Baby on Board

sophie706

Our daughter will be 18 months old at the time of our crusie and I just had a few questions for any experienced parents.

How do I fill up her bottles? Do I order the milk? am I charged extra? Has anyone actually brought a couple of gallons of milk aboard in a cooler? We have a fridge in our room so storing the milk would not be a problem.

I read that babies cannot go in the pool unless they are potty trained - so no swimming diapers. Is this true?

I was told to bring my own pac-n-play because the ones on the ship are pretty beat up and that at times it's difficult to get a high chair. Anyone have any experience with these items?

Also, I read that we may be able to check in a case of bottled water. Has anyone done this?

We're traveling on the Dawn in May and I would greatly appreciate any input or advice .

Our daughter will be 18 months old at the time of our crusie and I just had a few questions for any experienced parents.

How do I fill up her bottles? Do I order the milk? am I charged extra? Has anyone actually brought a couple of gallons of milk aboard in a cooler? We have a fridge in our room so storing the milk would not be a problem.

I read that babies cannot go in the pool unless they are potty trained - so no swimming diapers. Is this true?

I was told to bring my own pac-n-play because the ones on the ship are pretty beat up and that at times it's difficult to get a high chair. Anyone have any experience with these items?

Also, I read that we may be able to check in a case of bottled water. Has anyone done this?

We're traveling on the Dawn in May and I would greatly appreciate any input or advice .

You may want to check out the family cruising board.

I will answer what I can.

Milk available 7x24 from room service no charge. Also available in the Garden Cafe

Pool - not trained not allowed - bring a small inflatable pool

You can bring a case but recent reports say you will need to carry it on yourself. The water onboard is as good as bottled water. Distilled sea water.

The pools are for potty trained kids only. Although I did see a few kids on the Pearl in the pool with swimmies on. I don't have a huge problem with this, as we actually did a crash course on potty training with our 3yo son. Also, this wasn't posted anywhere prominent, and I never saw anyone enforce it. On the other hand, it does increase the potential for any kind of sickness...

In regards to the milk, if you require any special milk (lowfat), I would bring it, as we were only able to get whole milk and skim milk on the ship, as we do like to give our son 1%. Your best best would be to grab a few containers in the buffet.

Good luck!

I was on the Dawn last June. My brother in law and his wife brought their then six month old on the cruise. The year before my other sister-in-law brought her one year old on the Star.

How do I fill up her bottles? Do I order the milk? am I charged extra?

Like Shoreguy said, milk is free in the dining rooms, Blue Lagoon, Room service and the restaurants. If you are dining in a restaurant, just ask for a "carry out cup" of milk to take back to your room. (or two...) During the meals, they will gladly bring you milk for the baby. (you will find the serving and maitre'd's all hanging around the baby!) When you need milk just go to the Blue Lagoon on Deck 7 or the Buffet on Deck 12 and fill up your container to take back to your room. (Blue Lagoon is a 24/7 operation.)

I read that babies cannot go in the pool unless they are potty trained - so no swimming diapers. Is this true?.

This is a law and NCL cannot over ride it. No non-potty trained children in any of the pools or hot tubs, even in swim diapers. The risk of contamination is too great. On the Dawn last year and Star the year before, they were VERY strict about that rule. If you had a baby and even got close to the pool, they were quickly there to remind you that it is a no no.

I was told to bring my own pac-n-play because the ones on the ship are pretty beat up and that at times it's difficult to get a high chair. Anyone have any experience with these items?.

Both of our family members who took their babies used NCL cribs and neither had a problem with them. They seemed ok to me.

Never had a problem getting a high chair in the restaurants for the babies on either cruise. Always seemed to be plenty. Couldn't find one one time in the buffet, but we just ask a crew member and one promptly appeared.

Yes, you are allowed to bring your own bottled water on board the ship. Latest reports however are saying that they are asking that you carry the case of water on board yourself and not run it through with your checked luggage like many people have done in the past.

I just wanted to thank you all for your answers and suggestions. I've found them very helpful and appreciate the time you all took to respond.

I'm also surprised at how much I've learned just by reading previous posts in the family section. I could have answered all my questions before posting if I had just read through it first.

thanks again

We have cruised with my daughter twice already and this May will be her 3rd cruise at 19 months old. I use the water machine on deck to fill her bottles, its filtered. Milk you can get on lido deck or from room service. We bring along a small portable cooler and have the room steward keep it continuously iced for the milk if there is no fridge. I also bring along her fave gerber snacks and little graduate meals for in port. They will provide portable cribs if you request it, we just brought sheets for it and a travel pack of sanitizing wipes. Both times our cribs/pnp's were in decent shape. We didnt bring a highchair on the 1st cruise and it was kind of difficult to get one. On the second we brought her portable highchair and it worked great. I would just put it in the stroller basket and wheel it up on deck. The dining rooms always had a highchair but not up on deck in the buffets. We brought a small blow-up pool for her to use on deck, just ask a bartender for a bucket used to ice beer and fill it up with pool water. I have never had a problem finding a place for it and have even had other toddlers join us since their pools are off-limits. I have a packing list if you would like me to e-mail it to you.

Julie

I hope you have a wonderful cruise. We went on the Star - sister ship to the Dawn and had a wonderful time.

Cruising with a little one takes a lot of planning but it's worth it. One thing our grandkids loved was the little boxes of cereal they have at the buffet in the morning. My daughter always took a couple boxes and carried them in her purse. That way she could offer the kids something even in the dinning room while we were waiting to order.

Archived