New York June 8 hotel/parking recommendations

Cancruizer

We booked the Marriott at Brooklyn Bridge for September, but I read that there is a new Holiday Inn Express in the area. We're from California, so I have no idea about the surroundings/safety of that location.

We will be sailing on the Crown Princess June 8 and just looked into the Marriott Brooklyn Bridge and it seems to be all booked. Any other recommendations for a hotel that is conveniently located would be appreciated.:)

If you really want to stay in Brooklyn, the HOLIDAY INN EXPRESS (625 UNION ST./BROOKLYN, NY 11215) shows availability for June 7th/1 night. Check the web-site for rates. Cheaper (much) than Manhattan, but not as exciting (or interesting). OK if you don't plan any activities while in town, since it really isn't all that centrally located, even for Brooklyn.

We booked the Marriott at Brooklyn Bridge for September, but I read that there is a new Holiday Inn Express in the area. We're from California, so I have no idea about the surroundings/safety of that location.

The Holiday Inn express which is new last year is located at Union Street between third and fourth avenue. Its an industial area between Park Slope and Carrol Gardens(mainly car repair places). Its about 2 miles from the Cruise terminal(or actual slightly less).

At the Corner of Union Street is the R and N subway that run into Manhattan 15 -20 minutes they run 24 hours a day and the area is quiet...a little too quiet at night to be absolutely safe- take a cab back late at night. I am not sure whether this the 78th Police Precinct or the 76. The 76 hasn't had a murder in three years I believe and crime is significantly down. The Two Toms restuarant is also on third Avenue about 150 yards away from the hotel- Old School Italian. If you can and its not that much more the Marriott is better located but if its full its full. More Hotels will be coming on line in the next year or so.

Does that Holiday Inn Express have a Park and Fly rate??

Not that I know of and no transfer either. You will need to call them directly as its too new and no one has reported them doing it. It has an extremely small parking lot so I doubt it.

We stayed at that HI Express in October. I agree that it's unlikely you could park there. The neighborhood didn't seem all that great - my DH who fears NOTHING decided that it would be best to order pizza delivery rather than venture out on foot even though the front desk clerk pointed out a number of places that were 'just a few blocks away'. Just looks like a neighborhood where a drug deal might go bad. It was okay and reasonably priced for a precruise night. We had flown in so took a taxi from LGA to the HI and then to the pier in the a.m. I'd stay there again under the same circumstances.

Smeyer418 - Thanks for your information. Have read some of your suggestions on other posts and appreciate your knowledge of the area.

I just thought of a great idea, but don't know if it would work? DH says, "not another one of your brilliant ideas." Since we will have driven from CA to Brooklyn, the car will probably need at least an oil change and no doubt something else. I'm just wondering if you know of any place in the Marriott Brooklyn Bridge area that might service the car while we are cruising??? That would also solve any parking problems. Is this a crazy idea? Would appreciate your input!

If you are driving in from CA, and staying in the city is not high on your agenda, you may want to look at a hotel or motel in New Jersey or eastern Pennsylvania.

Basically, there are two (2) approaches to the NYC area.

I-78 starts in Pennsylvania at I-81 (which itself starts at I-40 near the Virginia/Tennessee state line). There are plenty of hotels/motels in Bethlehem and Allentown (PA) which are much more reasonably priced than anything in the NYC surroundings. You can figure about 2 hours to the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal from here. Take I-78 to I-287 (which becomes NJ-440, then NY-440) to the Outerbridge crossing to Staten Island, continuing on to I-278 to the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge. Stay on I-278; it's about 5-6 miles to exit #26 at Hamilton Ave., just a few blocks from the entrance to the cruise terminal. Pick up goodies (soda, beer/wine, snacks, etc.) along the way in PA or NJ, and fill your gas tank while in NJ (much cheaper there). Park at the cruise terminal; last year it was $16/day, with $160 max, as I recall. (Note that this routing avoids Manhattan driving. If you really have that death wish after driving across country, you can stay on I-78 to the end ... the Holland Tunnel to Manhattan. Find your way to Brooklyn from there.)

I-80 starts somewhere in San Francisco (CA) and ends somewhere in eastern New Jersey (at the intersection of I-95... Richfield Park to be exact). You can stay in the Stroudsburg area in PA, or cross into NJ and stay near Parsippany; plenty of hotels in both areas, although, once in NJ, the prices tend to rise. Again, it's about 2 to 2.5 hours to the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal from here, depending on traffic and construction. (Do try to avoid Manhattan during peak hours, unless you are accustomed to driving in NYC.)

