Turner's Beach or Jolly Beach?

Sailor Gal

We're thinking of spending the day at Turner's or Jolly Beach. Can anyone weigh in on the preferred beach - and also - what is the cost for transportation? We just want to take the day to go to a beautiful beach and relax - maybe get a bite and a drink........... THX

Well-I've never been to Jolly Beach so I can't say whether it would be better or not... but I went to Turner's Beach in Feb. and I wasn't very impressed. It is the only beach on Antigua I've ever been to but I would hope there were better choices.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

we were at darkwood last week turner is the next beach over i can;t imagin it not being as beautiful as darkwood.... i only saw the beaches from that spot and past the cruise ship the other way we hoped on a catermaran to get back , just gaave a sizable tip and the took us on a 1 hr. ride... it was great white sand turquise water... our best island ever...:)

Two weeks ago.

We drove past Darkwood to get to Turner's.

Go to Turner's. A great spot with small restaurant and washrooms. Beach chairs etc. available for rent.

Water was just great.

It's a fair way across the island but this was part of the reason we went. You get to see some of the local stuff and visit a great beach. Roads not great and taxi's (small vans) go pretty fast.

I think it was $8 us a person and we paid after our return to the dock after discussing when payment should be made with driver.

Got a cab via a young lady at the "Dispatch" booth just as you exit the dock. I think that there are some private arrangments with certain cabs and certain dispatch persons as other we spoke to paid more. So heads up.

As for Jolly - a cab cost us $6.00 a person. We picked up a cab at the pier. The cab driver left his card and we called him once we were ready to be picked up. The all inclusive pass included the use of their facilities, beach chair, non motorized water sports, all you can drink and all you can eat. I am planning a land vacation in Antigua and look forward to seeing all of the other beaches.

Can anyone tel me which is better? Both are all-inclusive but it appears Jolly Resort doesn't include all alcoholic beverages, just wine by the glass and some types of vodka.

What are the types of non-motorized activities that Jolly offers for free? Are they readily accessable? I think Pineapple Beach Resort only offers free snorkeling. I would really like some clarification, if possible.

Just got back from the Destiny, May 13th cruise. I did the Lawrence Tour, and he took us at the end to Turners Beach. I was very disappointed. The water was rough, it is on the Atlantic side, try the Caribbean side. Some COWS came walking up and just stood there watching the people. I went into the water and step off, it was over my head. The riptide was terrible. When I tried to get out, it was a real problem!!!!!!!!! The sand is high in places and very hard to climb back on to the beach. I did not like Turner Beach at all. The other people were snorkeling, saw no fish at all... My family went to a beach that was close to SANDALS. They were on the Caribbean side, calm waters, they just took a taxi there. They were going to Jolly Beach, but they heard that the beach at Sandals was alot better. They loved it and had a wonderful day. I could not believe how bad the riptide was at Turners Beach. I was there last Friday, and it might be different when you are there. I could not believe how high the sand was in places. It was hard to climb back up to your things. I would not tell anyone to go there, I was very disappointed. I was really looking forward to a tour and the beach. The beach was terrible in my opinion. I know that the ones that wanted to really have some fun with snorkeling was very disappointed. I hope you will have a great day at the beach. I know everyone has their opinion. The beach was not level like the Caribbean beaches are, it was very high in places, the undertow was terrible---I felt like I was being taken out to sea. I would not go back to Turner Beach ever!!!!!!!!!!! That is my opinion!!! Everyone has one!! I was disappointed because I wanted to really enjoy my day at the beach, cows on the beach, sand so high, and the undertow---not a very good beach day!!!

We vacationed in Antigua in March and did a daypass at Jolly Beach. In a nutshell both Pineapple and Jolly day passes provide: beach, pool, open bar (froo-froo drinks etc), and food. Pineapple is cheaper, in my opinion it is because there are no watersports or waterport instructions. I would say (Pineapple) Long Bay is also better for snorkelling but I am not sure if you must bring your own.

My DD wanted a Windsurfing lesson and DH a sailing lesson and our youngest enjoyed the Kayaks so that is why we chose Jolly Beach.

We had a great day but we also enjoyed the day we spent at Long Bay so it all depends on what you are looking for.

As for Jolly - a cab cost us $6.00 a person. We picked up a cab at the pier. The cab driver left his card and we called him once we were ready to be picked up. The all inclusive pass included the use of their facilities, beach chair, non motorized water sports, all you can drink and all you can eat. I am planning a land vacation in Antigua and look forward to seeing all of the other beaches.

How much was the pass to Jolly Beach.

Thanks

Both beaches sound great. How much are the day passes? Do the other islands on the destiny itinerary also have the option resort daypasses?

Edited to ask: How do you go about getting the resort passes?

• 2 weeks later...

A day pass option 2 was $60 a day per/person. Includes continental breakfast, lunch, snacks, drinks, chairs, umbrellas, watersports (non-motorized). Go to their website (google search) and email them and they'll send you a brochure with all the options. They asked for reservations but you don't pay in advance. It gives them an idea of the number coming.

I'm confused. I assumed you could just take a tax to Darkwood, Turner's or Jolly and enjoy the beach. I didn't know you had to purchase a day pass. $60+ per person just to go to the beach is a little much in my opinion. We just want to take a tax on our own - no day passes. Anyone done this? Thanks so much!

All of the beaches are public in Antigua there is no need to pay $60.00 at Jolly Beach just to walk on the beach and swim in the sea. We bought the day passes so that we could enjoy all that the resort had to offer for the day. If you plan on eating, drinking and renting watersports, chairs, and umbrellas it is a decent price so it really did work for the day that we wanted. We ate a late breakfast there, lunch and an early dinner plus all of our drinks and watersports and lessons for them. Priced individually it would have cost more than what we paid for sure.

If you go to Turner's beach make sure you stop at OJ's for a burger and the view of Monsterat in the late afternoon if time allows. Best burger I have ever had.

Enjoy your day at the beach.

Karysa

Archived