Any Belize snorkel tours that DON'T include Shark Ray Alley?

Paddy77

We want to do some snorkeling in Belize but have already booked a tour to Stingray City in Grand Cayman, so we really don't want to do another Ray tour.

We have heard amazing things about the Marine Preserve, Blue Hole, etc. and would much rather visit sites of this nature, and not spend valuable time on a similiar experience. Can anyone recommend a tour that doesn't visit SRA, or an operator that will customize a tour. We will have 4 people and will be in port from 8 am to 5 pm.

I've looked at many operators recommended on the board but all seem to feature a stop at SRA.

TIA

Although I haven't been there YET (FIVE DAYS and counting!), I'm researching myself and came across these links if you haven't come across them already: http://www.travelbelize.org for contact info on independents and http://www.belizeforum.com (particularly the posts on the one day trip) if you want a more detailed recommendation from local/repeat visitors.

I'm curious to know which sites in Belize are best- I know we need to go out to a caye, but which one.... probably all beautiful in their own way!

One thought I'll pass along which I have seen mentioned more than once is consideration of cruise ship arranged snorkle tours@ Belize City, since they usually tender straight to the caye rather than tendering to port and then back out again- less travel time wasted! Just a thought!

Thaks for the suggestions. I have looked at travelbelize but not belizeforums. I found one company so far (FAB Tours) that does not stop at Shark Ray Alley, but their tour is a little drab. They only visit one snorkel location, and then go to Bannister Island (we kind of want to go to Caulker Caye from what we have read and heard.) for the beach break. Also, FAB is a bit high compared to others, although they leave from the tender pier which is convenient.

Right now we're leaning towards Star Tours. They visit 3 sites (one is SRA but 2 out of 3 isn't bad) and brak at Caulker Caye. They pick up and drop off at the tender pier, and their prices are very reasonable.

Tendering isn't THAT big a deal to us, and I rarely enjoy cruise tours as much as I do just doing our own thing, but thanks for the suggestion. We've been to Belize before and I seem to remember the tendering goes pretty smoothly.

Have fun...wish we were leaving in 5 days. We go in a few weeks!:D

If you have been snorkling at more than one site in Belize, which would you recommend as the prettiest and least crowded? I haven't signed up for a tour yet because I was trying to figure out which one to go to. Definately do NOT want to end up on parked at a dirty beach with snorkle equipment to study sand with a herd of screaming kids--that has happened---X- DH researched and selected the cheapest outfit he could find once. totally s****ed. duh. }P

We've been to Belize before but this is our first time snorkeling there. I was only trying to avoid Shark Ray Alley because we're doing Stingray City in Grand Cayman. From what I've read you can't really go wrong in Belize for snorkeling.

I did read one post that said they visited one site with few fish and mostly dead coral, but it was close to one of the Cayes and not w/ one of the reputable tour cos.

Like I said before, we picked Star for the convenience and 3 sites...and they have been well spoken of on the boards. YMMV!

Hope you have fun....good luck!

:) Hello. We will be in Belize on May 3rd on the Carnival Valor and just booked with Star Tours. After much research into several different companies, I feel confident that this one will give us the most personal and varied snorkeling tour out there. I've read so many reviews, my head hurts, and most rave about Star Tours.

Read a very recent review here on the boards from envirolawyer. They just got back and used Star Tours, and HIGHLY reccommend them.

Ramon, the owner was very good at getting back to me, provding answers to all of my questions. I did find out, however, that you do use the Water Taxi, they don't pick you up personally. Ramon is also an owner of the water taxi, and when you pay for your snorkeling tour online with them, they reserve your spot on the water taxi there and back.

Hope this helps.

Archived