Help! Acne Attack right before cruising!!!

ams mom

We are leaving this weekend for our cruise, and I just had major break outs on my chin. I'm sure it is stress related to some extent and PMS. Anyone have any tricks to make it go away quicker??

Thanks!

A quick fix to get the outbreak to dry up is putting toothpaste on the bumps. It helps to dry them and makes them easier to camouflage. If you're at home during the day, put it on in the morning and wander around the house with it. If you work during the day, put it on your bumps for the night. Good luck and have a wonderful cruise!

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

My sister went for a facial and she was cleared up in 3 days maybe you might want to try that it might be the best bet! I have very dry skin and usually get one or two when I am stressed or PMS on my chin area...it sucks I know so I am not good with this but thought I would add what my sister did because it did help her a lot!

Yeah..facials are best, but if you can't I have a couple of different things I do:

1) run a corner of a facecloth under hot water then press to the pimple (don't burn yourself). I do this till cool several times in a row a couple of times a day. The steam helps open the pores and draw out the 'stuff'.

2) you may now see it form into a whitehead..try to not pop it. But if you're anything like me, you just HAVE to. Just be careful and don't jab your fingernails into the skin..you'll cut yourself. Use a kleenex to pad your fingers.

3) after the steaming (and subsequent popping if done) I use this stuff called Tend Skin. It's like pure acid and is meant to be used after shaving to prevent ingrown hairs (works fabby for that btw..I don't shave without it). My estitician would kill me if she knew this, but I use a little on pimples. Dries them practically overnight. I use a q-tip and apply ONLY to the pimple as it IS acid and can burn skin. Also, just dab it on and don't press down till it stops stinging..this will also burn skin. Don't ask me how I know that.

4) should the pimple, at any time, become a cut..which it will after popping and getting the 'stuff' out...,becomes scabby or bleeding, use Neosporin. Apply as often as possible...I've started the neosporin on a giant red bleedy bump on a Saturday morning and by Saturday night it stopped and was easily covered with makeup. Swelling went down too.

As you can see it annoys me to no end when I get a pimple (hello?? I'm 39..it's time for them to not be there!), and war must be waged upon them.

And Karen, I meant to tell you too! And the OP may find this helpful too!

Ah, but my newest find...

the aspirin mask, and it kicks butt AND take names!

So many acne facial products on the market contain salisylic acid, in small amounts. Supposed to be beneficial and treating and preventing breakouts. Hey, what's even better? Grind up a couple of uncoated aspirin and mix it with a bit of water or facial cleanser, an existing mask you already have, slather it on your face and let it sit for 20 minutes or so. What does aspirin do? It takes away pain and reduces swelling. And it takes away the swelling on a pimple too. I have used this a few times a week for about a month now, and am absolutely totally amazed at how well my skin looks. It did get a bit worse before it got better though, and now I am having blemishes just along my jawline, probably from the phone being up against it. And even that is improving.

I found this by accident at makeupalley dot com. It is very grainy unless you blend a bottle of aspiring in a blender, then wait for the dust to settle before you use about 1/2 a teaspoon of it. If you mix it with just water, you'll find that it flakes, with moisutizer or cleanser it doesn't. There are a hundred raving reviews about this at makeupalley, and there are several negative ones, worried about the toxicity of that many aspirin on your face at one time, what if you are allergic to ASA, it made their face worse. You might want to read a bit there about it. But I am thrilled about it, I can't believe the clarity and most of all, the texture! I have some mild pitting on my cheeks, and it has improved dramatically. It wasn't really deep or bad, and wasn't super noticeable to others, but I knew it was there.

Wish I had known about this years ago...

I'm sure everyone has seen the TV commercials, and it TRULY works, I mean overnight !! I wish they had this product when I was a teenager. My daughter suffers with terrible acne, and since she tried this product her skin has improved 100%. Good luck to you and happy cruising !!

My daughter (who is 27 years old) has problem skin. She had facials from high end spas, bought and used their products, tried products from dermatologist and just had no luck Out of desparation, and what else did she have to loose, she ordered the Proactiv line on TV. Her skin improved so fast it was unbelieveable.

After using it for a few months now, her skin is truly beautiful. I dont know what is in that stuff, but it sure worked for her.

I have used Proavtiv for almost a year now and keep kicking myself for not having tried it 10 years ago! Well at the time there's no way I could have afforded it, and then when I could, I was too afraid I would bleach bedding, pajamas and towels, which I have terribly. So now I pretty much sleep in hubbys white tshirt, I have a set of well bleached and stained pillowcases that go on my pillows only, and a few towels that have been badly Proactived too. But it is wonderful stuff and I am so happy that I finally tried it. After having zero acne as a teen, hitting 20-21 and then having it happen full blown really sucked. Now at 33 I am finally at a point where my breakouts are semi acceptable and my skin looks good. My makeup skills at covering need a bit of work, but whatever. My personality more than makes up for my facial appearance!

Wow!!! What an amazing tip Farmerlaine I will definitely pass it on to DD and it certainly makes common sense because ASA is one of the main ingredients in a lot of acne medications. She continues to use the Proactiv and is finding some good results with it but still like you has the occasional "chin issues". She decided that the Levulan ALA treatment was just too extreme but may opt for the phototherapy alone for some of the discolouration.

I'm sure life style issues have a major impact on it (said in a motherly voice!) but it difficult to impress early to bed needs on a 23-yr old! Anyways thanks for the info. Karen.:)

Archived