in the US. Also, their prices are EXCELLENT. Buy as much as you can carry!

Malibu's tour was $10 US per person which includes 2 different rum tastings, 2 drink tickets and the use of their beach and facilities (a bar/snack bar, showers, changing rooms, beach chairs, etc) for 1/2 day. Their gift shop ONLY offers Malibu original and not any of their other flavors. Prices are compatible to US prices. Wait and buy your Malibu at home.

Mount Gay is really only a bottling facility. Malibu is an actual distillery...for the base rum, not the coconut flavored rum we all know as Malibu. The base rum is shipped to Canada or France for bottling. The coconut flavoring is added at that time.

LOTS of taxis are available at Malibu beach for a return trip to the ship. Cost was $8 US.

Sorry, I did not use the beach facilities at Malibu Beach so I cannot tell you what water activities are available. I was there for the rum....ahh the sweet delicious rum! Pass me the bottle please!

Thanks Fancy Goods. Great info. Sounds like a really nice day at Mailbu.

Just explain if you can the 1/2 day

Malibu's tour was $10 US per person which includes 2 different rum tastings, 2 drink tickets and the use of their beach and facilities (a bar/snack bar, showers, changing rooms, beach chairs, etc) for 1/2 day.

If we go in the morning and our ship sails at 6pm can we stay there till time to go back to the ship?

Archived