FYI Jellyfish and Sealice

darnapar

I'm guessing that this is the product?

http://www.buysafesea.com/

Looks like you can order directly from the website. I would have no idea where to get it in a non-coastal/non-dive-shop type store.

Also, according to the website, their sunscreen is biodegradable: "While the bottle is made of plastic and NOT biodegradable, the Safe Sea® lotion IS biodegradable and non-toxic for the marine environment (including fish and coral)."

safesea_divers.jpg.9c01b9ff75cf4770156c33f8fb40e35e.jpg

Thanks for the article. After reading that, apparently the only prevention is wearing impermeable water clothing. Since it didn't mention any magic lotions/potions to prevent "sea bathers' eruption" are you saying that Safe Sea doesn't work at all? Or that since people seem to have the most problems with the critters that get trapped inside their swimsuits could you just slather your whole body with the product before dressing to go into the water?

Thanks for the article. After reading that, apparently the only prevention is wearing impermeable water clothing. Since it didn't mention any magic lotions/potions to prevent "sea bathers' eruption" are you saying that Safe Sea doesn't work at all? Or that since people seem to have the most problems with the critters that get trapped inside their swimsuits could you just slather your whole body with the product before dressing to go into the water?

A number of emails have been sent to us concerning information from this thread. Hopefully I can help provide some answers for those who are interested. Yes, Safe Sea does work and you can find some studies here for further reading:

http://www.buysafesea.com/safesea_case_studies.php

Thanks,

Jason

Ok. So if you check out the literature that the Safe Sea folks have on their website, it works like a charm against jellyfish stings.

But upon searching the internet for other sources and way to prevent sea bathers' eruption and jellyfish stings I get answers like:

"Other than staying out of the water, not much can be done to completely avoid the jellyfish's sting if they are present in the water. People have tried various barrier creams to prevent the larvae from getting to the skin but creams do not provide a strong enough barrier to the stingers."

"Vaseline is very good as it forms a protective layer over the skin."

I'm not trying to be critical of anyone, I just want to have the best vacation I can!

I'm not trying to be critical of anyone, I just want to have the best vacation I can!

Hi Ryffian. Safe Sea is relatively new to the consumer scene...and thus has not been picked up broadly by prevention resources. We cannot help that. There are many resources independent of BuySafeSea.com that do list Safe Sea as a viable solution. The U.S. open water Olympic team is currently using Safe Sea during their training sessions off of the East Coast of Florida. We sell to lifeguards, military facilities, competitive swimmers, dermatologists, etc.

I don't know what else to say other than to try it for yourself. The cost per bottle is certainly worth the prevention.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't say yet if SafeSea works but I ordered some the other day for our April 22 cruise - I can say they were responsive and FAST SHIPPING. Wasn't three days and I had my bottles.

I really don't want to snorkel fully clothed in a skin suit so I figured, for 20.00 (2 bottles) I'd give the stuff a try - many others have said it works.

I'll post after the cruise and let you know how we made out.

Yes, Sea safe does work well as my DW is very sensitive to the sea lice and it helps her when we dive. The problem seems to be when the critters get caught inside her wet suit and those areas that don't get covered with lotion very well.

Guess I'll be covering myself in the lotion then. Probably best to put on before we leave the boat in the am... prior to putting on bathing suit. With the recent posts that it works I'm feeling better and better about my 20.00 investment.

THANKS!!!

:D

Here in Grand Cayman, thimble jellyfish made an early appearance. Locally, the "normal" season is mid April through about mid June. Some years are pretty mild, and some years are thick with the stuff.

Fair warning - as the linked article mentioned, these little nasties can work inside your swimsuit! Such an infested suit needs to be washed and, more importantly, dried with some heat to kill off these larvae. You can unintentionally re-expose yourself a day or two later!

Yes. SeaSafe works. It is not 100%, but dramatically reduces stings when used as directed. I think the stings that do make it through are on spots that were not coated or where it got wiped off.

• 1 month later...

Just any fyi - I bought 3 bottles of that stuff for our trip to Cozumel. We just got back. We had booked a snorkel trip with 4 different stops so slathered that stuff on me. Five minutes into the first snorkel stop and I got stung. Nothing drastic, but enough. Then on the next three stops, kept getting continuous stings. Even our dive master/snorkel guide was getting stung - he showed us the red welts. I never did see the jellies I was getting stung with, although some of the others in our group did see bigger ones. Had to constantly been on the lookout for things directly under the surface.

So unfortunately, that sunscreen did nothing for me and I feel that I wasted my money. (Don't want to freak anyone out, the feeling is like a pinprick, but pretty constant - I still enjoyed the snorkeling)

Archived