Anyone Ever Have A Problem Taking Their Children Out Of School?

t968

DW is a high school teacher and what disturbs her more than kids missing the classes is the attitude of some kids and parents in regards to make up work and getting work in advance. My advice to you all is to be considerate to the teachers and keep in mind that they are doing YOU a favor. They don't *have* to do much besides let your kid make up homework and tests. So be sure that your kids give their teachers ample notice of their absence and make sure they are vigilant in making up the work quickly and not just putting it off and getting a reprieve at the final hour when Mommy and\or Daddy call to complain. :D Believe me when I say that most high school teachers work enormous amounts of hours if you count all the time grading papers and staying after to allow kids to make up work and tests.

As a high school teacher, I try to discourage my students' parents from removing them before the break as they will miss a lot of work. On the teacher's end, it is not always possible to "create" assignments that coincide with the class (especially in an English class.) If it's a couple of days, I wouldn't worry...but a week is a lot of time to miss. Obviously, it's your call, but I usually tell my parents, that their child will have to make up the work when they get back or take a zero on it.

As a parent, I don't pull my kids out of school for a vacation.

I hope you work out your situation!

I have great respect for teachers and give them credit for all they do. My 2 friends from college are now teachers and I see how hard they work. If my DH was a teacher we would, of course, vacation in summer as his vacation would fall the same time. I wish people could understand that not everyone has summer off. In some cases, it is the busiest time of the year at work.(This is our life and my husband works 14 hour days)I try to look at the total picture, and know that when my DD is at school she works very hard. Missing five days of instruction a year CAN be made up. Janice

To those of you taking cheap shots at private schools who are "only in it for the money": Catholic school teachers get paid about 2/3 of what public school teachers do. They teach at parochial schools because they believe in them! That said, I am a high school senior at an awesome Catholic high school who has been offered over $241,000 in scholarship money from various sources. My junior year, I took a week off of school to go to Moscow and a small town in Siberia to fill out paperwork and meet my adopted little sister. My dad and I had to go that week, as Russia shut down its adoption system a few weeks after my parents made their second trip over there to get my little czarina. My teachers worked with me and let me know what I would have to make up, and I did it. Even if they hadn't, there's no way I would have given up that trip.

Time to vent: we are being told not to take our kids out of school for a cruise or other non-illness event. But last summer, the kids in our school district were given a workbook to complete over the summer. Okay, it was recommended, and not mandatory. But during winter break, my daughter's fourth grade class had two reports and 16 pages in the math workbook to complete. Now she's on spring break, and she has work sheets to do, as well as start a book report and start a few other reports. Plus math to study as they will have a major test next week.

So, we parents are told to leave our kids in school, fine (as long as the parents have flexibility to vacation at anytime). But the kids do need some down time without homework hanging over them on their breaks from school.

Time to vent: we are being told not to take our kids out of school for a cruise or other non-illness event. But last summer' date=' the kids in our school district were given a workbook to complete over the summer. Okay, it was recommended, and not mandatory. But during winter break, my daughter's fourth grade class had two reports and 16 pages in the math workbook to complete. Now she's on spring break, and she has work sheets to do, as well as start a book report and start a few other reports. Plus math to study as they will have a major test next week.

So, we parents are told to leave our kids in school, fine (as long as the parents have flexibility to vacation at anytime). But the kids do need some down time without homework hanging over them on their breaks from school.[/quote']

I agree Pattie, and I feel bad when the kids have vacation projects & reports. But studies have shown that children forget so much of what they have been taught that often the weeks back after a break are not for learning new things but just for review.

And with all the state tests going on lately, the teachers probably need to give more vacation homework than they used to...

Source: The Johns Hopkins University's Center for Summer Learning

The Problem

• All young people experience learning losses when they do not engage in educational activities during the summer. Research shows that students typically score lower on standardized tests at the end of summer vacation than they do on the same tests at the beginning of summer vacation (Cooper, 1996).
  • On average, students lose approximately 2.6 months of grade level equivalency in mathematical computation skills over the summer months. Studies reveal that the greatest areas of summer loss for all students, regardless of socioeconomic status, are in factual or procedural knowledge (Cooper, 1996).

To those of you taking cheap shots at private schools who are "only in it for the money":

No one said that.

What was said is that private schools get their full tuition per student paid up front whether students show up or not. Public schools get paid by the state and their funding is dependent on the number of students and their attendance--and in many states now, their test scores.

My daughter is going to a Catholic HS. Her tuition is the same whether she has perfect attendance or misses several weeks.

. . . with all the state tests going on lately, the teachers probably need to give more vacation homework than they used to...

While I agree that it is important for kids to keep up their academic skills during breaks and vacation, it is the "tests" that are causing SO many problems.

Funding is based upon test results. My DD's class has three separate standardized tests administered by the school district for 'placement and measurement' (thank goodness they are on a trimester system, not a quarterly or they'd have four); they also have a state mandated test in the spring, the federally mandated 'no child left behind' test in the fall, and then the top 20% of her class had to take the 8th-grade version of the ACT (she's in fifth) for placement in advanced classes.

