Maile Leaf Lei Purchase

Woobie22

We are doing a wedding renewal ceremony in Oahu. I was just wondering if I would be able to purchase one of these lei's for my husband. The company doing the ceremony charges $40-$50 for this lei and I was wondering if I would do better to buy one on my own instead. We are staying in Waikiki, so is there a place nearby where I could purchase one cheaper? Thanks for any help in this!

Hi Woobie22,

Renewing your vows sounds wonderful. Congratulations!

I did a quick google and found prices between $50-$60.00. I was surprised to see the lei available on Oahu as I thought we used to order it from the Big Island. Maybe that's the reason for the high cost? Hopefully someone else might know.

(I did see an artificial one, made of that silk material, for very cheap. But my goodness, that would simply not do for this occassion! :D )

The searches showed various lei shops in Chinatown with phone numbers.

Hope this helps!

Aloha,

Noreen.

You can buy cheap and good leis in chinatown, if you happen to go there.

This is the best place to buy on the island. Manua Kea and Pauahi Streets.

There's also a row of lei stands at the airport, walking distance from the main terminal.

1077876-Leis_of_Love-Honolulu.jpg

The original question was hoping for leis in waikiki, I wonder if the international market place has them cheaply. I haven't been there for a while but maybe they do. That's right in the middle of waikiki.

Quick question. I haven't seen many maile leaf leis at the lei stands, etc. OTOH, I haven't particularly been looking for one. Are they common at the stands or the shops in Chinatown? Just curious, might have to get one for DH some time.

beachchick

I'm sure you could get them in Chinatown.

It's what the men traditionally wear, sometimes just maile, sometimes maile + pikake. They have to make them for weddings, graduations, and politicians wear them a lot. :) They're not the cheapest leis though.

I'm sure you could get them in Chinatown.

It's what the men traditionally wear, sometimes just maile, sometimes maile + pikake. They have to make them for weddings, graduations, and politicians wear them a lot. :) They're not the cheapest leis though.

How do you get to Chinatown?

Thanks for all the information. I was concerned about waiting until I arrived because it would be too late to order from the company doing the wedding. I also saw another thread about lei greetings at the airport and they had a similar type of mens lei. Maybe I should do that just in case I can't find one. Will they last for 2 days because that is how long after I arrive before I need to use it? Thanks again everyone for all the help.

Also how far away is Costco because we will have a rental car if it isn't too far from Waikiki we could do that. Thanks again!

Archived