Sharing a Cabin...with a 4 year old!

Olwyn

Hi Everyone!

We are taking a family cruise next year, and I have a few questions!

We sailed before on the Star Princess, and had 4 adjoining balconies....which everyone loved!

:D

I got a good deal because of previous work in travel. My darling neice Kate was 20 months at the time, and slept in a crib in an alcove outside the washroom, which is like a walk in closet on the Star. (It worked very well, since it gave her a quiet area).

Anyway, the question is, Kate will be 4 years old this time around, and I wonder what others have done in this situation? Too big for a crib, too noisy in the main room...

:confused:

The family suites would be just too crowded for 7 adults, and we really want cabins in a row!

What to do with Kate?

Thanks

Olwyn

I have NO idea cause at 4, my oldest was a dream!

What do her parents say? Wouldn't your niece be sleeping in a room with the parents? And while she is sleeping, just close the doors that were connecting the rooms?

I guess I just don't see a problem with a 4year old. A toddler/infant is a much bigger problem then a 4 year old. By then, they are probably in preschool and know how to behave in a group. :)

Hi Michele!

Yes, I am sure that Kate will be much better at 4 than she was at 20 months...but if you had only one room, where would you put her? In one of the twin beds? Then where would your husband sleep?:rolleyes:

If she is in a bed in the main room...would a snoring mate not wake her?

Just thoughts!

Thanks!

Olwyn:)

Ohhhh I got it now. ;) It takes me a while to process things...mommy brain. lol

What cruiseline are you going on now? Princess again? Most regular balcony cabins have room for up to 4 people in them. And those "people" are suppose to be adults. So you could easily fit a 4 year old.

So for instance....on my past few cruises

On Disney we had a Verandah Balcony...it had one big queen bed, one single and one pullman that came down from the ceiling and was on top of the single

On Carnival (OV), we had 2 singles made into a double...then a pullman over the double PLUS another roll away bed brought it.

On RCCL Freedom, we have a queen sized bed and then a couch that will convert into a double for my 2 kids.

And in August, the room is another suite, so once again, no problems finding places for the kids to sleep.

So it all depends...which cruiseline is it?

When making reservations, your niece will be put in as a person in the room. So there will be a place for her to sleep. I've been researching for another cruise next year and found on RCCL, when you punch in 3 people there are only certain rooms you can be put in. On Disney Wonder there was a queen bed and a fold down couch (basically a futon). That was were our DS4 slept. Its big enough for an adult. And we didn't have a problem with my husband snoring and waking him up!!:D I'm sure she sill be fine, just make sure you tell your TA you want rooms together!

Thanks again for all your suggestions! Is this site not wonderful! What would we do without each other??:)

Was considering an inflatable mattress for Kate, but have now thought of getting the end room, (in a string of 4 balcony cabins), being the one with the pull down bed! Hopefully I can get this sorted!

Next question is...which cruise line??

We want to do a more port intensive cruise, and I have narrowed it down to either, The Radiance of the Seas, out of Fort Lauderdale (8 days)...or The Crown Princess out of San Juan (7 days)...March 2008.

The Crown is brand new, of course, but Radiance sails out of Florida, much less expensivew to fly to than San Juan.

Any ideas, from anyone who has sailed both lines would be great!

Thanks again!

Olwyn

Thanks again for all your suggestions! Is this site not wonderful! What would we do without each other??:)

Was considering an inflatable mattress for Kate, but have now thought of getting the end room, (in a string of 4 balcony cabins), being the one with the pull down bed! Hopefully I can get this sorted!

Next question is...which cruise line??

We want to do a more port intensive cruise, and I have narrowed it down to either, The Radiance of the Seas, out of Fort Lauderdale (8 days)...or The Crown Princess out of San Juan (7 days)...March 2008.

The Crown is brand new, of course, but Radiance sails out of Florida, much less expensivew to fly to than San Juan.

Any ideas, from anyone who has sailed both lines would be great!

Thanks again!

Olwyn

What's the itinerary for each?

Hi Again,

We have pretty much settled on Princess for a few reasons.

Princess has interconnecting balconies which we love! RCCL does not, apparently. Also because I am a previous client, we can give a small deposit for the cruise of $278 per cabin, instead of the usual $500...but most importantly, we love the freestyle dining! For a family this is wonderful! I have not heard great things about Norwegian, so we avoid them.

The itinerary is out of San Juan, because we also wanted a port intensive cruise, which I think I mentioned. It will be,

St. Thomas, St. Kitts, Grenada, Bonaire, and Aruba.

The other option was Barbados, St. Lucia, Antigua, Tortola, St. Thomas and San Juan, but my folks are on an Oceania cruise right now doing the 3 middle ports.

Any further suggestions you might have for excursions into these ports with Kate would be wonderful. My sister suggested the Coral Farm on St. Thomas...but that's it so far. Any aquariums or the like that you know of?

Thanks lots!

Olwyn:)

Archived