Mayan Ruins at Tulum (Ultramar)

southbayer

Tulum is on the mainland across from the island of Cozumel. To answer your question, YES it can get very hot at the site. The good thing is that since Tulum is one of the few large Mayan sites located on the coast, you can take advantage of the sea breeze. There is also a path leading down to a small beach where you can cool off. Much of your tour will be spent getting to and from Tulum by tender & bus which should have a/c.

Thanks for the answers peeps... I'm not the type who likes to bake in the sun... I'm now kinda leaning against this tour, although i'd like to see it. Its a 7 hour tour, what 1 hour to and from, that leaves 6 hours of frying in the sun.:eek:

Thanks for the answers peeps... I'm not the type who likes to bake in the sun... I'm now kinda leaning against this tour, although i'd like to see it. Its a 7 hour tour, what 1 hour to and from, that leaves 6 hours of frying in the sun.:eek:

I went in June and don't remember the Sun, I remember all the butterflies, the beach, the history, the beauty.

I think that we would like to visit for about 1-2 hours and spend some time shopping. We really liked Coz the last time we were there as they had some nicely priced silver and great t shirts with original designs. Any recommendations for a 4 hour tour incl. travel?

• 3 weeks later...

We have just been there on 23 March 2007 and it was so rushed as the Conquest did not tie up in Cozumel until well after 9:00 am and the disembarkation war a disaster with more than 3450 passengers onboard. We were only on the ferry taking us to Costa Maya at 10:00 am. When we finally got on the bus the guide told us we would only have 5 hours for the 7 hour tour.....so we were really rushed!!! Still it was an experience I wouldn't want to miss but don't forget to drink plenty of liquids and you should be fine.

As to the shade - right there isn't very much - consider taking a small umbrella to provide your own shade.

Hi=we will be on the Legend in 2 weeks & have signed for the Tulum excursion. I take it that we do have time to go onto the beach for a short time-is there a place to change? Thanks for any info.

Hi,

I have a week cruise booked on the Legend in December. I have read the BB, but nothing speaks to what I want to know. After your return, will you email me with your impressions? I would really appreciate your input and by then I will have some questions, I am sure!

Thank you very much.

janepondatprodigydotnet

No there is not a place to change so wear you bathing clothes underneath - it will also save you time.

By the way during our visit there were lots of poeple in the water but it was very rough and had some hefty current. If swimming is on your plans you might perfer a beach break altogether. Good ideas for lots of fun are things like Xec Hel or Xacarat for example.

There are rest rooms at the entrance (some distance away) but I wouldn't want to get into too much detail there....

We chose an excursion that was supposed to go to Tulum and then to Xel-Ha

water park.

We knew going in that it involved some walking as it had the little symbol with the little man and a cane walking up hill beside it, so we thought we were prepared. I am 57 and my husband is a very fit 70 year old. My son, who was once marine, and his wife are used to walking and standing long times at their jobs.

WE LEFT THE BOAT AT 8 AM AND FINALLY GOT TO TULUM AT 11 AM. We were one the first ones off the boat after waiting in line for 15 to 20 minutes. We headed out to the dock where we were loaded into a ferry where we traveled 4o minutes to Mexico. There we were herded off and walked to another line where we waited another 10 or 15 minutes. Then this little Mexican man named Mario showed up with his little flag and said FOLLOW ME! We followed Mario into the town and down one street and up a steep hill and around another street and down another street and across the street and down a street and around a street and across the street..It was about 85 in the shade and we were moving at a rather brisk pace on concrete uneven pavers around the town..My husband who ran up the Mario asked him if we were going to walk all the way to the ruins or what the heck was happening? Mario said no...we were headed to the buses!

After about 30 minutes of this trek we reached the buses. We were herded on board and sat there for about 10 minutes trying to catch our breaths. The bus finally started and headed out the parking lot. Then we were called back by the radio, and told that we still had someone to wait for..so we backed up and sat some more...four people got on and found out there were no seats available for them. One of them had to sit on the stairs of the bus and the other took Mario's seat. Finally off we headed...Drove about a half hour and stopped at rest area for 15 minutes and took off again. Made it to the ruins at 11 o'clock...Three hours after leaving the boat! I was just beginning to realize that those three hours were the easy part...Mario took his little flag and said FOLLOW ME! We headed out after him...To say the walk to Tulum was long and hot would do it an injustice! Picture the Baton death march or similar walks. Unreal!!! The heat was intense that several people could not make it all the way and were stopping under tiny shade areas to rest or turn back. It was HOT HOT and a very long walk..We finally made it and left Mario and his flag behind and went to explore the ruins ourselves...Then we headed back to the gift shop which was at the beginning of the long walk...My husband and I honestly didn't think we were going to make it.. I have never been that hot and tired at one time..And the best thing was we were paying for this! We finally make it to the beginning after stopping and resting and trying to breath several time...I would NEVER, NEVER have taken this if I had been informed that we had to do this walk in such heat. We shopped for a while and got semi cooled off and found the bus..We then went to Xel-Ha Park

water park. That was at least not a mile walk to the swimming area. So going back to the bus..It wasn't there...Yes, that right..It wasn't there...we all assembled around one lone shady area to keep from sun stroke. Finally at the time we were supposed to be on the bus it showed up..We herded on off we went again, back to the town, where we were taken off the bus and once again had to walk several blocks through the town to get to the ferry area. Our guide took us up to the front of the line and got into an argument with the ferry man about where we were supposed to wait..Guess the ferry was late or something like that..So he said goodbye and disappeared leaving us stand in a group in the sun. After about 15 minutes we were herded to the ferry and taken back to the Star....What a wonderful day! NOT!

We did the Tulum Excersion in Oct of last year. It was wounderful. What I need help with is that my DH got a necklace (cartuche). Our tour guide was Manuel with Ultra Tours. If any body has him or gets this necklace. We need their email to contact them. Our email is mbolchoz1@bellsouth.net part of the necklace broke & we need to get it replaced

thanks Cheri

I'm planning on going on the Tulum/Xel Ha excursion with Royal Caribbean on my Enchantment of the Seas cruise in May. We're pretty young (23) so I don't think we'll have much of a problem with the walking. I think the gorgeous views, and the history will make up for the long trip there and back. Post about how the trip was if you decide to take it. Have fun!

Tulum is one of those 1000 places everyone should visit -It is a long day, but well worth the experience and the history! Tulum is the only Mayan seashore settlement. The Beach is wonderful too!

:confused: Is the walking with the Tulum tour as bad as Elmtree says??? Barb

Tulum is beautiful, but it is a very long day from a cruise ship. You would be better off to fly to Cancun and rent a car to drive to Tulum.

From Cancun you could also drive to Chichen which is fabulous.

From Merida you can see Xelha and/or Chichen as well.

Read Incidents of Travel in the Yucatan by John Lloyd Stevens .

Archived