tours of Pompeii and Herculaneum??

We will be cruising the eastern med in june. Was wondering if anyone has used the train to get to both of these sites in one day? The cruise does not offer both , any other suggestions? Thanks

Although we have been to both Herclaneum and Pomeii by train, we didn't do it on the same day. It's easily doable though, as it's the same train (Circumvesuviana) I'd do Pompeii first as it's the furthest away (get off at Pompeii Scavi, then turn right and walk 100 yards to the entrance), then do Heculaneum (get off at Ercolano, then walk directly down the hill through the town - you can't miss the site at the bottom) You'll probably need to buy single tickets , or at least a single ticket back from Ercolano as I don't know how long the ticket would be valid after stamping at Pompeii

We did do both sites by train in one port day and it was easy.

We did Pompeii first and then Herculaneum.

We walked off the ship and taking our lives into our feet we crossed the street to the famous little tobacco stand. It looks like a newsstand in NYC.

We asked for tickets to Pompeii Scavi and pointed to the trolley/bus stop in the middle of the street.

We got one ticket that was good for both the trolley and the train for the day.

This ticket worked to get on the train in Naples, also to get on at Ercolano. I'm sure it would have worked for transportation back to the ship but I wanted to walk through the old city and have pizza at Da Michele so we walked back.

Do a search for both Pompeii and Herculaneum. We were planning on getting the Artcard, but since it was not tourist season the TI places close to the ship were closed.

You can buy a combination ticket for both sites at Pompeii (if you can't figure out the artcard deal) and be sure to ask for a map at each site.

We did do both sites by train in one port day and it was easy.

We did Pompeii first and then Herculaneum.

We walked off the ship and taking our lives into our feet we crossed the street to the famous little tobacco stand. It looks like a newsstand in NYC.

We asked for tickets to Pompeii Scavi and pointed to the trolley/bus stop in the middle of the street.

We got one ticket that was good for both the trolley and the train for the day.

This ticket worked to get on the train in Naples, also to get on at Ercolano. I'm sure it would have worked for transportation back to the ship but I wanted to walk through the old city and have pizza at Da Michele so we walked back.

Do a search for both Pompeii and Herculaneum. We were planning on getting the Artcard, but since it was not tourist season the TI places close to the ship were closed.

You can buy a combination ticket for both sites at Pompeii (if you can't figure out the artcard deal) and be sure to ask for a map at each site.

We also did them both in one day--about 4 hours at Pompeii, and 2 at Herculaneum--they provide different perspectives and things to see (much more "stuff" to see in the latter)--they are both very easy to get to by the train and worthwhile visits.

Les

Archived