Does bottled soda explode in cargo hold?

I have decided that it is absolutely essential that I take Bottled Sierra Mist on my cruise? What can a southern girl do when I find out both the tea and coffee are not fresh brewed?:eek: Made from a liquid concentrate:rolleyes: I have never heard of such a thing!! Anyway...if I check my soda will it explode in the cargo hold? I hate to have to carry it onboard the plane. I would pick it up before boarding the ship but we are going straight from the airport to the ship. Is there a grocery store at the dock in Port Canaveral?

TOO Funny! As soon as I finished reading todays posts, I was going to ask the exact same question! Never seen it asked before! I'm a Diet Coke junkie....Can't live without it, must have it 24/7. And as a Diet Coke connoissier :D , there is a definite difference in taste depending on the container and my favorite is the 24 oz bottles. Plus, I can buy a 6 pack of these 24 oz bottles for 2.50! If I'm fairly certain they won't blow up on the plane, I plan on bringing a small extra suitcase for them and then use it on the way home for souvenirs. Hope you get some answers!

It is not only the plane cargo hold that you have to worry about! The luggage handlers at the pier and on board the ship can do some damage also! I opened my suitcase and was amazed when I noticed some of my things were wet. Then I noticed it was cola colored. Apparently, my suitcase was underneath a case that held sodas and either from the weight of the cases above or a solid "hit", at least one can/bottle/whatever exploded and the contents poured over and into my case. (If you have ever seem how high they pack those luggage crates and how hard they hit the walls you will easily understand how not only do sodas explode but handles/wheels are ripped from luggage.) I know it happened between the pier and the stateroom since the case was dry in the hotel the night before embarkation. RCI was great! They cleaned my clothes free of charge and I even sent the suitcase to be cleaned. The case was returned without so much as a watermark! I now wrap everything in plastic and use the 2 gallon bags for many of the things to attempt to avoid this problem in the future.

I need to have caffeine free sodas so I purchase mine in Miami and carry them on board. Regrettably, I cannot help you with Port Canaveral.

I remember the hotel telling us last year that there was a Walgreens nearby (we stayed at the Holiday Inn Express Cocoa Beach. I just lost the addresses but looked up on the 'net - there is a Publix, Winn Dixie and a Walgreens for sure in Cocoa Beach. I think from the addresses that the Winn Dixie and Walgreens were more in the direction of the port. Anything past that, I'd have to pull out and watch our video for what was on the way. (I know it sounds crazy but it was my friend's first cruise and she filmed us driving from the Holiday Inn all the way to port.)

I don't know about sodas, but beer doesn't explode in the cargo hold. We had a friend ask us to bring some beer found only in Key West back from a trip. We wrapped each bottle really well with bubble wrap and dirty clothes (SHHH!). All 12 bottles made it from Fort Lauderdale to Houston intact. In retrospect, tossing glass bottles (even well wrapped ones) in a suitcase was not one of our better ideas!

I took a flight to Las Vegas with (plastic) bottled soda and there was no problem. If you are really concerned about exploding soda or bottles breaking, you can get bubble wrap to protect your beverages. I hope this helps....

David..............:cool:

With the plastic bottles, I did not use any wrap at all. The bottles were just fine. In the cargo hold, the temputures do not go to freezing levels. Keep in mind of the weight of your bag. If your luggage is over 80 lbs, you will pay more to bring it.

David......................:cool:

Archived