(I posted directions from Parsippany elsewhere on this site, so I won't repeat them here.)

Get yourself to http://www.mapquest.com for detailed directions to NYC from here. Also, look into the AAA trip-tix, if you are a member.

These suburban/rural hotel locations offer most of the amenities of life ... shopping malls, McDonalds, Jiffy-Lube (for the oil change), etc. You won't find these in Brooklyn, unless you know your way around Brooklyn.

Of course, if New York City is high on your list, ignore (most of) the above.

But, in any event, have a great cruise!

John - Thank you so much for taking the time to reply with your detailed instructions. I have printed them out and will certainly seriously consider your recommendations. Please know how much this is apreciated.

Holiday Inn express sounds a little scary. Actually, we were driving in from Montreal and would really like to sightsee the day before. We will arrive around 11:30 am and would like to stay closeby, walking or subway, to the city so we can use the full day. Thanks though, we will keep looking.

Check this hotel out. Seems to be a convient location. Free on-site parking. Free breakfast. Just give them a call a find out how far the subway is or any other location you have in mind. All the hotels right in the heart of the city will cost you a fortune. I entered your date of arrival an the going rate starts at $189.00 per night ( King bed )

It is a Marriot courtyard hotel. Good luck. Are you planning on driving to the pier? This would be your best bet and parking is only $18.00 per day. That link is.

http://www.nycruiseterminal.com/index.html

http://marriott.com/hotels/travel/lgaqa-fairfield-inn-new-york-laguardia-airport-astoria/

Smeyer418 - Thanks for your information. Have read some of your suggestions on other posts and appreciate your knowledge of the area.

I just thought of a great idea, but don't know if it would work? DH says, "not another one of your brilliant ideas." Since we will have driven from CA to Brooklyn, the car will probably need at least an oil change and no doubt something else. I'm just wondering if you know of any place in the Marriott Brooklyn Bridge area that might service the car while we are cruising??? That would also solve any parking problems. Is this a crazy idea? Would appreciate your input!

Not while you are cruising and they will charge to park. there is a car wash and oil change place(20 minutes for both max) about 1/2 mile from the Marriott at Flatbust and Marcy I think. Go to Tillary Make a right make a right on Flatbush at the second light I think the car wash oil change place is on your left $21.95 for the car wash and oil change(includes a change of filter)....you can do it on the way to the cruise terminal...

Make the left on flatbush after you get out of the car wash just past fulton street on your right is nevins street make a right onto nevins at atlantic avenue make a right to the end under the highway make the left follow the signs to the cruise terminal less than 10 minutes....

The directions are from the Brooklyn Marriott not the one in Queens

Out of curiosity, does anyone know about the hotel/area of Best Western Brooklyn Bay? Is this near the port? 150$

We are actually considering staying in New Jersey the night before and perhaps not sightseeing. With parking our car, if in the city they charge extra for that, it just looks like sightseeing for a day is going to cost us a fortune. I can get a friends and family rate at a Fairfield Woodbridge, NJ and it is such a good price, we are considering just driving in the day before and heading to the cruise the next day, without sightseeing NY because I think that it will be too far. If anyone knows the area and can tell me if is is safe, i would appreciate it.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know about the hotel/area of Best Western Brooklyn Bay? Is this near the port? 150$

We are actually considering staying in New Jersey the night before and perhaps not sightseeing. With parking our car, if in the city they charge extra for that, it just looks like sightseeing for a day is going to cost us a fortune. I can get a friends and family rate at a Fairfield Woodbridge, NJ and it is such a good price, we are considering just driving in the day before and heading to the cruise the next day, without sightseeing NY because I think that it will be too far. If anyone knows the area and can tell me if is is safe, i would appreciate it.

I think this is the one at 82nd (?)street and 4th Avenue....Bay ridge Brooklyn where Saturday night fever was set. Perfectly safe area. I have driven by the hotel....and its a bed...

Thank you all so much for the hotel advice. We looked into hotels and have decided that we will most likely just stay at a Fairfield Inn in Woodbridge, NJ. We get a F + F rate there and given the high cost of hotels in the city, we just don't think that its worth it to spend so much just for a night. This way we'll relax the day before and perhaps shop at the mall and have dinner, then have breakfast and head out in the morning towards the terminal. Thanks again for the help and advice.

Archived