Before CruiseCritic

derf5585

Before CC, we got cruising info from friends and family that liked to cruise. Some of it was accurate, some was useful, but most was not helpful at all!

It's really incredible how the little details can add up to help us have the best vacation experience. :)

:rolleyes: On my first cruise, I was totally taken by a local TA. $$$$$

After that, I've always gotten brochures and talked with folks who have been on a particular cruise I'm interested in, talked w/TAs (this time knowing what I want and not talking into something else), and booked with a little more knowledge.

However, I have learned SO MUCH MORE since being here, and saved a few bucks, to boot! :) Thx CC!

I too paid full brochure rate for my first cruise. After that one I discovered the travel boards on AOL, which had (and still have) a lot of good information, although I prefer the Cruise Critic Boards over them. Finding a GOOD TA (after the first one) also helped!

Terri

My first cruise was a group cruise organized by my SIL, who was at that time, a TA.

My second cruise was booked by my husband who is not a good shopper. He didn't pay full price, but he could have done a lot better.

My last cruise was booked by Moi and it was the best deal ever. I am a certified shop/deal-a-holic and made out very well with the price thanks to this board

So, the bottom line is BCC, we were paying too much.

My first cruise was with a church group, but after that I basically did a lot of research (brochures and calls) with TA's and the cruise lines.

Now, I would never sail without the benefits of CC. My only regret is that I didn't find this board sooner. My list of cruises taken would probably be doubled or even tripled.;)

I first started cruising when the modern cruise industry was first going mainstream, NCL had the Sunward II (and a few other ships), Carnival had the Carnivale and another ship. Back then you just relied on the brochures, TA's and any other cruisers you could find. I would periodicaly check with TA for fares etc, and while on a cruise talk to other people on what lines they had been on. I still remember my first 7 day cruise and the price I paid. $600 for a quad on a senior class cruise.

We just walked in a travel agents office and booked the Tropicale, I am sure at brochure price. Had a medical emergency and ended up canceling. (Thank goodness!!)

Years and another spouse later we signed up for a work related group cruise and I found CC while doing research for that cruise. Again, thank goodness!!! :p

I too paid full brochure price for my first cruise. My TA smiled all the way. When I arrived on the ship I was seated with a couple from Michigan who said they paid one price for their cruise and got into a suite...... and I looked at them like "huh??" ....... of course now later I know that it's called a guarantee. Luckily I don't live in that town anymore or I probably would have socked that TA in the nose for taking me for a ride. I am so thankful for CC so I don't have to take my TA's word for everything.

In the early '90s the only regular exchange of information for most topics were Newsgroups. They are still around. However, they are unmoderated, full of spam, misinformation and mischief. It is very tedious to wade through it all for an occasional piece of information. That said, my dad (a long time cruiser) found useful tips and occasionally a price break for cruises discussed on the cruise newsgroups.

Before newsgroups and widespread public Internet access, there were proprietary systems for subscribers like Compuserve, Prodigy and Delphi. They had special interest forums including cruises. However, the number of active users was limited and other resources like photos, company websites and search engines were not available like they are now.

Today we have lots of forums and sites about cruises and thousands of active users everyday.

We've come a long way.

Archived