Has anyone been to some Ancient Ruins in Mexio?

crazycruzer68

I have been wanting to go to some ruins and I would like too know if there worth my time!!! Please reply!

Definitely. We have done Tulum and Chacchoben. Both are worth the time to see. Tulum is especially beautiful because it is on the ocean. Here are some pictures to whet your appetite.

Chacchoben2.jpg.61968f8bf41e7c4ed4a27798e778e3a0.jpg

Tulum.jpg.47330b8bdfd001a7654f7486ed225d34.jpg

Depends on what you like and enjoy really.

We have been to the same one's that Chasetf has been to and agree that they are well worth it to us. Tulum is much more open and cultivated than Chacchoben is, plus it is on the ocean and you can go to the beach. Chacchoben was a bit more impressive to me, but that may be because it is still so wild and overgrown having only been opened to the public a few years ago.

Tulum is on a timetable though, in the last 15 years it has lost about 10 feet of space behind the main temple/altar. If it continues to be battered by storms before they figure out how to shore it up one of it's greatest features may be lost to mother nature.

Someone said you could do Tulum on your own and save quite a bit of $$. We will have a total of 11 people and I think a bunch will want to go to Tulum. Any hints on how to make sure we all get there and back ok?

We visited the Chacchoben ruins while we were in Costa Maya a couple of years ago. I can't recommend it enough! We've been on 3 cruises and it was the best excursion we've been on yet. It's about an hour's drive inland and the bus ride gives you a great opportunity to see how people in the area live and to see the scenery. If you have any interest in history then visiting the ruins is a great choice.

Someone said you could do Tulum on your own and save quite a bit of $$. We will have a total of 11 people and I think a bunch will want to go to Tulum. Any hints on how to make sure we all get there and back ok?

For Chacchoben I would recommend David & Ivan with The Native Choice, but for Tulum I would go it alone or get one of the on site guides.

If you dock at Calica rent jeeps from Enterprise right there at the port, there were $70 when we were there last fall. Drive out of the port, over the bridge and take a left on to 307 south. Stay on 307 until you reach the entrance to Tulum on your left.

After you park there is a whole bunch of shopping and food right there, as well as a place to rent a guide for the tour. Before you go in you will have to visit the money changer, they have one on site, because while all the shops take USD the park only accepts pesos (about $3-4USD worth). Try and make time to watch the pole dancers at the shopping area, they are interesting to see.

I have been to Tulum and Dizbilchaltun (sp?) which is just out of Merida. Both were great and so worth it. Tulum is so beautiful sitting on a cliff off of the ocean that is so blue you will be amazed. The other place was fun too. We were allowed to swim in a cenote ( a fresh water spring) and it was so refreshing because it was so hot and muggy. I would totally do both again given the chance.

Looking forward to seeing Chitzan Icha (sp?) and others.

I've been to Chichen Itza and Uxmal. Both are excellent examples of the Mayan culture dating back to the 5th century. Uxmal is my favorite. Very impressive and pretty and less crowded. Personally, I really like the untouristed or less touristed areas of Mexico. After two portcalls while cruising Celebrity, I've been back for three two week vacations to Merida and visited quite a bit of the out-country areas of the Yucatan. The people are great.

Sorry, but it seems like kind of a silly question. I mean, what do you think your time is worth? And how are we supposed to judge that? Are you interested in archaeology, Mesoamerican history, art, or just vaguely interested in scenic ruins in general? There's a wealth of information online, so why not check it out and judge for yourself?

That having been said, the most impressive ruins in Mexico - Palenque, Teotihuacan, Chichen Itza, Uxmal, Monte Alban - aren't easily accessible from cruise ports. The two most often visited by cruisers are nice but kinda minor league. Chacchoben is medium-sized, with so-so pyramids, and was great to visit partly because of the much-praised David and Ivan's Tour; if you're interested in pre-Columbian history, it will be more worthwhile than if you're not. Tulum is notable mostly because of its exquisite location. Otherwise, it's a small place easily swamped by tour groups.

And to the poster who snarkily said that all Mexico was a ruin...I wish you a vacation in the South Bronx while I'm enjoying myself in gorgeous Guanajuato...

We have been to Tulum and as posted above it's location on a cliff overlooking the ocean is beautiful. It was raining when we were there. The guides said that in a way we were lucky because if the sun had been out the temp would have been over 100 degrees. A lunch was packed by the ship guided by Mexican regulations. It was a tuna sandwich, muffin... Now get this - funny - If we did not care for the packed lunch there was a SUBWAY restaurant at the ruins. I kid you not! Beautiful Mayan ruins and a SUBWAY.

