sting ray tour option question

bethm214

ok, from people that have done one or the other or both......

i am trying to decide whether to book through the cruiseline or another agency for our trip to snorkel with the rays. i have read many posts and looked at many recommended sites...but, it seems to come down to the options of size of boat - how much it rocks, how crowded the boat is, how many stops and courtesy/knowledge/dependability of the captain/crew.

with all those things in mind....tell me your stories...

i believe that what i have seen so far says the ship chartered ones are on big stable boats that are sure to get back on time and get you off the ship first but are crowded.

It seems that the off-ship bookings are slightly less dependable, smaller groups and smaller boats so rougher water but better chance at seeing more rays as smaller groups of people. but, they are also cheaper and many are very well run and very friendly.

We don't want to go to Hell or the Turtle Farm...just to have my 11 year old swim with the rays.

What do you all have to say?

Again, posting it here cause the port boards are dying....

Thanks!

We haven't done it yet, but we booked with Captain Marvin because of the comments of the board members. What we found desirable was that he was highly recommended, the price was less than what the cruiseline offered, and the group would be smaller. Contacting him online was no problem and we received confirmation of our reserved spot very quickly. We are confident that he knows the ropes well enough to see that we get back to the ship in plenty of time since we booked an earlier excursion.

thanks for bumping your thread..i had already read it but read it again. i am wondering if the folks on the smaller boats were unhappy with the rocking and rolling. also, the unanswered question of whether any operator does ONLY SRC instead of other stops. We are looking for a quick trip out to see them, enjoy them, feed them, then get back...not a full day trip. any help anyone?

thanks!

Bethm. The ships excursions are like traveling as a herd. Much more expensive and less personalized.

Going with independents will be on smaller boats rather than a barge like vessel. Stability has never been a problem. The water depth on the sandbar is only about 4 feet deep.

The independents rely on tourism and cruisers. They are very reliable and realize the power of the internet. I've never had any problem with Capt Bryan. My family of six had his power boat to ourselves. Capt Marvin began these tours about 28 yrs ago. Most have been in business many years.

In fact I will be emailing Capt Bryan later today for an Oct reservation.

http://grandcaymancruiseexcursions.com/StingrayCityCaptBryans.htm

Hi Beth! We are going on the same cruise as you, and we have booked a two and a half sting ray tour with Native Way Watersports. They will pick us up when the boat comes in, take us to the stingrays and the coral reef, then either take us back to the dock, or drop us off at 7 mile beach. They also provide punch and water, and all of the snorleing gear. This was $25 for my husband and me, and $20 for each of the kids. In case your interested, they have a website nativway@candw.ky.

Hope this helps!

Kari

I've gone with Captain Marvins twice and I have nothing but good things to say about them. They are a top notch operation. We had a bad incident on our Conquest cruise and they went out of their way to do something really nice for us after the cruise. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.

We did Captain Marvin's two 1/2 or two hour tour. Met at the storefront, got into a van which transported us to their docks, and were on the boats fairly quickly. The two boats were full, probably 20 or so people per boat, water and juice was supplied, and there was a small (if not uncomfortable toilet) on board what I would consider a 32' powerboat.

We did a short stop to snorkel in 10 to 12 feet of water, then off to StingRay City for a stint with the 'Rays'. Had a great time with the Sting Rays.

If you are prone to motion sickness, the larger 'barge type' boat may be better. We had a smaller boat, but we also had a FULL boat, so size of boat to number of people ratio would probably be the same. Your choice...

We noticed a catamaran there that day that looked really nice called the Cockatoo.. I'm leaning toward booking it next April, just for something different. :cool: or maybe the Buccaneer..

Yes, the catamaran is sort of calling my name too. i love them! I think the trip would be as much fun as the rays.

Last time I went to SRC I went by cruise-organized larger barge type boat. It was ok...but I am hoping for something different.

Although we own a power boat here at home, and i have NEVER gotten sea sick on any type of vessel (from a canoe to the SS Norway), I do not think I would like the small power boat crowded with people and a nasty head:( . I think i should avoid the companies that lean that direction. My ideal trip would be one that leaves at about 10am, on a catamaran and only goes to SRC (ok, maybe the coral reef for a quick stop) and then comes back to shore. We want to have a little time on the ship while others are still on land to enjoy the slide and pools with less people around. We are doing beaches on both other port days.

Thanks for the help so far....hope to see more info.

We took the tour with the ship however we seen alot of the other tour companies there everyone looked like they were having fun. We should have went that route to save some money but the Stringray were great! I can't even swim and I had fun in the water.

I've used Captain Marvin for the 2 1/2 hour tour. It was terrific and I would highly recommend him! We were taken to two stops. Stingray City-which was far enough away of the cruise ship tour and the hundreds of people, and the other stop was barrier reef (saw moray eel and nurse shark!). Capt. Marvin had two crew members working and there was only 15 of us. One of the crew was videotaping everything for a tape that you could purchase. If Denisey is still on the boards, she was a CC member that was on the tour. Maybe she can remember more than I!:)

The last time we went to Stingray City it was with Cockatoo Catamaran and we loved it. It's an open catamaran, and smaller than a lot of the boats that go out there. Also it's a sailing catamaran so we had a wonderful time going back and forth. I believe it was about 2 1/2 to 3 hour trip, only going to the stingrays and back.

Terri

Nativeway Watersports did a great job for our stingray tour last fall when we were on the Triumph. They come highly recommended from others on this board as well.

The last time we went to Stingray City it was with Cockatoo Catamaran and we loved it.

Terri

Some search sites are saying this one is booked through some of the Carnival ships. do you remember whether you booked through Carnival or on-line?

Thanks!

Beth, my hubby wanted a ship that was more LUXURY, so we are going for the catamaran, too, and we heard that Buccaneer was terrific. They also offer video taping which was important to us. They have a 50' catamaran, and folks said it was beautiful. That's where we are going.

Mary Ellen

:p

Archived