NEED HELP!!!! Cruising on the Legend of the Seas 12/12/04 through the Panama Canal

My wife and I have cruised before but not on RCCL. We would like some advise on the Legend, any suggestions, what to do or not to do, what to pack, any creative tips, etc.? Also any advise on tours in Cabo San Lucas; Acapulco; Huatulco, Mexico; Puntarenas, Costa Rica;Cristobal Pier Panama; and Oranjestad, Aruba. What to see or not to see?? It is my expierence that the ship tours are pricey and I would like to arrange my own off ship, any suggestions??? What should we expect or not expect????

As you can see, any and all suggestions or comments would be helpful and appreciated!!!

Thanks

Dennis

• 2 months later...

Hello,

My husband and I are sailing on Legend of the Seas in February and would really appreciate any suggestions...with shore excursions, hotel stay the evening before the cruise and packing for 14 days...and anything else that would be helpful. Any information would really be appreciated!!!!

Thanks.

Judy

Dennis46 - My husband & I have done one Panama Canal cruise but only onboard the Radiance of the Seas. In fact we will be doing the same cruise you are doing on April 2005 onboard the Radiance of the Seas. In Acapulco be sure to see the cliff divers. In Costa Rica all the shore excursions are at least an hour away by buss from where the ship docks, so you might want to consider a ship sponsored shore excursion. Aruba has plenty of shopping and other things that are close to the pier, within a short walk. Cabo San Lucas also has some nice shopping but you have to tender to the pier, but it's not too far. This is a great 2 week cruise and alot of fun.

As for hotels we are also arriving a day early and staying at the Holiday Inn across the street from the Bayside Market in Miami. The hotel is 5 minutes from the pier. In fact you can see the ships from Bayside.

As for packing, just remember the ship has laundry service and you will most likely have more formal nights than on a normal 7 day cruise.

If we think of anything else we will let you know.

Enjoy your cruise.

I can help with Cabo. Our plan was to just go with the wind and see where we landed. That wasn't the best idea for Cabo. If I had to do it again, I'd plan a bit more. I would start with a water taxi ride to the beach (bypass street vendors and timeshare con-men) relax and have some lunch, the Office was very good. I would then water taxi or even walk back to the shopping district (you could walk this okay) and do some shopping and maybe stop by one of the tourist traps such as Sammy Hagar's Cabo Wabo for a drink, then back toward the ship. We ended walked to the beach, water taxid back to the ship, then walked back to the shopping area and back to the ship again. These are all decent distances from each other and it was a long, hot walk on all accounts. By not having a plan, it being so hot, and all the damn vendors, I really wasn't in a good mood by the time we got back to the ship. All I really wanted was to find some of the almond tequila that my boss had brought back from Cabo last year. I never did find any. The beach and restaurant was fine, but other than that, it pretty much sucked! Again, my fault for not having planned anything.

When arrived at the port about 10:30 for our Mexican Riviera cruise on 9/26. This was the first cruise where we had to wait outside for when they started processing passengers. After about a ½ hour the started processing and the processing itself went pretty quick. We were on board by 12:00 and having lunch in the Windjammer Café (buffet) by 12:30.

Make sure that you are ready for a boat full of kids. We spent last Christmas on the Legend in Hawaii and loved it. We have a 13 year old son that asked if we could to Christmas again on a ship. The ship was very nice and they go out of their way to make a great Christmas for everyone. We have been on the canal cruise from LA to San Juan about 5 years ago NCL and have been on many Mexican Riv trips. Cabo is a tourist trap during the day. It is a really fun place to party at night but we wont be their at night. The mexican ports are all pretty much the same. We will probably just relax on the ship during the mexico ports. Costa Rica is very nice. They have many trips on the agenda and most of them are pretty much up to you on what you like to do. The city of San Jose is a very nice tour.

Time is passing fast for departure. This will be a great cruise. The crew and ship were really nice last year. The food is OK and that is about it. What a nice way to enjoy the hollidays.

Tom Mary and Miles Las Vegas

My wife and I have cruised before but not on RCCL. We would like some advise on the Legend, any suggestions, what to do or not to do, what to pack, any creative tips, etc.? Also any advise on tours in Cabo San Lucas; Acapulco; Huatulco, Mexico; Puntarenas, Costa Rica;Cristobal Pier Panama; and Oranjestad, Aruba. What to see or not to see?? It is my expierence that the ship tours are pricey and I would like to arrange my own off ship, any suggestions??? What should we expect or not expect????

As you can see, any and all suggestions or comments would be helpful and appreciated!!!

Thanks

Dennis

Tom, Mary & Miles,

Thanks for your reply. Do you have a recommendation for tours in Costa Rica besides the San Jose tour? Have you been to any of the rainforest there?

Have you signed up for the Meet and Mingle?

Dennis

For more ideas on what to do in all the ports you are visiting, go to the "Port of Call" message boards here and see what other people are recommending. There are great restaurant recommendations for Aruba for instance, and there is a thread on the Mexican Rivera board that was started by someone who works for the Port Authority of Acapulco. There are locals who post on the Costa Rica board as well, and everyone is very helpful. We are planning to go to the Panama Canal next year, and the big thing I learned is that unless you have been through the canal before, you need to stay on the ship for the best views.

Looking forward to your review, Vicki!

MC

We went to the town of Sarchi in Costa Rica and found some very nice wood items. Sorry about the spelling. We have not been to the rain forrest but have heard from people that it is very nice. In Jan last year we flew from LAX to San Jose and went right to the boat. We were not able to tour Costa Rica that time. It is quite a long ride into the city so whatever you plan, it will probably be the only tour you will be able to do.

How do we sign up for the meet and mingle? I see the boards but can't find our cruise. We are always game for a free drink.

Tom

Thanks for your reply. Do you have a recommendation for tours in Costa Rica besides the San Jose tour? Have you been to any of the rainforest there?

Have you signed up for the Meet and Mingle?

Dennis

There is the Meet and Mingle - the actual party you sign up for on the RCCL website. For that, go to the fist note in the RC Meet and Mingle Board, and Host Laura will direct you. You will need your reservation number.

Then there is the Meet and Mingle thread for your cruise. For that, do a search (upper right above the list of threads) on the same board. Type in the month you are cruising and your ship.

As for a free drink, that may not happen, but there will be free hors d'oeuvres.

Archived