LOL

If you are really interested in ancient ruins, it is worth it; if you'd prefer a beach day, skip it.

There is a beach at Tulum, but it was really small. Not a place you'd spend an afternoon (but you could take a dip if you were really hot).

We were there in February (I think it was 04) and it was really, really hot. Went because DH was dying to go. My kids were not into it at all and would have much preferred anything else.

It was a long ride from the port. We did it through a ship excursion because we were afraid of not getting back in time. If we had been more experienced, we might have done it on our own.

I love Coba, it is about a hour south and west from Tulum. I have hired a taxi for the day and went to both in the past. In Coba you actually get to climb the biggest ruin and they are still unearthing a lot of the ruins. Bring good shoes and plenty of water.

We went to Tulum in Nov. We did it through a ship excursion and it is a good thing we did. We were very late getting back since the drive is so long, but the ship had to wait for us. I have pictures in the link in my sig.

Hmmm was it worth it? Can't say that we thought it was worth the price. Of course we had 3 kids with us too who were not at all interested. Maybe if it is was just DH and I we would have felt differently. I'm glad we seen it, but still dont think it justified the price.

Back in 2001 my kids were 16 & 18! They went with Myself and my DH to TUlum bcause we were paying!!:rolleyes: They were not thrilled to go. The bus ride there they were very quiet. It is was and still is THE best tour they have ever took. They say they learned alot and they enjoyed the beach. We're going back in JUne when my DD is getting married onboard!:D

Sorry, but it seems like kind of a silly question. I mean, what do you think your time is worth? And how are we supposed to judge that? Are you interested in archaeology, Mesoamerican history, art, or just vaguely interested in scenic ruins in general? There's a wealth of information online, so why not check it out and judge for yourself?

That having been said, the most impressive ruins in Mexico - Palenque, Teotihuacan, Chichen Itza, Uxmal, Monte Alban - aren't easily accessible from cruise ports. The two most often visited by cruisers are nice but kinda minor league. Chacchoben is medium-sized, with so-so pyramids, and was great to visit partly because of the much-praised David and Ivan's Tour; if you're interested in pre-Columbian history, it will be more worthwhile than if you're not. Tulum is notable mostly because of its exquisite location. Otherwise, it's a small place easily swamped by tour groups.

And to the poster who snarkily said that all Mexico was a ruin...I wish you a vacation in the South Bronx while I'm enjoying myself in gorgeous Guanajuato...

I am the said "poster",

Mexico looks like it does because the people there allow it to get that way and don't care. And as for the south Bronx (I worked there for years ).............. No one says it's a vacation destination like they try to promote Mexico. And I would'nt pay thousands to visit the South Bronx.

I may be wrong in characterizing the entire country snce I haven't been to all of it but, Tijuana,Ensendada, Puerto Nuevo, Matzelan,Puerto Vallarta and lastly Cabo (though Cabo has alot of natural bueaty that the Mexicans have little control over) are toilets

We saw the Tulum ruins on a recent Disney cruise and loved it. Being right by the ocean was great too - the kids even got to swim there, so plan on having suits on / along - although there was no place to change as I recall, so the kids wore their suits as shorts.

I've reserved an a/c van with bi-lingual driver from AGI Tours several times when visiting the Yucatan. They are licensed, bonded, and insured, and have carried our group from 4 people up to 14 people. They will pick up at the pier or other arranged spot and take you to Tulum and deliver you back to the ship. While at the site, be sure to spring for one of the guides to take your group on a tour of Tulum. It was well worth the money and we came away with such a wonderful experience instead of wandering around on our own.

We went to Tulum almost exactly a year ago. I would recomend it if you're into the archaeology or just plain beautiful sights. One dissapointment I had was that you can't climb up any of the ruins or even touch them. It did get very hot too. Thank goodness for the air conditioned Subway that sells beer a short walk away!!!

Also, as part of this excursion they included a 2 or 3 hour stop at nearby Xel-ha, which is a lagoon-inlet type of feature which is very, very beautiful and refreshing. There are resraurants, bars, shops, and lockers available with snorkelling, tubing, and a Dolphin encounter. This was a very welcome stop after hot and dry Tulum.

I love Coba, it is about a hour south and west from Tulum. I have hired a taxi for the day and went to both in the past. In Coba you actually get to climb the biggest ruin and they are still unearthing a lot of the ruins. Bring good shoes and plenty of water.

Whoops, I forgot Coba. Yeah, really cool place, great atmosphere...

Archived