Customs in Toronto

Mysteryreader

Dh and I are flying from Philadelphia to Toronto to Vancouver a wk from Thurs. We'll be cruising Celebrity Summit to AK. We have a one-hr layover between planes in Toronto. My dh must have gotten an advanced degree in worrying, b/c he's now concerned that we'll have to go through customs in Toronto and will miss our next flight.

Has anyone done a similar route? Will I be listening to "I told you so!" for the rest of our vacation?

M/R

You will have to do customs,as far as I know. Last summer, my table mate flew to Vancouver via Montreal and had to claim her luggage, do customs and then check her bag again. Were the flights booked together with the same airline? If that is the case they would have had to taken this into account. You should really check with your carrier.

Were the flights booked together with the same airline? If that is the case they would have had to taken this into account. You should really check with your carrier.

We got our flight reservations through Celebrity so we had no say in them. They're both Air Canada flights.

M/R

I'm glad someone mentioned this! The same thought just occurred to us yesterday, and we leave on the 11th! We'll be flying from Vegas -Salt Lake City-Vancouver. There is a two hour gap between flights in Salt Lake. I assume that is where we must go through customs, since Vegas to Salt Lake is domestic. They are booked with the same airline. I have never been through customs. Will someone know to tell us what to do and where to go, or do we have to figure it out for ourselves?

Swannie:

You'll clear Canadian Customs in Vancouver. Its very straightforward. On your flight you'll get a Cdn. Customs declaration form to fill out. Once you get off the plane, just follow the signs, you'll go through Customs where you're id will be checked (passport is best), then you pick up your baggage. Just before leaving the baggage claim you hand in your customs declaration form and then you are on your way out the airport.

On the way back you'll pre-clear US Customs at the Vancouver airport. After you check in, pick up a US Customs form and fill it out before entering the Duty-Free store which leads to US Customs. If you are a US citizen, once in the US Customs area keep to the left as there is a separate area for US citizens and the lines are usually shorter. Just ask the staff when you enter for help and directions.

I'm a Canadian and just did a trip to Las Vegs in July. For more info. on the Vancouver Airport check out www.yvr.ca

Toronto Customs can be a challenge. Depending on the time of day, you can wait an hour to get through. We were there last Tuesday - our flight arrived at 6:15 and we finally cleared customs at 7:25. Others flying into Toronto on the same day had arrived around midday and it took them 10 minutes. If your connection looks tight and it is very busy, talk to one of the floor agents and ask for their help in getting through. Also, be sure to look at the lines to the far right. For us, the last line was actually feeding three counters while all the others wree only feeding one. Once you clear the counter, you collect your luggage and then for connecting customers, there is a place to re-check your luggage to your final destination.

Good Luck.

Toronto Customs can be a challenge. Depending on the time of day, you can wait an hour to get through. We were there last Tuesday - our flight arrived at 6:15 and we finally cleared customs at 7:25. Also, be sure to look at the lines to the far right. For us, the last line was actually feeding three counters while all the others wree only feeding one.

Good Luck.

Two questions, Plut0: (1) was that 6:15 a.m. or p.m.? Our flight is scheduled to arrive at 8:30 a.m. (2) Do you mean avoid lines on the far right or that's the better side?

M/R

We, too, are from Philly. Returned from Vancouver the end of May via Toronto, and are cruising Alaska in September, also through Toronto to Vancouver via Air Canada. We have one hour in Toronto. There is a bus that takes you from one terminal to the other (the PHL-Toronto leg is a small plane and leaves from a commuter-type terminal), similar to the people movers in Orlando, etc. We had no real problem in May, and I was advised by the Air Canada agent that did our booking for September that we should go straight to/from customs (i.e. don't stop at duty free or lolligag until we are at our new departure gate). Since you will already be checked in from PHL they will know that you are in Toronto and on your way to the connecting flight. Shouldn't be a mind-boggling problem...just don't let yourself get carried away worrying! The flight from Toronto to Vancouver is LONG...but unlike domestic airlines they do feed you. As I remember, the meal in May was halfway decent! Hope you have a great trip...

Mystery,

It was 6:00pm. There several in my group that arrived in the morning and the were through in 10-15 minutes. Seahags is correct, don't lollygag, get through all of the customs and to your connecting gate before you shop, eat or use the rest rooms. Don't worry as they are pretty good about scheduling the connecting flights with just the right amount of time to connect.

Have fun.

Mary

• 2 weeks later...

We were there in July. We were among hundreds of other people, and there were multiple calls for, "Who is going to ____ on the ____ flight?" These people were pulled out to a separate line to be processed faster. We made our flight in time, but 3 out of our 4 suitcases didn't! They were delivered to our home the next day. I think they need to reconfigure the whole arrangement!

Archived