S&S for kids

imacruzinma

I'd like to give my boys (ages 10 and 13) about $50 to spend on board on their S&S cards. This would be for arcade, gift shop and a few sodas (they don't drink enough soda to justify a soda card).

Is there a way to do this? I realize that I can probably just add them to my account, but how do I set the financial limit for each card? Can it be done?

Different cruiselines allow you to set limits on the cards. But I don't know if Carnival is one of them.

I have seen suggestions to just check the account daily to see how much they are spending.

I don't know...they could do a lot in the time it takes me to check the account. I remember one cruise hearing about some kids (not so young) that racked up over $1000 while treating all their friends to drinks. Not that I wouldn't have rules all worked out...but it seems to me there must be some way to control a minor's spending on the S&S card.

I don't know...they could do a lot in the time it takes me to check the account. I remember one cruise hearing about some kids (not so young) that racked up over $1000 while treating all their friends to drinks. Not that I wouldn't have rules all worked out...but it seems to me there must be some way to control a minor's spending on the S&S card.

That's a good point! I've seen the same type of threads. :eek:

This MIGHT be a question for the Carnival board. Go ask them if they put a spending limit on their child's card. Then please let me know what they say.

I went and searched the Carnival board and again, no two answers are alike.

So people answered that you can NOT give the child a limit, it's either activated (linked to your CC) or deactivated. There is no in between.

Then someone else answered that yes, you can set a limit using cash or a gift card? :confused:

I am more confused now then when I began searching. ;)

Supposedly you can set a limit to the specific card.. just go to the pursars desk and put cash on that card and that is it, do not link it up with your CC...on our last cruise my daughter could not buy anything on her card and actually only used it at the ports...We made sure that they put a restriction though and that there were no charges incurred on her card so if you put cash on that individual card you are fine. Either do that or you could buy the funship dollars and apply those to the specific cards but it's the same thing as putting cash on it.

I went and searched the Carnival board and again, no two answers are alike.

So people answered that you can NOT give the child a limit, it's either activated (linked to your CC) or deactivated. There is no in between.

Then someone else answered that yes, you can set a limit using cash or a gift card? :confused:

I am more confused now then when I began searching. ;)

How frustrating! I can tell you from personal experience that we have set a limit on our DDs' card on Carnival.

Cheers!

Jayne

:)

Archived