Train from Anchorage to Whittier

Keenacat

I plan on taking the Alaska RR from Anchorage to Whittier to board Sapphire Princess in September. For anyone who has taken this ride, what are the arrangements for baggage? Is there a separate baggage car? Or, does each passenger coach have it's own baggage storage compartment? Is there baggage "check-in" or do you lug your own luggage on board?

Is this the 9:45 - 10am departure from Anchorage and arriving Whittier around 12:15pm?

The ARR takes your bags and watches them until the Princess Truck arrives to pick it up. The next time you see your bags, they will be in stateroom.

There is a baggage car, if you insist on bringing your bags. Then you check the luggage in the Whittier Parking lot at the white bins.

Is this the 9:45 - 10am departure from Anchorage and arriving Whittier around 12:15pm?

The ARR takes your bags and watches them until the Princess Truck arrives to pick it up. The next time you see your bags, they will be in stateroom.

There is a baggage car, if you insist on bringing your bags. Then you check the luggage in the Whittier Parking lot at the white bins.

Thanks for the information.

Yes, that's the train and the scheduled times. Always a leap of faith when you turn your baggage over to some one else with the expectation they'll show up in your cabin. But I've done it before in other places with never a hitch . . . so far!

That was my favorite part of the trip....No luggage hassles...We were with Carnival, but I believe it is the same with Princess...You give them your luggage outside the train station in Anchorage and the luggage fairy drops it off outside your cabin....

Archived