Spirit in Alasaka Who's Been There Done That

Hogladyrider

Placing a call out to Carnival junkies who have sailed the Spirit in Alaska.

Looking to do 1st cruise to Alaska starting to plan now. Thinking that the 1st cruise will be 7 day round trip from Vancouver Glacier Bay. I know these trips are very limited but we won't have time for land cruise and it would be a "test the waters" for us as we have always driven to ports we leave from.

This would be our 1st time making our own air arrangements. From my research on the boards we'd fly in the day before, make our own transfers between Seattle and Vancouver probably via train or something, we travel with light luggage, one bag for two for the week.

I realize there are other lines that sail directly from Seattle but I am reading a book Cruising Alaska and it is extremely informative and shows the different ship routes and the route leaving from Vancouver appears to be much more scenic than leaving from Seattle.

I know we'll book a balcony room, probably try for an aft cabin. When will the 2009 sailing dates be available as they are not currently on the Carnival web site. Think I could call my PVP and she might be able to answer this one for me.

Curious to hear from those of you who have sailed the Spirit! And of course any other tidbits you can throw at me.

Placing a call out to Carnival junkies who have sailed the Spirit in Alaska.

Looking to do 1st cruise to Alaska starting to plan now. Thinking that the 1st cruise will be 7 day round trip from Vancouver Glacier Bay. I know these trips are very limited but we won't have time for land cruise and it would be a "test the waters" for us as we have always driven to ports we leave from.

This would be our 1st time making our own air arrangements. From my research on the boards we'd fly in the day before, make our own transfers between Seattle and Vancouver probably via train or something, we travel with light luggage, one bag for two for the week.

I realize there are other lines that sail directly from Seattle but I am reading a book Cruising Alaska and it is extremely informative and shows the different ship routes and the route leaving from Vancouver appears to be much more scenic than leaving from Seattle.

I know we'll book a balcony room, probably try for an aft cabin. When will the 2009 sailing dates be available as they are not currently on the Carnival web site. Think I could call my PVP and she might be able to answer this one for me.

Curious to hear from those of you who have sailed the Spirit! And of course any other tidbits you can throw at me.

Have you seen this thread? Its "All things Carnival Spirit/Alaska"

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=336850

I would also suggest going to the Alaska board, all the info about ever facet of you trip can be answered. Lots of great folks on that board that live or visit Alaska on a regular basis.

Have a great cruise.

I did the Spirit in August 2006, had a corner aft balcony, and LOVED it! I did the SB from Whittier, but think either way you do it you will love it. I LOVE the Spirit! I have posted the pictures on this site a few times. If you type a search for 8273 they should come up. I got most of my information off this website on the ALASKA boards. "BudgetQueen" is especially helpful with any questions you may have. I would love to return! For 2009,my best guess is that they won't open bookings until early next year, but your PVP would know better. Happy planning!

We sailed on the Spirit northbound in 2001--it was the Spirit's inaugural season. And, we're doing southbound on her this year, our third sailing on the Spirit. :D The only reason we haven't considered the Vancouver roundtrip is that we loved Sitka, and Sitka's not on the roundtrip itinerary. I'm really looking forward to seeing Sitka this year--we have almost twice as long in port this time as last time. :)

Yes I'd read that post and I subscribe to the Alaska board, but there is much more activitiy on this board, that's why I posted here.

You're correct that this board is more active than the Alaska board, but so little here is related to Alaska. The Alaska board is actually pretty active and you'll find a ton of information there. :)

Have fun planning!

Jayne

Archived