Birth certificate/married women?

lsulli5

This may sound like a weird question...My husband and I are sailing on the Spirit on 4/1 and don't have passports.(this is our first cruise) We do have birth certificates, but what happens with married women and the fact that the birth certificate and drivers license have different last names (maiden and married)? Do we need any other document? :confused:

thanks in advance

When I applied for my passport I brought my marriage certificate since my birth certificate had my maiden name and my license my married name. They told me I didn't need the marriage certificate because my drivers license would not have been issued in my married name had I not provided the marriage certificate at that time.

Happy Cruising!

If you were told, by NCL, that you only needed a birth certificate and a goverment issued photo ID you should be fine.

The birth certificate, with a raised seal, will have you full maiden name and birth date, your licence will have your birth date.

On the passport app you give your full name as it will appear on the passport and the birth certificate you supply will have your maiden name.

Double check with NCL on the documents you need, if you feel better with the marriage certificate you can bring it.

I've never had to use my marriage certificate. I have heard of cases in which newly married where the ID hadn't been changed yet required the marriage certificate, but I've racked up over a dozen cruises and never once been asked or notified it was something needed. My newly married daughter and her husband just sailed with us, they were married in Dec. and we just returned a week ago. Her license had been changed so marriage certificate wasn't necessary.

Bring a copy of the marriage certificate because women have been asked to prove their name change. It doesn't matter that most women aren't asked for it; it doesn't matter if NCL says you don't need it. NCL isn't going to be the one letting you into other countries (or back into the US). It says very specifically on the US Immigrations website that you might be required to prove any name change. Period. If you don't have it and you're the one woman they say needs it, then all our advice "not to worry" isn't going to help you much.

It's one piece of paper that you may or may not need. So, be safe and bring it.

beachchick

We were on the Dawn in November. It was a last minute booking and my passport had expired. I took my birth certificate and my marriage certificate (if that's what it is called) and my drivers license.

When checking in, the woman really wasn't rude, but her reaction to my marriage certificate was kind of, "What do you want me to do with this?"

For our last few cruises my kids have had friends and they almost never ask for the minor letter either. In both cases, I would rather be safe than sorry.

We just got back from the Sun and I brought bc and marriage license and they never asked for my marriage license. But you never know if you get someone that will. I would bring mine again just to be on the safe side. Have fun on your cruise.

This thread is on point to what my wife and I are going through :)

Her passport is expired and she needed to mail the marriage license to have her name changed.

We booked a cruise on 3/25 - so we called the town we were married in to get another certified marriage license. Took just 2 days to receive!

Archived