In November, what with the testing, Thanksgiving vacation and specialized classes (art, music, gym, etc.); her fifthgrade teacher determined that those who did not take the ACT averaged .85 hours a weekday and those who had taken the ACT averaged .78 hours a weekday in regular class during that month - she said SHE should have taken the month off!:D

The school admin is SO hung up on test scores that they have come down hard on some of the teachers. The kids test scores are actually quite good - but the administration needs to have IMPROVEMENTS so they are pressuring the teachers to cut back on 'non essential' classroom activities (why 'waste' time with a presentation from zoo personnel bringing some live penguins to the third grade classrooms as part of their Antarctic unit. The zoo does it for free - as an outreach program. The zoo comes to the school. But it was deemed 'frivolous' by the principal!)

I'm a Kindergarten teacher (I know, you're going to tell me that she was posting about a high schooler) and this is one of my biggest pet peeves. In fact, we just finished our third marking period and I called several parents in and sat them down to talk about their child missing too much school.

Here's what it comes down to, to me...an attitude about school. No matter what you believe or what you tell your kids, what they hear when you take them out of school for vacation is "School is what you do when you're not on vacation" Some of them will get behind because of it, and some will not. I don't think that's the point.

When parents tell me they're taking their kids out for vacation, I tell them to go and have a good time. What else can I say? I'm ok with kids missing a day or two for things that have to happen at that time - a wedding, a family reunion, etc. I know that there are things more important than school. But going on vacation is not one of them. You don't have to go on vacation to have quality family time. Pulling your kids out for a week for vacation just because it's cheaper is not something that I can understand or condone.

I actually have parents say to me, "It's just Kindergarten" No matter if it's Kindergarten or high school, it's school and I think that we need to show our kids that we value that - not just tell them.

I thought it set a bad example and besides, with all the tuition I paid for twelve years, I was not going to let my daughter miss a single minute of school unless she was sick.

In fact, my daughter's school warned parents from pre-school on not to take their daughters out of classes for vacations and I agreed with that policy.

We took our girls out of school for a family trip the week after Thanksgiving. One reason, husband can't get away from work from April through October. Second reason, price for family of 4 was MUCH more affordable, like over 1/2 the price! Third reason, crowds would be less.

(One daughter in 6th grade other is a Freshman in HS.)

Sixth grader did fine with her makeup work. Teachers sent lessons home prior to the trip, so most of her work was done on the two weekends before we left. She had a little bit of work to catch up on when we returned, but not bad.

Other daughter, the Freshman, had work coming out her ears! Teachers didn't know what they would be doing while we were gone, so no work to make up ahead of time. All lessons, quizzes and tests were dropped on her upon her return. She was very overwhelmed and it took forever to get her lessons caught up on. She would be up all night doing homework, then have to be to practice by 6AM then up all night again, over and over. I swore off ever taking her out of school again.

The transition from Elementary to Middle School to High School is a big one. We normally did a school time trip every few years. Not anymore. They could handle it in the Elementary and Jr High but High School is another story!

I will be taking my kids out of school for 3 weeks later this year we will be cruising in Europe. Last year we had two holidays without missing school. In 2005 my kids had 5 weeks holiday during school to travel to Europe with me to see family. We are a a family who have our own business and chose to holiday when it fits in with our work schedule. We take the time of year we travel into consideration when booking but if it is out of school time we do not panic. My kids will learn what they learn, a couple of weeks out of school won't cause them much hassle.( my 21 year old son is a teacher in Saigon, he loves the asian life and plans to keep travelling. ) One thing I am sure of is that my kids will have indelable memories of the time we all spent together as a family and the wonderful places we have seen and been and they will have a great awareness of travel.

As Mark Twain, Herman Melville, Emily Bronte, Bill Bryson,Rick Stevens, Marco Polo ( no preferred order) would say : travel broadens the mind.

CruiseKidz

I will be taking my kids out of school for 3 weeks later this year we will be cruising in Europe. Last year we had two holidays without missing school. In 2005 my kids had 5 weeks holiday during school to travel to Europe with me to see family. We are a a family who have our own business and chose to holiday when it fits in with our work schedule. We take the time of year we travel into consideration when booking but if it is out of school time we do not panic. My kids will learn what they learn, a couple of weeks out of school won't cause them much hassle.( my 21 year old son is a teacher in Saigon, he loves the asian life and plans to keep travelling. ) One thing I am sure of is that my kids will have indelable memories of the time we all spent together as a family and the wonderful places we have seen and been and they will have a great awareness of travel.

As Mark Twain, Herman Melville, Emily Bronte, Bill Bryson,Rick Stevens, Marco Polo ( no preferred order) would say : travel broadens the mind.

CruiseKidz

How selfish. Taking all that time off from school because it is convenient for you. No, I'm sure it won't cause your kids much hassle but what about the teachers? They have already reviewed all this with the class and now they have check your kid's make up work... 5 weeks worth.

Why would you say I am selfish, working hard to provide for my family and spending time with them.????

