Western Caribbean in June - need help with excursions

dorisdvu

I (age 45) am going to take my niece (30), her husband (age 31) and their 2 kids (11 and 8) on a 7 day cruise on RCCL (Mariner) in June. Wetern Caribbean (Ocho Rios, Georgetown, Cozumel and Larabee). This will be their first cruise and my 2nd. I'm trying to decide on some excursions. I am not a beach or water person, so I've eliminated excursions of this type. On my previous cruise (with my 2 sisters and sister in law in 2000) we went to Tulam Mayan Ruins, Turtle Farm, Rum Cake Store and Hell. I would love for the kids to see the ruins, but I think the tour would be too long for them. I think they would like the turtle farm. I don't think they would get much out of Hell and the rum cake store. I thought the Atlantis Submarine would be neat. I know my niece's husband would love to parasail (he's never done this) and I think the kids are too young. Right? We are definitely going to Dunn Falls. What do other families do with kids around these ages do? If they want to do stingray thing or swim with the dolphins, can I just watch?

In Ocho Rios, consider a tour with Trevor Hudlin. He is reliable, reasonably priced and will personalize the tour for you. Just a warning about Dunns River Falls: the climb can be daunting if the flow is strong. We saw a woman break her leg there, and some of the smaller kids really struggled.

In Cozumel, we did a dune buggy tour that was a blast, but it did include snorkeling and some time on the beach. In Grand Cayman, do not let the kids miss the stingrays! We went with Nativeway and it was the highlight of our cruise!! Labadee is all about the beach, so you may want to let the others tender over and you could stay on the ship. A coworker of mine who is an avid cruiser isn't fond of the beach, and that's what he does.

You CAN stay on the boat during the stingray tours. But doing the stingrays depend on the child. My 7 year old said NO WAY and she is usally a VERY adventurous little girl. The water can get high for a shorter child. But many here have done it and loved it.

Parasailing begins at age 12 (I just checked) so that is out for you if the kids are going to be there.

The Atlantis Submarine would be nice but terrible for anyone who gets sea sick. :eek: I know I can never do any kind of tours like that. So check with the other adults before you book it.

I am doing something tame at Grand Caymen, the butterfly tour. I hear it's beautiful there.

• 2 weeks later...

Stingray city in Grand Cayman. Book ahead with Captain Marvins. It's awesome! Life jackets and snorkel gear provided onboard. You'd be surprised how many little ones take to this like fish to water.....no pun intended. Loved it so much, we went back a second time!

• 2 weeks later...

Dittos on the stingray- captain marvins was great- knowledgeable tour staff- they have a videographer go in the water with you- worth the money- my kids then 4 and 7 LOVED it the little one was tentative at first but giggled everytime one swam by- it is shallow enough for older kids(my 7 yr old) to stand chest high in water so they dont get tired- captain marvins boat wasnt as packed as most either- some boats there looked like cattle boats. I was glad we had picked CM. Have fun it is awesome- oh, the second dive where they snorkle with fish was a bit rough the little one stayed on the boat. It was just too choppy. We had a blast dont miss it and dont let the steve erwin thing scare you- they are so tame! It really was a freak thing!

I have not been on a cruise yet, but when I was in Playa del Carmen - which is a quick ferry ride from Cozumel - both of my kids parasailed. My DD was 7 and my DS was 10. My DD went tandem with her grandfather and my DS went with his dad. They both absolutely loved it. I feel that they were very safe. As for me - I was to chicken to go:eek: !!!

Our cruise is planned for July 2007.

I have three children, ages 15, 12 and 8.

In Ocho Rios, we plan to go River Tubing and climb Dunns River Falls.

In Grand Cayman, we booked the Cayman Pirate Encounter and in Cozumel we booked the excursion to Xcaret.

Archived