Embarking in Montreal

Gunters Oma

DH and I have been discussing whether to spend the morning sightseeing in Montreal and board ship between 1 and 2 or do less sightseeing and board around 11.

Mike posted a link to his trip (what great photos and journal! thanks, Mike) but said the only issue was embarkation. Was this a fluke? or is it a regular issue? Is it better to be late or early?

Any and all opinions and comments will be appreciated. :)

Thanks

Jayne

Our honeymoon was spent in Montreal and although I'm a newbie when it comes to cruising I thought the Montreal boarding staff was disorganized because embarkation was a disorganized mess. This may be because we got there early and they were mobbed by folks wanting early embaration, so it may be OK if you did your tour of Old Port and came in later.

Old Montrel is at the port area. You would enjoy walking throught this area and having lunch prioe to boarding.

Make sure you have CDN$ or use credit or debit card for payment.

Merchants do not give good rates for exchange.

I recommend sightseeing in the morning in Montreal before boarding. If you take a taxi because walking with luggage is a drag, traffic is brutal around the port, so allow a little extra time, especially if more than one ship is docked. Montreal is beautiful and there are many sites in Old Montreal to visit or take the horse-drawn carriage tour.

If you haven't been to Montreal you should spend as much time there, in old Montreal you as you can. The ship docks right there. I wouldn't try to go to other areas because you don't want to get too far from the ship when you don't have time to spere.

I agree with Nui, you should spend the time to sightsee. WE did the Montreal to Boston in 2005 and whent direc tly to the ship. Sorry we missed syuch a beautiful ciyt. By the way our embarkation was a breez. No delays and no hassels. It helps to have all documants filled out ahead of time.:D

Have a great time.

Montreal is a great city. By all means do some sightseeing before you come to the dock. If you can find a way to manage your luggage.....even drop it with the stevedores, then you can enjoy Old Montreal where the ship docks.

You definitely can take a taxi to the dock. Give your luggage to the stevedores. Walk out of the dock and enjoy Old Montreal and return when you are ready to board.

Just don't lose track of the time and be certain to return with time to spare to board before the ship is ready to sail.

As a Canadian, and having been to Montreal - but never cruised from there - I would go for touring the city core as everyone else has suggested and board later in the afternoon.

Old Montreal is a lovely historical part of town which is today filled with shops and restaurants. The last time I was in town the old town was somewhat disappointing as about half of the buildings were empty with "For lease" signs on them. However, I've also been there when its been full and "hopping". Old Montreal is along the docks and in the centre of the city so the modern downtown is also a stone's throw away.

Yes, $US are accepted at most establishments but the exchange is lousy so definitely bring some Canadian cash or use your credit/debit cards. Very few places in Canada don't accept the major cards.

Despite French being the primary language of the province of Quebec, there is a heavy English population in the Montreal area and most establishments will switch to speaking English if you indicate politely that you are English. I never had a big problem in Montreal.

Enjoy your trip. Are you arriving the day of the cruise or overnighting it in Montreal!

David

I really appeciate the advice. We are definitely going to spend as much time as possible in Montreal.

David- we will be flying in the day before - staying at the Springhill Suites on St. Jean Baptiste. Hoping to see as much of Old Montreal as possible and maybe a quick trip to Parc Mont-Real.

If traffic is intense close to the pier -- are we within walking distance (dragging our suitcases behind :eek: )?

Jayne

I really appeciate the advice. We are definitely going to spend as much time as possible in Montreal.

David- we will be flying in the day before - staying at the Springhill Suites on St. Jean Baptiste. Hoping to see as much of Old Montreal as possible and maybe a quick trip to Parc Mont-Real.

If traffic is intense close to the pier -- are we within walking distance (dragging our suitcases behind :eek: )?

Jayne

My recollection is that except for the main street where the pier is located, the streets in that area are cobblestones. That may make for an interesting time trying to lug your luggage.

AAA provides travelers checks in $CDN, which you can then use in subsequent ports. Failing that, use your credit cards.

It's good that you're arriving the day before departure. Montreal is a very interesting city, and it's quite enjoyable to just wander around taking in the sights.

I do suggest a "caleche" (horse drawn carriage) ride through the streets of Old Montreal. It is a lovely cobbled stoned area of the city right at the foot of the port. This will allow you to take in the sights in a fun way.

Archived