CruiseKidz

Because you are only concerned with what is convenient for you and not considering what extra work and time your children's teachers will have to spend on their missed work. Teachers put in a lot of extra hours outside the classroom time to prepare lesson plans, review homework, grade papers, etc.

I am contributing to a thread which asks anyone ever have a problem taking their kids out of school. Well I don't. I will not get into a debate about the pro's & con's of taking kids out of school. Here in Australia our knicker elastic is not as tightly wound a ssome people in other parts of the globe.

CruiseKidz:rolleyes:

I am contributing to a thread which asks anyone ever have a problem taking their kids out of school. Well I don't. I will not get into a debate about the pro's & con's of taking kids out of school. Here in Australia our knicker elastic is not as tightly wound a ssome people in other parts of the globe.

CruiseKidz:rolleyes:

Oh, guess I hit a nerve... Yes, you are contributing to the thread and no, you don't have a problem but I was answering your question.

How funny... knicker elastic

While I agree taking them out for an extended period could cause extra work for teacher's, they always have the option of not giving advanced work or accepting late work - it is up to the parent what they are willing to accept or sacrifice for this period of time out of school.

I personally will be taking my kids out for 2 days before a holiday. They will not have any major tests coming up at this time, they will miss the Thanksgiving party in school. I will make our excursion educational and will fill out a journal of their trip, so they actually learn while having fun.

Not everyone can plan to take off during their kids school holidays. February to September is DH's busiest times and December to March is my busiest times. That leaves us with October and November good times for us to travel. Which is why we picked our week - they only lose 2 days as opposed to 5 any other week. We planned out our week off very carefully. We are paying more than we would have any other week.

My friend has been trying to get pregnant for 2 years, just found out she's due is November. She is a Middle School Teacher and now will have to miss a few months of school for maternity leave. Is she to be flamed bacause she is taking off? Her students will have to deal with a replacement teacher or substitutes which could affect her students. Are teachers only allowed to have life on school vacations?

Life happens everyday not just on school breaks. Just my opinion. Try to work with the school, but accept if they don not allow your kids to make up the work.

No one said that.

What was said is that private schools get their full tuition per student paid up front whether students show up or not. Public schools get paid by the state and their funding is dependent on the number of students and their attendance--and in many states now, their test scores.

My daughter is going to a Catholic HS. Her tuition is the same whether she has perfect attendance or misses several weeks.

I agree with you. And since I am on the school board and I see how my daughter's teachers get paid and what we have to do to make SURE they get paid, I can assure you that they get paid whether my child is in school or not. Her tuition is not reduced. The school does not have to pay for her missed days. And my tax dollars still go to fund a public school she does not attend.

She will have missed 9 school days to cruise this year. Not one word has been said.

How selfish. Taking all that time off from school because it is convenient for you. No, I'm sure it won't cause your kids much hassle but what about the teachers? They have already reviewed all this with the class and now they have check your kid's make up work... 5 weeks worth.

I agree.

I can have some sympathy with the people who have no possible way of sync-ing vacations from work with school schedules, but to say, "we can vacation whenever we want!" and to schedule a month off at a time mid school year is inexcusable. Give the schools a break and homeschool. Then you can broaden whatever you want on your own.

I am taking my children out in May for one week. We have already let the teachers know, so that they have time to gather travel homework. Our school district allows 10 vacation leave days, as long as a form is submitted to the teacher in advance.

Good luck!

Debbie

we are cruising in november and my kids areoff 3 days so they wont miss much but my boss will not allow me the time off:mad: .....but the cruise is paid for and there over 30 people going,this is a special trip because most of us are turning 40,and my husband and I are celebrating our 20th Anniversary.......I am feeling sick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!litterly sick.....

this is my 1st time asking for off without pay and this is the first time she is not allowing it during the school year.....:eek:

WOW!!! We now live in a society where family time and values are often last on the list. With all the extra-activities kids are encouraged to participate in, homework, after school jobs, little time is left for family. As the mother of 3, I would never listen to a daycare provider in regards to a family vacation, and sorry I would not feel guilty removing my child from Kindergarten for a week. We have quality time everyday in our house, by limiting our activities to one per child, and making dinner a must in our home. However, five missed days from school, and vacation, allows for some undisturbed quality time. My children know the importance of education, from the hours WE spend weekly on homework, preparing for tests, etc. They also understand that learning takes place in many different places. Not everything they learn will be taught in the classroom. Some of lifes most important lessons are taught by the parents, and we are teaching ours, the importance of FAMILY TIME. We are responsible for our children, love our girls, and WANT to spend time with them. Sorry if this disrupts a kindergarten class, or any class for that matter. Janice

Because you are only concerned with what is convenient for you and not considering what extra work and time your children's teachers will have to spend on their missed work. Teachers put in a lot of extra hours outside the classroom time to prepare lesson plans, review homework, grade papers, etc.

In my district teachers work 190 days per calendar year. The average full time employee works 250 allowing for two weeks vacation, so a few hours outside the classroom doesn't seem unreasonable to me. I have several friends who are teachers and they knew they would work more than 7:45 - 2:45 when they took the job.

Archived