My father wants to see Tulum but..

teachnh

My father is bringing his 3 kids, myself included, on the Imagination in May. He really wants to see Tulum but he had a heart attack a few years ago and isn't as mobile. He can walk but had nerve damage in his legs do to the surgery. I noticed on the Carnival excursion it says "This excursion is not recommended for wheelchair guests or those with walking difficulties. Operational shuttles from the bus stop to the ruins’ entrance are available for a fee of $1.50". What are these operational shuttles they are talking about? He just wants to go see the ruin even if he can't climb it. Will this be possible for him?

Thanks!

The "operational shuttles" are a little difficult to describe - sort of like an open-air tram thingy. They run between the highway and the actual entrance to the ruins. Your fare is return to always save your ticket.

The shuttle is well-worth it on a hot day even though the ride is short.

Walking difficulties at the ruins - it really depends on how able your father is at walking on somewhat uneven ground. It is definitely NOT suitable for a wheelchair but someone with a cane could get around. There are no significant climbs or anything like that BUT seats are at a premium. I have two bad knees and a bad hip. I sat on large rocks and the steps of one of the buildings. If you go, make sure he takes seating breaks anywhere he can. I even asked a couple of teenagers to get off some steps so I could sit. (BTW, they were very sweet about it and actually apologized for not immediately jumping up when I hobbled over. Very nice kids.) The actual area of the ruins is not large - so if your father can walk a bit, he may be able to do this. Be very careful to bring plenty of water and wear hats. The sun is brutal.

Walking difficulties at the ruins - it really depends on how able your father is at walking on somewhat uneven ground. It is definitely NOT suitable for a wheelchair but someone with a cane could get around. There are no significant climbs or anything like that BUT seats are at a premium. I have two bad knees and a bad hip. I sat on large rocks and the steps of one of the buildings. If you go, make sure he takes seating breaks anywhere he can. I even asked a couple of teenagers to get off some steps so I could sit. (BTW, they were very sweet about it and actually apologized for not immediately jumping up when I hobbled over. Very nice kids.) The actual area of the ruins is not large - so if your father can walk a bit, he may be able to do this. Be very careful to bring plenty of water and wear hats. The sun is brutal

Thanks Zeno! Do you mind me asking if you did your tour through the cruise line or if you booked your own?

Thanks Zeno! Do you mind me asking if you did your tour through the cruise line or if you booked your own?

The two times I have been to Tulum, I was actually on a week long vacation in the Mayan Riviera. Both times we just walked out of our resort to the highway, flagged down a Collectivo and asked to be let off at the turnoff for Tulum. Then we took the tram to the ruins site(about a 5 minute ride). (The tram ticket booth is right beside the shopping area and fairly obvious, as are the 'trams'.)

In your father's case, I would recommend taking some sort of tour (just easier with real mobility difficulties).

zeno- do you speak spanish, or did the colectivo driver spoke english.

Our group of five women are taking the colectivos to the ruins in April.

None of us speaks any spanish though.:eek:

zeno- do you speak spanish, or did the colectivo driver spoke english.

Our group of five women are taking the colectivos to the ruins in April.

None of us speaks any spanish though.:eek:

I do speak some Spanish but all the Collectivo drivers that I have encountered spoke at least a little English. You only need to know about 4 things in Spanish/Spanglish (really bad combination of Spanish and English)

1. Tulum - las ruinas por favor - Tulum - the ruins please

DO NOT go to Tulum, la Ciudad (Tulum, the town) It is the next major stop after the ruins. They are pretty aware if you just say "Tulum" and you are a tourist that you want the ruins.

2. If you are paying for more than one person

Por la una - for one

Por los dos - for two

Por los tres - for three

Por los quatro - for four

Por los cinco - for five

Pay NO More than 20 pesos per person - about $2 U.S. If you overpay they will gladly take it and not give you change. If you ask "how much" some drivers will also say it is more than 20 pesos - it isn't!!! Do not expect (although you may be able to get) change in U.S. $. If for example you only have $5 U.S. - no problem - pay for two people (por dos) and just consider the extra $1 a tip. Or give the driver a $10 (for all 5 of you) (por los cinco).

It is best (but not absolutely necessary) to pay when you leave the Collectivo. Anyway you will need either pesos or EXACT change in $U.S. at the ruins - they definitely did not give change for U.S. $ when I was there. So bring LOTS of small bills if you only have U.S. dollars.

3. On your return - "Playa Del Carmen, por favor"

4. Gracias - Thank You

When you are let off at the highway, you cross the highway. To your right, you will see (almost immediately but not right at the corner) the shopping area and the tram stop, along the road that goes into Tulum. Just follow other tourists who look like they know where they are going.

On your return, stay on the Tulum side of the highway and flag down any Collectivo (they all go to Playa Del Carmen). One of the buses may also stop.

It all sounds complicated but once you have done it, you will realize how very easy it was. The first time I did it I was travelling with a female friend and she and I could not believe how easy it all was.

• 4 weeks later...

I took a tour through the Inspiration in January. We did the combo package of Tulum & Xel-ha. They picked us up from the port and first drove us to a little shopping center for about 20 min. Then we went to Tulum. As said before, the ground is definatly not suitable for a wheel chair but the only climbing you would do is if you wanted to up the stairs and past the "castle," which is where the view of the ocean is. Other than that, you just do a lot of standing and listening to your guide.

Our tour guide was Mayan and spoke fluid english and was VERY knowledgable (sp?). The only thing is since we took the combo package we didnt get a lot of time to walk around :( but it was well worth it with the trip to xel-sha! your dad probably wouldnt get a lot out of xel-ha because its an aquatic park where you can snorkel and do a bunch of different activities.

one more thing. if you want to bring your digital camera to the ruins, thats fine but if you want to bring a video camera you need to pay like $3 because they "upset the gods." hmmm

• 2 weeks later...

No problem! I am glad that you had a good time. I think it is one of the best bargains ever to just do Tulum on your own. As you discovered - it really is pretty easy.

• 1 month later...

i wonder if an electric scooter would work at the ruins, it has been a couple of years since we were there but it seems that the paths were rocky but not that bad. i tried to get my mother to rent one to take on a family cruise we did for the same reason, i thought it would give her the mobility to see and do some things.

Archived