NCLA - Pride of Aloha Go or No Go?

dr6462

My wife and I are veterans of a number of cruises on NCL, Carnival, RCCL and Celebrity. We are considering an eleven day cruise on the Pride of Aloha, but have seen many negative posts which give us pause.

One review complained of 2.5 hour dinners. I've been on many ships where dinner takes 2.5 hours. They also complained about missing the shows. I too missed shows when on the late sitting. Then there was the statement that no mint was left on the pillow at night. Let me tell you when you go to bed and forget about the mint it sure makes a mess when you sleep on it all night! Although my wife was quite amused with the chocolate smears all over my face in the morning!

The food was another area of complaint. I think the overall quality of food has declined from 20 yrs ago when we first began cruising. Assuming our recent experiences on Carnival are typical of the cruise industry overall.

On thing we try to do is set the stage for a good cruise. We assume all people have a bad day now and then and don't let one crew members lack of curtisy ruin or trip. When we board we bring along a small gift of candy and other goodies for the room steward. Some cruise mates call it a bribe, we call it showing our appreciation before hand for all their hard work. Most room stewards are very appreciative of the thought.

So to my question, has the service on the Pride of Aloha improved? Is this a cruise you would recommend? Please give me your recent experiences both good and bad if you've sailed on the POA.

There are a number of new reviews in the review section of the cruise critic. There are also two reviews on the Hawaii port of call section. One is good and one is bad. I think I have much of the same philosophy as you do. When I read the reviews I try to figure out whether the complaints are something that would ruin my cruise.

Just back from the 3/4 - 3/11 sailing. I've been on many cruises and the service we received on the Pride of Aloha was as good or even better than the service on all the other cruises we had been on. All of the staff were pleasant and courteous.

I kind of felt the same way--the negative reviews had me a little worried. But since, I've read a few more reviews on other sites (some not even travel sites, but I've just happened to run into recent PofAl cruisers!) and most of the latter ones have been very positive...

But with the caveat that they ALL went in expecting a different experience.

My mom is a travel agent and has sailed any cruise line you can think of...she did her first Hawaii NCLA cruise last year...she and her entire group of 50-some odd passengers came back happy. And she said the same thing most of the reviews have said--the Pride ships are DIFFERENT than what you traditionally get on a cruise, BUT, different does not equal bad.

Her words to me, "You'll love it. Promise."

And I'm biased with her being my mom and all, but she's usually dead-on with a lot of her travel suggestions :)

I've done Pride of Hawaii and Pride of America, loved them both.

We are planning Pride of Aloha next, 10 day.

Note there are two very different 11 day itineraries offered on this ship.

One goes to Kiribati (fanning), one doesn't.

Fanning: 4 open ocean sea days, 1 kauai 2 maui 2 hawaii 1 fanning (does not do Na Pali)

non-fanning: 1 scenic sea day past molokai & Na Pali coast, 2 kauai 3 maui 1 oahu 2 hawaii

I'd much prefer the latter one

Well as I read here somewhere on the boards.

I'm going to see Hawaii and this for us is the best and most cost efficent way to see so many Islands. One post I read here was treat it as your floating hotel and dining all in one.

Just have fun and remember the most important thing your in Hawaii to see the Islands.

We're sailing May 20th Pride of Aloha

Marcy

I've both said and seen this comment that I'm going to make before.

We were on the Pride of Aloha back in July 2005. We always treat staff and fellow cruisers with the courtesy we would like to receive.

You sound like us, and if you treat the American crew with politeness, a friendly attitude and a smile then you will get the same back. We were wowed by the friendliness and willingness to please (even if mistakes were made). They are not perhaps as polished or as well up in the "bowing and scraping" type of service that you get on other ships with an International crew

I believe that a mainly International crew will respond with (overexaggerated?) courtesy even in the face of extreme provocation whereas an American worker may be less polite if they are being yelled at by someone

I think you guys will be just fine and will have a ball. Hawaii is wonderful

Every person will walk off of a cruise with their own opinion. It is my belief that you will get out of your cruise, what you put into it. I just came back from the Pride of America. I, too, had read many, many negative reviews before going. I am happy to say that I have NO regrets for going. It was wonderful. I enjoyed the ship, as well as the many different tours and excursions that I did. Don't pass up this vacation because of what other people say. NCL offers a unique itinerary that no other line can give you. Relax, enjoy, and enter with a positive attitude. :)

Archived