Kodak Easy Share V705

Hello,

Just wanted some opinions if anyone can help. My camera (Fuji Fine Pix F700) stopped working on me recently. I recently ordered a Kodak Easy Share V705. Does anyone have this camera, any complaints, is it a good camera? I've seen a lot of great pictures on the message boards so hopefully someone has experience with this camera and can be helpful.

Thank you.

It is on my very short list to replace my ageing Minolta G500.

It was recently reviewed in depth at Steve's Digcams and they seemed to like it quite a bit.

Look here: http://www.steves-digicams.com/2007_reviews/V705.html

They have a gallery of sample pictures too.

Dave

Dave,

Thanks. I will take a look at the link. It seems like it is a great camera. If you don't mind my asking what else were you looking at getting?

I am looking at the Olympus Stylus 720SW since it can be submerged to 10 feet or dropped from 4 feet without damage. (Great for clumsy casual snorkelers!) It was just replaced in the lineup by the 770SW which can go to 30 feet and is supposed to address some image-quality issues with the 720. My reservation about it is that it uses xD picture card memory and I have 4 GB of SD memory that would be useless.

My current pick-of-the-litter is the Canon SD800IS. To me, it has the best mix of pocketability, features, lens range, image quality and resolution.

The V710 placed second on my short list because of it's excellent lens system, but just barely second. It is hard to find any clunkers amongst the major manufacturers.

I shoot most of my vacation shots with my Maxxum 7D or Minolta A2, but still make a lot of use of my soon-to-be-replaced G500 "dinner camera" (as my wife calls it) as it is also my everyday camera that is with me constantly. Feel free to browse my travel galleries by clicking on the signature links below. Most of the posted images are tagged with what camera they were taken with. You may be surprised how well a point-and-shoot stands up to a DSLR for web-sized images. They really have evolved into excellent photographic tools.

Whatever you end up with, TAKE PICTURES AND HAVE FUN!

Dave

Dave,

Thank you so much for getting back to me. You seem way more experienced than I am when it comes to cameras. This will be my second digital camera, so so far I'm a little more than a point and shoot kind of girl, but I'm not an advanced photographer as yet, lol.

Everybody starts somewhere! I've been doing photography for 40 or so years and started with a Brownie Hawkeye...it was sort of a Point & Pray camera, so don't be ashamed of Point & Shoot. If you take a picture with a P&S because you don't have X years experience and a degree, you will still get a picture! To top that off, with a camera like the one you are getting, it will probably be a pretty darn good picture at that!

Here's my big tip for beginners: Look at other people's pictures. Lots of them. Decide what style you like. When you're somewhere photogenic, look at the world around you and try to see the parts of it that match that style.

Next biggest: Compose and shoot a scene several different ways. Play with the exposure (+/- on the control pad of you camera) to brighten or darken the scane and pick the one you like best. Pros have done it this way forever using roll after roll of client-supplied film. Sports Illustrated pros routinely shoot as many as 10,000 - 15,000 frames between them at a Super Bowl and only 30 or so get into the article. Now, with digital, film and developing costs aren't an issue and the rest of us can play too!

I have written a couple of beginner-friendly articles on the basics of digital photography (with more to come). They cover the questions I am asked the most while out takin photos. Since I usually have a camera hanging around my neck wherever we travel, people seem to think I'd be the one to ask! :D

If you're interested, take a look at www.pptphoto.com .

Happy Shooting!

Dave

I've looked at your pictures, they are beautiful. Funny thing is I think some people just have a natural talent. My 6 year old daughter takes better pictures than my husband, lol.

I will definitely take a look at your articles. You are absolutely right, thanks for the advice.

Archived