Salvador and/or Recife?

CoconutFish

I have searched, mostly in vain, to find any cruise-related information about either of these ports.

About Salvador: would anyone know if USD are accepted, especially for the Lacerda elevator up to the historic part of the city?

About Recife: I can't even find out where the ship docks.

Any information or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Salvador: USD are not accepted. You can exhange USD for Brazilian Reais in the port. (Exchange rate today: $1 = R$ 2.10) The ship docks about 200 meters from Mercado Modelo an Elevador Lacerda. The elevators cost R$0,05 each way. You can walk to the main historic places, like Church of Sao Francisco (all gold decorated) and the Pelourinho.

Recife: The ship docks in the old district. Go to http://maps.google.com/ and type: recife, brazil. Find: Bacia Portuaria map. The City Center is around Praça Treze de Maio, shown in green in the map.

Wotan758:

Thanks for the excellent link to the map and the information you provided.

Salvador sounds great and very straightforward.

Would you know if you can walk out of the docking area in Recife, or is this a shuttle out of the port? And where would the drop-off area be?

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

Salvador is a very walkable city as the port area is right next to the old town.

Recife is a different animal, however. The old town is, well, "old". For that read dirty, dangerous and in bad need of restauration. The best part of the town is the "Boa Viagem" beach where the hotels and a very large shopping centre are located. Forther down the coast, about 50 miles, there are beautiful unspoilt beaches with cristal clear water and warm temperatures. Simply put, paradise.

Ships excursions in both of these places tend to be weak, as they are ports that are not used much (except on transatlantics). Salvador is becoming a destination, however, on all Brazil cruises from Costa and MSC.

One thing you will find in Brazil is plenty of things to buy. Change money in an international ATM is the best bet.

• 5 weeks later...

We were just in Recife and Salvador with the Rotterdam. In Salvador you can walk to the elevator that takes you up to the old town, but you do need Reals. There isn't much to see except the beautiful church of Sao Francisco and just walking the old cobblestone streets and some cute shops.

In Recife the port area does not look safe to walk around in. The Rotterdam provided a shuttle into town to a new shopping mall where we did internet but no shopping in the expensive stores. We took the ship tour to Casa Cultura, an old jail converted to handicraft shops, then to the interesting old Dutch city of Olinda, about 15 minutes up the hills from Recife. The tour also stopped at the beach area for a coconut drink and great photos. We thought the tour was worthwhile because Recife is very spread out.

The Rotterdam provided a shuttle into town to a new shopping mall where we did internet but no shopping in the expensive stores.

Amazing how perspectives can be different. Coming from Europe, where everything is so expensive, we find the prices in Brazil cheap !! Maybe we should be visiting the USA.

Mines, I do beg your pardon; I was thinking you were the orignial poster which was:

CoconutFish,

So I'll ask you the same thing about the Insignia. I hope you're still reading this thread.

So Mimes,

Are you looking at the Insignia leaving Barcelona for Rio (and making these port stops)? It's quite interesting and we're looking too.:)

So Mimes,

Are you looking at the Insignia leaving Barcelona for Rio (and making these port stops)? It's quite interesting and we're looking too.:)

We are booked on the Splendour of the Seas. However, the itinerary is similar to Insignia. I am going to do more research over the next few months on local tour operators etc. Particuarly in Recife, a tour to a beach within 50 miles is more interesting (at least for me) than staying in Recife. The town is run down (apart from the Shopping and Boa Viagem Beach front) and there is not enough to see to fill up a day.

Mines,

We have cruised on the Splendor of the Sea - just a 7 nighter - but enjoyed it very much. I wasn't aware that she did a SA or I would have checked that. When is your trip?

I appreciated the insight about Recife - if you find a good private guide or transfer to that beach, let me know. It sounds good to me!

Mines,

We have cruised on the Splendor of the Sea - just a 7 nighter - but enjoyed it very much. I wasn't aware that she did a SA or I would have checked that. When is your trip?

I appreciated the insight about Recife - if you find a good private guide or transfer to that beach, let me know. It sounds good to me!

We are doing the transatlantic on Splendour of the Seas on 4th December that starts in Lisbon, Portugal, calling at the Canary Islands, Madeira, Cape Verde, Recife, Salvador, Rio de Janeiro and Santos. We are staying on for a back-to back that then goes to Buenos Aires for Christmas.

Seemed too good an itinerary to miss to me, so we booked it as soon as it was announced.

Archived