Miami Tent City mess yesterday

maui34

I just got off the Jewel yesteday. I always have either been off the ship early, or last one off. Yesterday was totally unacceptable. Miami port auth. or who ever is in charge should be fired.

Stepped off the Jewel at 9:15 (They didn't start letting off until 8:30) I was in no hurry as my flight was not until 12:20. Others pointed where the line formed to catch a taxi to MIA. Had to be 300+ waiting. Got to the back of line and by 9:30 it was 500+ people. Traffic was so jammed up at this far end of the pier with pass cars dropping and picking up, as well as bus traffic, everyone was at a stand still and did not move. Again, no police or anyone directing traffic.

Finally a nice lady from a travel group wandered near us and had room for a few of us on her bus. All the taxi's saw the congestion and would not dare go near the Jewel and Victory, so they would cut through and head to the RCCL ships and the Pearl near the front of the pier. Finally got off the pier and to the airport at 11:45. I will think twice before sailing out of Miami again.:mad:

Miami is building two larger terminals for the larger number of super mega ships. While the construction is a mess now, in another year it will be better. This is just another sign of the cruise line industry, too many large ships serving too few ports. If Miami in the United States can not handle the load, how can these small island nations and ports handle the load?

Miami is building two larger terminals for the larger number of super mega ships. While the construction is a mess now, in another year it will be better. This is just another sign of the cruise line industry, too many large ships serving too few ports. If Miami in the United States can not handle the load, how can these small island nations and ports handle the load?

I haven't checked or memorized the schedule, buy how many NCL ships will be sailing out of Miami next winter? I think it's more than the two now. When will the new larger terminals be completed?

While I'm guessing it's about money, why will there be so many NCL ships in Miami next year?

Now you know why so many prefer sailing from New York, Charleston, New Orleans, and Houston. Anywhere besides Miami.

I believe NCL made a mistake when they reposition the Sun to Miami this fall to join the Dawn, Jewel and Pearl. They should have sent the Sun to Houston, and kept two ships in New York. The only reason Houston is delaying finishing it's new Bayport Cruise Terminal is because no one has leased it yet.

I understand why the Dawn is repositioning to Miami for shorter, less stressful runs to the Caribbean. Many New Yorkers are tired and bored with her. The same can be said for Californians being tired and bored with the Star. Instead of sending the brand new ships to Miami first, they should reposition the older Star and Dawn there. Therefore, I think keeping the Pearl on the West Coast and sending the Star to Miami, and sending the Jewel to New York and sending the Dawn to Miami would help avoided the engine problems both these ships have faced lately.

When we arrived on the Pearl a few weeks past, we were the last ship in port that day, a little after 9:30 and there were 8 ships in port on that Sunday morning, yes lines everywhere. The airport was just as bad at FLL.:)

I also came off the Jewel yesterday morning. Instead of waiting for our color code - it was going to cut it a little close for the plane, we went down to the gangway about 8:45. The crowd to get off the ship was huge, so it had to be 9:15 or so before we got our bags and got out to the taxi stand. There were some drivers asking where we were going, so we went with one of them - at first I thought he was a free lancer or something, but he was just a regular taxi driver, kind of back in the line. We got out fairly smoothly. But they really are fairly unorganized, being that they do this every week. You would think there would be a better system. Actually, if there are only 2 people, the buses from the boat that cost $15 each may actually be okay - the rate to MIA was $25 + $2 for the bridge, + tip. Same thing.

Archived