"Cafes" in Amsterdam

RCIfan0001

Hey, I am going on a HAL cruise to N. Europe and we stop in the city (not ship, lol) Amsterdam. Does anyone know how far away the cannabis cafes are and do you have any recomendations? If any of you have gone, do you know what the age limitation is? My son is 19 and I was wondering if the age for the cafes is 18 or 21. And, since the ship is registered in The Netherlands, do you think I could bring some back onboard? Thanks!

1. Keep in mind that pot is only legal in Amsterdam, not throughout the Netherlands. You haven't experienced horror until you get caught with pot in the Hague.

2. There are throughout Amsterdam pot selling cafes, both in and out of the red light district. They are clearly advertised. Try the Bull Dog on Leins Plein for both good beer and good pot. [How do I know...was in Bull Dog a while ago for a beer and experienced my one and only high from second hand pot smoke.]

3. To bring pot back onto a ship means you have violated an Amsterdam law about exports. I believe pot is not legal in Rotterdam, and in that HAL ships are home ported in Rotterdam, you will be bringing pot from one provence in which it is legal to one in which it is not.

Whether you can or cannot without getting caught,I have no idea. Last time I was on ship in Amsterdam 2 years ago, it seemed you could bring on an elephant if you had one.

4. As the legal age for alcohol, I don't know...so far beyond it never became an issue. I will, however, on your behalf, query a friend in Amsterdam and get back.

Oh I was actually wondering what the legal age for smoking pot is in Amsterdam for my son. I do believe it is 16 for alcohol.

Thank you for the information. I did not relize that it is only legal in Amsterdam--- often people think it is legal all over the country.

It's just that I used to do bad stuff like that when I was in college but now I don't break the law. I though that since we're in Amsterdam, I'll go ahead... for old times sake.

Yeah they sell it in Labadee at the market and there is little security on the ship... it's not like airports.

Here's the answer about age I received back from Amsterdam.

What is the age to buy alcohol in Amsterdam? 16 years, but they are not very strict

What is the age to buy pot in Amsterdam cafes? I think it's 16 too,but there again there is not much control

Archived