7/24 Caribbean - Our first cruise

jeffkirsh

Jeff,

Great great review. Sounds like everything was great! I have to put one of those balcony dinners on my to do list next time we can cruise on a Princess ship that has this feature.

I think keeping that balcony a secret was awesome. I certainly could not have kept it a secret. kudos!!

Your wife has got herself a keeper. :)

Would you mind if I put your review on my website to make the women envious and the guys nervous??

HollyW,

The formal nights you listed are correct with Italian being the Monday theme.

That's if you are doing the Eastern itinerary.

All that info and then some can be found on my website. :)

Bill

This from the guy who has already been on two cruises this year, has two more planned for this year, and 3 for next year. The feeling's mutual buddy :)

Tom-n-Jules, we're from Bloomington. It's in central Illinois. Where is Sandwich located?

If Chris wasn't so @$#%& helpful, you'd HAVE to hate him looking at that cruise line-up!!!! :D

I went to school at ISU, class of '86. Sandwich is about 75 miles straight north of you, just off I-39. In the middle of all the cornfields!!

Thanks for all the terrific info in your write-ups!! :D

Thanks for the replies Jeff and Bill regarding Monday night's theme. I am on the Western intinary, so I don't know if it will be Italian night or not. Hopefully it is- since I would prefer the Sterling Steakhouse to Italian night.

Jeff

Thanks for the great review. I will be honeymooning next year and just reading how romantic your trip turned out to be made my temperature rise.

I do have a question about the Rasul. On one CC review I read where the treatment lasted for 30 minutes on the Princess where other cruise lines last for 1 hour. However, you mentioned the steam portion being about 30 minutes... how long would you say the entire RASUL experience lasted? The thermal beds sound like a nice and relaxing way to end the treatment.

Robin

Maybe I'm extra hormonal today, but your review actually had me teared up! Your emotions sure did carry through your posts. I'm so glad when I hear of someone's first cruise living up to their expectations. Some people are so jaded that nothing impresses them. What a shame for them!

Another thing you mentioned brings up a good point (no flames here, please). It sounds like, although you have two children that I'm sure you love and adore, it was healthy for your relationship for your wife and you to have some special "couple" time away from the kids. So many people think they have to schlep their kids everywhere, but how romantic your week sounds. I venture to guess it would have been a totally different experience with the little ones in tow. Of course, in due time, I'm sure they'll get their chance to cruise too! We waited until our kids were teens, but if we had the money when they were younger, I probably wouldn't have waited quite that long.

One other thing...did you know that the Marriott Marina has a free shuttle over to the ship? You wouldn't have had to walk if you signed up for it. But the way it sounds, I don't think it bothered you a bit. Sounds like at that point you were floating over to the port on clouds!!!

Again, thank you for stirring up some great memories of our first cruise. Some are better than others, but nothing is quite like the first one.

jeff - great review; we are also staying at the Mariott Marina (17th avenue) and i also thought it was just across from the Port. but when i called again they said it was 10 minutes away by car and that you could NOT see the ships from the hotel. by your review it seemed you walked to the hotel and you saw the ship from your hotel.

Mary

There are two Marriott's in Fort Luaderdale, one on the 17th street causeway (The Marriot Marina) and one on the beach, (Marriott Harbour Beach). The Marina is on the 17th street causeway directly across the street from where the Princess docks. The Harbour Beach is about 10 minutes away on Fort Lauderdale Beach and is the more expensive of the two. Hope this helps.

mary

Robin, the Rasul treatment only refers to the steam room and mud. 30 minutes almost seemed a bit short, but I can't imagine being in there for an hour. You then have unlimited access for the rest of the day to the other spa facilities (thermal beds, public steam & sauna, etc). The thermal beds were a perfect conclusion. We were going to leave, but decided to stay and relax a while, and I'm glad we did.

Great Review, I Can Relate To The Idea Of Going On A Ship With Good Crew Members. Our Last, On The Rhapsody Of The Seas 09/03, Had A Great Captain And Cruise Director As Well. I Would Sail With Them Anywhere. Good Crew Will Always Take It To The Next Level.

Jerseygirl, I agree with you 100%. It was great having some time alone, even though we did miss the kids quite a bit. It took me a couple days to stop whipping my head around every time I heard a child say 'daddy'. We would love to take our kids on a cruise, but not on Princess. I didn't really check out the children's facilities, but it seems more like a babysitting area. A Disney cruise sounds like it would be a blast with the kids, with Disney's great children's facilities and activities. But I'm not complaining about Princess' kids facilities. If I want some time alone with my wife, I'll sail on Princess. If I'm looking for more of a family cruising experience, I'd look at a more family oriented line like Disney, given my children's younger ages.

Archived