How good is security onboard?

Having read a few comments I was wondering how good security is on board the cruise lines? Do they employ their own people or do they hire from established companies with a proven history in public security? What kind of training do security personnel have and how often do they put it into action? It seems from the few stories I have read that they seem to take a hands off approach from dealing with incidents and prefer to do the "lets talk it through" type situation etc.

I realise that you cannot have a police state type situation on board ship but why should everybody suffer for the sake of a few idiots. How often do the cruise lines remove people from on board and refuse to let them back on? A lot of questions I know but in this day and age where we have to be more aware of our own personal security than ever before, it seems that from the articles I have read people are spending a lot of money with the cruise lines but not necessarily getting the protection they deserve and their holidays are being ruined.

I am sure that I am like a few people here who have come to book their first cruise later in their life [i am 39] and who are on that borderline age group that still remembers courtesy, respect for others and their possessions yet at the same time we are dismayed at the way the world has changed in the last 15 years or so.

I dont think I am being naive as I work in law enforcement and see how things are changing. The cruise lines still try to hark back to another age while keeping up with modern times yet has their security protection kept up with the times? If I am spending a good few thousand dollars on a cruise I want to be assured that if anything happens it will be dealt with quickly, effectively and fairly without putting other people in danger.

Am I wrong?

Cheers

Archived