Stroller advice, please?

ambrga

We want to get a new stroller before we cruise- we have a peg perego pliko 3 which I love and DH doesn't care for.... looking at some maclaren strollers and the techno XT seems to have a big canopy- so big we wouldn't need an additional rayshade which many cruisers advise on...anyone travel with a maclaren stroller- and if so- which one- and how did it handle at the diff ports? Thanks in advance for any advice!:)

I love strollers. My dh doesn't because I am always coming up with an excuse to buy a new one. My garage is filling up. Honestly, I think your P3 will be fine on a cruise. I have an Inglesina Zippy (about the same thing as your P3), but I wanted something smaller and more portable than a Zippy for travel. I also hate when it gets dirty on airplanes, so I started my search. I ended up getting a Chicco C6 (11 pounds, 2 recline positions, decent sun canopy (not the best, but good), small basket, travel bag included, 5 point harness, ...). So far, I think it will be perfect for my 16 month old on our next cruise. The Chicco is cheap (~$50), so it was perfect since I hate when the airlines get grease on my Zippy. If it gets greasy when I gate check it, oh well, it was cheap.

Some people really love their Mac strollers. Volos are good, but better for older toddlers. It doesn't have a recline, and has a more shallow seat. Mac Triumph is the same as the Volo, but reclines (canopy isn't so good).

If you get anything bigger than those Macs, you'll miss your P3. The P3 is a really great stroller, but it's a bit bigger than the other nice umbrellas I mentioned. Make sure you don't take something too big. You want something you can fold small and store in your cruise cabin. My Zippy, and probably the P3, takes up more space than my new C6. I think I could store the C6 under the bed in a cabin, but not my Zippy.

My favorite stroller review site with message boards is:

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topics&forum=14

Those people really know their strollers.

Let me know if you have any more questions or need more advice. I LOVE strollers. I'll watch this thread.

THANKS SO MUCH FOR YOUR POST!

My DH insisted we get the Mac Techno for our June cruise... so I dutifully picked it up while out today but have not taken it out of the box and know exactly where my receipt is... I know the Techno is not an umbrella stroller but DH liked the fact that it feels lighter and has a better (stabilized) harness system over our Peg Pliko... they seem to have comparable canopies... do I need to buy a ray shade too do you think???

We won't be flying to get to our ship... so I don't have the grease concern- I laughed when I read your post b/c I would be the same about that as you!!

THANKS SO MUCH FOR YOUR POST!

My DH insisted we get the Mac Techno for our June cruise... so I dutifully picked it up while out today but have not taken it out of the box and know exactly where my receipt is... I know the Techno is not an umbrella stroller but DH liked the fact that it feels lighter and has a better (stabilized) harness system over our Peg Pliko... they seem to have comparable canopies... do I need to buy a ray shade too do you think???

We won't be flying to get to our ship... so I don't have the grease concern- I laughed when I read your post b/c I would be the same about that as you!!

I'd decide about the extra shade after you get the stroller out. Take it for a stroll in the sun, then decide. Personally, I think it's just one more thing to pack and keep track of. I LOVE the shade on my Zippy (it extends all the way to the napper bar), and the shade on the C6 doesn't even come close to that, but it's good enough. I'll take a light blanket (or I'll use a beach towel) to drape over that area if I absolutely have to on shore excursions. It's not something I am too concerned about. Which excursions are you going on? We plan to take our kids to beaches or on van excursions, so we won't be walking and walking and walking directly into the sun.

It sounds like your dh has his mind made up. That stroller should be great - I just wish I knew more about it.

Have a great trip.

PS - Here are some reviews of the Techno XT:

http://www.windsorpeak.com/reviews/items/Strollers/Maclaren/sbr/date_desc/178/index.htm

I LOVED my Maclaren. I cannot remember what model it was but the best part was that it had a much higher weight capacity than the other folding strollers. My little boy was always tall for his age and weighed more. So by three to four he outweighed the limits of our first umbrella stroller. The Maclaren also had a much higher head clearance on the canopy, so Timmys head wasn't pushed up into the canopy all the time. I found my Maclaren at a great discount at Babies R Us. It was a floor model and had some scratches. That was three years ago. It has been handed down to friends and has had non stop use. My girlfriends pass it around for when they travel. I tell you that was the best investment I ever made. And even when Timmy got a little big for it, I still took it on trips. I loaded it up with our carryons and pushed them around the airport instead of carrying everything!!!:D

Hi, we have a maclaren quest that we recently brought on our cruise. its funny b/c we also have a p3. we were initally debating which one to bring. we brought the maclaren and kept saying how we'd made the right choice. the thing is you need to store the stroller in your room when its not in use. the maclaren folded and fit under our bed. no way the p3 would have. and i really don't think it would have fit into the doorway in our room.

the quest reclines but nowhere near a full recline. but really when my daughter was tired it didn't matter. we didn't have an extra shade. the shade on the maclaren rotates so we could completely cover her head when needbe. and a couple of times we threw a towel over her to protect the rest...worked out fine for us.

Definitly bring an umbrella stroller of some type. I think the P3 would be too big!

consider getting the Quest instead. we have had it now for over a year and its great. The Techno is several pounds heavier and a little more bulky. The quest slots in between the Volo and the techno. it has most of the features of the techno, but its more lightweight. hope this helps.

Archived